Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

School Run Mum

Warwickshire Police to send warning letter.

https://youtu.be/NZ0aNtM4SRM

Driver of Q7 sofamobile gets hysterical because she is late for the school run. This means of course it is acceptable to rev, weave, sound horn and stop for arguments.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Simon_MacMichael | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for posting. Pretty sure we had an almost identical one to this on NMotD a year or two back (in fact only the datestamp made me 100 per cent sure it wasn't actually this one) I've flagged this one to the News team.

peted76 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Private vehicles for human transport width should be limited to.. 1.8m including mirrors. Anything wider should be banned. Or make people take an extended test to be classed as fit to drive one. 

That Q7 is 2.21 meters wide, it must impossible to park in a modern car parking space. 

wycombewheeler | 1 year ago
9 likes

never time to wait until it's safe to pass

always time to have an argument

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
4 likes

Some fairly spectacular cockwomblery from the driver there. When she pulls over and you say "What's happening here" I'd lay odds she was grabbing her 'phone to video you; somewhere on social media (unless she has the sense to realise it would be self-incriminating) there'll be a video of "selfish cyclists stopping me from picking up my child."

kil0ran | 1 year ago
5 likes

I think I'd have waved her through at the 2:55 mark, enough space there to single out and just let off the gas a little. I ride that sort of road all the time and more than happy to pull to the side in that situation to let them past. I'll also wave drivers past on twisty roads where I've got a better view of the road ahead than them. Equally, if its not safe to pass I'll ride central to prevent it.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
5 likes

2:30 mark. They stopped and waited for their mate to ensure he was ok, should have stayed in and let the nuisance driver pass then. Although she probably would have stopped for an argument then. 

IanMSpencer replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
2 likes

Agreed, there was a bit of a moment where as my mate had stayed there so long there was a "Hmph, let's go", we normally get passed on the next section so that was really in my mind - let's go and they can pass where we normally get passed. So could have been nicer, but wasn't feeling the love after watching the performance in my mirror having ridden about 65 miles. My mate is really chilled with motorists normally, so for him to have words is unusual. He said afterwards he felt he was being pushed up the road - note the odd swerve to the extreme left as they sound the horn - that is not the action of an attempted pass, it looked like an attempt at an undertake as my mate wobbled out due to being harrassed.

You'll note at the very first pass I was expecting the driver to push through and though I would not have been happy, we have survived the experience previously - so really if they thought that was a passing place, it is odd that she didn't try and pass on a wider section.

Hirsute replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
4 likes

Still surprised despite your explanation you did not just wait 10 seconds.
They are very much are the driver you don't want behind you.
I'm all for making a point though, which had been made by your mate !

IanMSpencer replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

We all do things that in retrospect aren't well thought through! As I said, at the time, in my mind the next bit of road was good enough for passing, (given we've been passed enough times along there in the past), in retrospect, it wasn't and it was therefore sensible to change the plan.

Edit: just rewatched and I now remember that I saw the oncoming white VW and assumed the Audi would be blocked (hence the laugh) so set off thinking the Audi would be a bit behind.

Hirsute replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes, I thought the same that it would be a stand off !

OldRidgeback replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
5 likes

It's interesting that the drivers of the other two cars managed to get past and without being dangerously close or passing at speed. The woman in the Audi could've passed a few times, but chose to argue instead.

IanMSpencer replied to OldRidgeback | 1 year ago
2 likes

Exactly, though not ideal. Knowing the road, there are about 4 places where you have plenty of room to stop and pull in - group riding mentality where you look for a place several people can safely slow and come to a halt rather than struggling into a gateway. As those two cars passed you'll note no shouts of complaint or muttering, just easing off a bit and being careful of line.

kil0ran replied to OldRidgeback | 1 year ago
3 likes

Those Q7s are huge with very poor visibility for the driver at low speeds, particularly if you're on the short side. Very difficult to gauge where the car's extremities are from the driver's seat.

Having said that, most modern cars seem to suffer from this. I find it easier to park my Volvo 940 than our VW Up (which even has parking sensors). Part of the issue is non-horizontal belt lines/front window trims.

jh2727 replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

To me, 2:55 loooks like it is probably very gravelly and the perfect place to either get a puncture or endup on your arse. 

David9694 replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
2 likes

How frequently do I have to stop to allow someone who hates me to arrive 45s earlier at their next queue?

What's that driver type that goes/tries to go when it's not safe and then misses 5 other decent opportunities to go?  

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
3 likes

It's actually worse than that. This driver is using a country lane as a short cut. I believe that they were driving from Studley to Henley-in-Arden.

However, all though it may be shorter, the main road (specifically an A road linking Studley and Henley) is quicker but not a safe cycling route.

So SRM is hassling us on the slower rat run because she is late. Worse than that she turned right at the end of the road and instead of driving 200 metres onto the main road, she drove another couple of miles on single track roads of which there are several sections without room to pass an oncoming cyclist, let alone car.

Latest Comments