Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Scribe Race D Wheelset vs Hunt 4 Season for Road / gravel build

Trying to choose the best bang for my hard earned bucks wheelset upgrade for my 1 x 11 SRAM Force Vitus Énergie CX build. I bought a rolling frameset from Wiggles Bay outlet & reat of the groupo in bits & bobs. Looks great & rides fab, but it is a bit on the heavy side, obs I can't change the frame which is lighting for an ally cx bike, but the stock WTBs i23, Novatech hubs in particular seem to be pretty flat, heavy & uninspiring to ride & im puzzling whether to spend 350 quid ish on a wheel upgrade will give it some zing. At the mo I've seen the Scribe D - Race, which get a great review on here, & also the Hunt 4 Seasons discs also at around 370. In reality most of my time will be spent 3-4 hr rides on country lanes, broken tarmac with the odd foray into the woods or gravel fire roads to link up my road routes... so weight is an issue, it's also fairly hilly everywhere in my area. I'm hoping to add some compass Bon Jon 35's to them too. Does anyone on here have experience of either wheelset, I think the scribes are lighter by 100 grams or so, but Hunts seem better known (poss more reliable & easier to sell on second hand when / if I want to upgrade) ? Cheers for shy thoughts 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

logomomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Can't speak for the scribes but my hunt 4 season are nearly 5 years old, covered about 10k winter riding, been used on tarmac and gravel, hosed down regularly and are still spinning nicely and true. Really good bang for buck.

Also have their 650b set which came as part of a rolling mason bokeh chassis and they've been bullet proof too.

Customer service has been good (i needed to change from 15mm to 12mm axles and they sent converters out next day FOC

Zermattjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

My experience with Hunt's 4 Season was less positive. Maybe they've improved things, but the pair I bought around 3 years ago had a lot of issues with the rear hub coming loose/developing play. They have amazing customer service (they just replaced them, sometimes sending me a new wheelset on next-day delivery despite it just being a rear hub problem) but honestly I'd rather I never had to find out how good their after-sales department are - I just want a set of wheels that work. I ended up with having around 4 or 5 replacements and the issue just kept happening.

I've recently bought a set of Alexrims CXD4 for my winter bike, very impressed - they're at least as good as the Hunts, no issues at all and they're lighter too. I'll probably pop them on the gravel whip once this horrible winter moves on and the trails dry out. Just another one for your consideration!

https://road.cc/content/review/230934-alexrims-cxd4-700c-disc-tl-ready-c...

HLaB | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got Hunt Aero Wide for my summer wheels and Prime (I forget the model) for my winter wheels. There's not anything notable between them performance wise though.

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

I got some Scribe 365-D wheels as they were cheap. They're alright but I definitely prefer my hand built wheels from DCR that didn't cost too much more.

RoadieRoadie replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for feedback & interesting to hear that the DCR hand built are good, second recommendation on here for them. Great as I hadn't heard of them before... 

Podc replied to RoadieRoadie | 3 years ago
0 likes

Have another vote for DCR from me. Great wheels and service 👍

Drinfinity | 3 years ago
1 like

I've got Hunt 4 Seasons on my cyclocross bike. The original Rollen wheel popped apart at the weld on a fast farm track. I am impressed with the Hunts - tubeless tyres stay on at low pressure, hubs keep rolling through all the abuse of CX, rims are true. 

RoadieRoadie replied to Drinfinity | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for recommendations for the Hunts, do they come tubeless ready out of the box ? 

schlepcycling replied to RoadieRoadie | 3 years ago
1 like

Yes, just tell Hunt that you want to run them tubeless and they'll fit the tubeless tape and valves for you, they'll even fit tyres if you like what they have available. 

zeeridesbikes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the hunts. Great wheels but the insanely loud freewheel is something to note. I don't mind it. Alerts people I'm coming without having to use a bell. 

Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

I bought a bike a while back.  It came with Hunt 4 Season wheels.  I have ridden the bike 4,000 km in all weathers.  No issues at all with them.

RoadieRoadie replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, good to know, the Hunts look to be very very good. Do you know what they weigh in reality ? 

Richbeck | 3 years ago
3 likes

Get yourself some hand-built wheels - you will not look back.

DCR wheels for me.

Latest Comments