Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Severn bridge cycle route help

We have cycle tours regularly crossing the bridge into Wales and we’re trying to find a way of anticipating which side of the bridge will be closed in advance. They closed the south path last week and it caused chaos amongst the group. We were using our usual route along New Passage Road and that closure started the confusion, which was then compounded by them needing to find a way over to the north path (steep steps over a footbridge…)

We’re thinking of rerouting to approach from Olverston, but I’m thinking you’d need to know which side of the bridge would be open before you get to the big roundabout? (Turn left and through Aust if you have to use the South side). I can’t find an info source that would let us inform our riders in advance. Avoiding the A403 would be a massive bonus.

Any local knowledge welcome!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Bmblbzzz | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's very rare that either path is closed, so I wouldn't worry about it. But if you do find the one you intended to use is closed, the easiest way to reach the other – avoiding steps – is via the path around the edge of the roundabout. This might sound scary, but really it isn't. 

Latest Comments