Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 105 to GRX upgrade advice

Hi all  just after some component advice with regards changing my 105 groupset to GRX.   I ride a Trek checkpoint ALR 5 I am looking to change my crank (50/34) and cassette (11-34) to an 11 speed 1-11 set up. I have recently changed my rear mech to an Ultegra RX clutch mech. I do most of my riding  now off road.

My question is  what sized crank and cassette can I upgrade to? I have workd out that I will need to add a rear mech hanger to support  larger cassette without changing my rear mech. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Reasty15 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much for advice, much appreciated. 

huntswheelers | 3 years ago
0 likes

Guess it's what you want to achieve....RX will max comfortable to 36 up back without a wolf tooth or similar..... You need to check out some gravel bike/bikepacking sites for inspiration..... I'm on a Sram Apex, 10 Speed CX bike ( Gravel spec'd ) on Panaracers with 46/34 front, 11/36 up back on a GX mech which will run to 42 ....with 46/34 and 11/36 it's 25 gear inches on inner and 36.... MTB are typically 18 gear inches for off road....this gives me 113 gear inches on road.....

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Official Max Cassette teeth for that Mech is 34t - whether you can exceed that depends on the hanger (I presume a Road-link or similar) and your b-screw.

Its not clear what you mean by crank.  If you are changing your crank to a 1x GRX one then their 1x cranks come with a 40t chain ring. Its not clear if other chain rings are available.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/grx-11-speed/FC-RX600-1...

Drinfinity replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Daughters CX bike is running 11-42 11 speed on the back with an Ultegra mech, and no Goat link. I didn't think it was possible either!

Latest Comments