Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 8 Speed equivalents

Can I use Shimano 8 speed Nexus shifter with Shimano Alivio RD-M410 SGS long cage, 8 speed
At the moment I have combined shifter brake and need to replace with separate shifter and brake lever

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

oldmixte | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks folks, I'll just cut the combined shifter/brake to remove the brake and fit the separate lever that comes with the electric kit

oldmixte | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks
Yes the 8 Speed Nexus is for a hub. I have a unit that I was hoping to use on my Shimano 8 speed derailleur to convert the bike to an electric one.

Bungle_52 | 1 year ago
1 like

I'm not sure but I would be careful. The Nexus changer could be for a hub gear and I'm not sure the ratios are the same as for derailleur gears.

IanGlasgow replied to Bungle_52 | 1 year ago
0 likes

This: Nexus and Alfine 8-speeds are hub gears. The shifters are inerchangeable (I have a BMC with a Nexus hub and Alfine shifter) but not compatible with derailleurs.
AFAIK the Nexus shifter is a twist grip and the Alfine is levers.

IanMSpencer replied to IanGlasgow | 1 year ago
1 like

Just googling around and someone highlighted that the cable pull on the hub gears may not be the same per gear due to how the gears are designed internally.

So I would agree and the answer is to go to the Shimano support site and check for compatibility there. (On a phone ATM so not inclined to go rummaging for a direct link).

Latest Comments