Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rounded Off Headst bolt

Through my own carlessnes 😒 Somehow rounded off the headset bolt (pictured) I wanted to unscrew to check and clean my headset bearings after our heavy winter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trc5cdvclngnj8a/PXL_20210207_142330126.PORTRAI...

As it's a Zipp stem I assume it's a Hex bolt, are these easy to buy and replace from a bike shop although I'd preferred allen Bolt next time?

Next problem. Getting this bolt out? Is there a handy trick I should know and can use?

Thanks if you can advise

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

nniff | 3 years ago
1 like

I have no idea how you managed to do this, it doesn't need to be particularly tight.  Undo the bolts that hold the stem onto the steerer. Hold the front wheel down, pull the bars up and turn them anti-clockwise.  ease of the pressure turn them back and repeat.  Hopefully the bolt shoud loosen.  Once you've got a new bolt, make sure you've read up on how it all works before you put it back together.  For the avoidance of doubt, it is the stem bolts that do the work, not the bolt in the cap.

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

Drill the head off carefully. Remove the top cap, should allow access to the rest of the bolt. If it isn't seized cutting a simple slot should mean it can be undone simply enough with a flat head screwdriver, or if it's loose enough by hand or a pair of pliers (but be careful not to chew it up even more if it is at all tight).

Not familiar with Zipp headsets, whether it is an insert expander or a star nut, but having removed the top cap you should be able to see. An expander should release with the tension off the bolt, a star nut may need forcing out.

Any engineering supplies place should be able to supply the correct bolt, I'd get one in stainless and make sure you assemble it with some anti-seize.

It does beg the question why that bolt should be so badly damaged in the first place? You do realise that all you do is nip it up to remove play in the headset before clamping the stem to hold that tension? I could then be loosened and it will make no difference, it merely holds the cap on so doesn't need any tightening above being nipped up. Presumably it got mashed by trying to undo it? If that is the case I would suggest it had seized due to not having any coppaslip or the like applied to it before installation. Headset and top cap bolts can get covered in salty sweat so anti-seize of some sort is a must.

PP

Brooksy1882 | 3 years ago
1 like

I used a variety of methods, Allen key with elastic band/rubber glove. Araldite an old Allen key to force a turn, my extractor tools I didnt work as the drill needed to pass the bolt head but into the narrow thread? In the end I used a 7.5mm drill to drill off the head. This worked and now just need to buy a replacement bolt.

My local bike shops were shut so asked Halfords also for advice. Bring bike in, we'll order you a new headset and bearings. Will cost about £40. May take about a week. Absolute con artists 😳

Thread and Head | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm assuming you have fixed the problem by now, but if not, can ask as a general question.... is this something that is experienced regulary on bikes? 

In the main there are two reasons why a fastener head becomes damaged, when its tightened up in the first place and when its being undone disregardless of the quality of the fastener.

hawkinspeter replied to Thread and Head | 3 years ago
1 like

Thread and Head wrote:

I'm assuming you have fixed the problem by now, but if not, can ask as a general question.... is this something that is experienced regulary on bikes? 

In the main there are two reasons why a fastener head becomes damaged, when its tightened up in the first place and when its being undone disregardless of the quality of the fastener.

Depends on the bolt.

It's unusual to round off headset bolts as they shouldn't be done up tightly and hex bolts don't normally have as much of an issue with rounding off.

Now, rear derailleur adjustment screws are a different matter as they're typically JIS screws and almost everyone uses a cross-head/phillips screwdriver which almost, but not quite fits.

Thread and Head replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

I might have a solution to this problem, but I would need to know a bit more about the problem..... could you upload a photo of the tool and screw showing the lack of contact??

hawkinspeter replied to Thread and Head | 3 years ago
0 likes

The solution is to use a JIS screwdriver, and no I don't have a photo. Try it yourself on your bike and you'll see what I mean.

Podc | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'd try a the correct size torx bit and a bit of elastic band. Put the elastic band over the bolt head, push the torx drive in and then try and undo it. If you are lucky, the torx drive will get enough purchase to undo.

Good luck and hope you get it out successfully whatever method works.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

You might be able to cut a slot with a dremel tool which will allow you to use a flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew it.

Would need the right sized dremel attachment and a bit of care to try this.

pockstone | 3 years ago
2 likes

One trick for this is to gently hammer an oversizedTorx key into the hex recess. You may get enough purchase on the bolt to turn it. It shouldn't be very tight in the first place.

I'd be very wary where bearings or star nuts are involved as here. Also.that bolt looks a bit far gone for anything but a bike shop visit.

...edit....Just googled  Zipp headsets. It looks like they use T25 torx keys, so ignore my suggestion above.( It does work with rounded hex (Allen) bolts.) Have you got the correct T25 key?  There are similar looking keys available that are subtly different...I got a whole set with a cheap screwdriver kit once.. Good luck.

sticky-bottle replied to pockstone | 3 years ago
1 like

i took out a torx screw with a one size up allen key and other-way-round that generally works too

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
2 likes

Get the drill and stud removers out...

By the way, Allen bolts are hex bolts, just a trade name for them.

Drinfinity replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
1 like

I was going to suggest just mash the bolt head off with a drill. Top cap will come off, releasing tension on bolt. Then just undo by hand from star nut or whatever other gadget is down there. 

However, if the bolt rounded off, that suggests it might be seized into the star nut. A set of stud extractors is useful.

You would probably want to replace a star nut that seized. If you get aggressive with a drill it will break apart and you can take the bits out. 

hopefully you don't have a carbon steerer tube. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolt-extractor-set-5-pieces/1112V?tc=RT3&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=Cj0KCQiA34OBBhCcARIsAG32uvP6bkz4AMN9it6P_-C1-UAIARhsOCzGzAGHaLmrkK5F-q7-Lb1yazAaAvRUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Latest Comments