Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Schwalbe Pro One tubeless availability

Does anyone know where it is possible to buy a pair of Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres in 700x28 size? I've been waiting for them to come into stock on all the usual websites (Wiggle, Merlin etc) for more than 6 months. Unfortunately my Hunt wheels (older hookless rimes) are very restricted in the tubeless tyres they can run; basically Hunt pretty well insist on Schwalbe. However, there seems to be no stock in the UK

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

stomec | 2 years ago
1 like

Are you sure you want them?  I bought a pair of Hunt wheels in the summer and paid to have the Pro One's fitted tubeless - first time going tubeless so I thought may as well get it done properly.

My god they were awful!  No grip, felt really sketchy downhill and cornering.  I lasted 2 long rides before taking them off and replacing with tubeless conti GP5000 - bliss!    I accept that I've ridden 4000IIs for years on my previous wheels so maybe I am just used to the feel of the Conti's but seriously, I would never ride the Schwalbe Pro One again. Felt downright dangerous.

I love the wheels but the fact that Hunt recommended such bad tyres has made me think twice about buying from them again...

Secret_squirrel replied to stomec | 2 years ago
4 likes

I've been riding Pro Ones for 5 years and dont recognise this description.   What pressure were you using? 

However I've only briefly ridden GP4000's.

Sniffer replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I went from clincher GP4000s to the tubeless Pro Ones.  Didn't think grip was much different to be honest.

stomec replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel wrote:

I've been riding Pro Ones for 5 years and dont recognise this description.   What pressure were you using? 

However I've only briefly ridden GP4000's.

Went for 80, which I'd seen recommended on road.cc iirc. It was my first time on carbon rims as well so I initially thought it could be the brakes, but felt so much happier when I swapped. Could of course be completely the cycling placebo effect!!

hawkinspeter replied to stomec | 2 years ago
0 likes

Well, that another data point on my theory of slippery Pro Ones - don't go much over 70PSI with them.

pablo replied to stomec | 2 years ago
1 like

Not an issue I recognise personally went from gp4000 and 5000 to pro one TL and found grip levels to be comparable. The only thing I can think of is pressures. Run gp's at 80 psi tubed and the pro ones at around 60.

stomec replied to pablo | 2 years ago
0 likes

pablo wrote:

Not an issue I recognise personally went from gp4000 and 5000 to pro one TL and found grip levels to be comparable. The only thing I can think of is pressures. Run gp's at 80 psi tubed and the pro ones at around 60.

60!  Must be where I went wrong. Interestingly this is a lot lower than Hunt recommended. 

thax1 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I run a set of original generation Hunt aero-wide. I've used Schwalbe Pro Ones; Hutchinson Fusions; and now 5000TLs. All have mounted successfully (Schwalbe's were worst) and performed safely at 70-80psi.

5000's TL clear favourite so far.

Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

My LBS had them in stock last month. OK I paid RRP, but it might be worth a few phone calls.

renouj21 replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I live in Jersey, my LBS hasn't got them, and couldn't offer a date for availability. We're quite dependent on mail order over here...

Sniffer replied to renouj21 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Ah, I am in Scotland, bit of a trek.

Mantel have them, shipping costs may be expensive.  Disclaimer, I have never used the retailer.

emjay49 replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Mantel are good....have used them for a while now. Max spend is £135 but prices on a lot of items are cheaper than UK but with standard shipping it evens out.

hawkinspeter replied to emjay49 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Mantel are a good bet (I've bought from them a couple of times with no problems) https://www.mantel.com/uk/schwalbe-one-tle-road-bike-tyre

Looks like they're currently out of stock but getting some more soon.

Sniffer replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

Think they had one last night, but you are correct none now.

Good to have another option.  EU sourced stuff used to be easier.  For example I found them on Bike24, but they no longer ship to GB.

matthewn5 replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

If you're prepared for a bit of faff, you can set up a shipping forwarder to receive stuff from shops in the EU that no longer ship to the UK, who will apply the right shipping labels and forward on to you. I've used this one: https://www.colisexpat.com

Sniffer replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

Actually the link is to the Schwalbe One. The Pro One seems to be available.

hawkinspeter replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

Actually the link is to the Schwalbe One. The Pro One seems to be available.

Cool - I was on my phone, so I didn't check that well. Previously I've got their set of 2 x tyres and sealant which works out cheaper than getting 2 x tyres, so I was looking for that and must have picked the wrong one.

I'll give you my usual warning about Pro Ones - they're delicate and I found that they became very slippery in the wet when they were at higher pressures (IIRC over 70 PSI with the 28mm ones). I switched over to getting the Continental TL5000s instead which I've found to be superb.

renouj21 replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

I thought Mantel were going to be the answer, but I've just discovered they don't ship to Jersey (or any other islands). So back to square one. It's amazing to me that such a supposedly popular tyre has been pretty well unavailable all year long

Secret_squirrel replied to renouj21 | 2 years ago
0 likes

It hasn't.  You arent looking hard enough, or using the stock notifications.

I bought 2x 28mm from Merlin in June.  I've had multiple in stock alerts  from ProBikeKit and Wiggle in that time.

<edit> availability definately seems a bit bleaker than June <end edit>

The 30's are were harder to find.

renouj21 replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've had stock notifications running from Wiggle and Probikekit. Not sure about Merlin, I thought I'd set that one up as well. Maybe just not quick enough on the draw.

Secret_squirrel replied to renouj21 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Can you fit 30's?  I would have killed for these when I bought my 28's

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-tires-and-inner-tubes/schwalbe...

Latest Comments