Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Save my saddle!

My Fizik Antares R3 saddle is a joy to ride, but the back edges are scuffed/split from the previous owner of the bike leaning it against the rough brick wall of his garage (not me, honest - as befits my pride and joy (Specialized Roubaix Dura Ace Pro SL4) it hangs on the wall of my hall). See pictures below. Does anyone know a way of sealing these damaged areas so it won't get worse? I don't really want to spoil the aesthetics by taping it but equally I don't want to further damage and end up throwing away a £100+ saddle if I can avoid it. Any suggestions for saving it very gratefully received! I have vague memories of roadmen forty years ago talking about using clear nail varnish to seal up saddle tears/splits, is that a thing or have I imagined it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Spangly Shiny | 2 weeks ago
1 like

3M Edge Sealer 4150S. Used on all manner of things that don't fly in the aviation world.

Rendel Harris replied to Spangly Shiny | 2 weeks ago
1 like

Thanks, already ordered the solution suggested below but if that doesn't work good to have a second shot in the locker!

jaymack | 3 weeks ago
1 like

You could try 'Shoe Goo'. I've used it for years to keep various pairs of running shoes going for myself/spouse/off-spring.It's quite thick and, well, gooey! I've a got a feeling that it'll do the job just fine. It is available from various places such as Amazon but also from here https://newtons-shred.co.uk/brands/shoe-goo/ . Let me know if it works 'cos no one wants to see a favourite saddle go to the great bike shop in the sky.

Rendel Harris replied to jaymack | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Thank you, I'll look into it!

ETA looks good, ordered a small tube - will report back.

Rendel Harris replied to Rendel Harris | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

Just to update this, "Shoe Goo" arrived yesterday so applied it to the damaged areas, went for an 80 km ride this morning and it's held up really well, looks like a very effective repair. Many thanks for the suggestion jaymack!

jaymack replied to Rendel Harris | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

Mischief managed! 

Rendel Harris | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Left side...

Rendel Harris | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Right side...

Latest Comments