Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rim brake bike with good stopping power needed.

I want a bike with good stopping power. I don't like disc brakes because of the weight and price. Plus I am a good weather cyclist now that I don't commute to work.

Finding a cheap bike with a dual pivot setup is not easy. Or indeed finding a rim brake bike that has stronger braking then average does not seem to be possible either.

I did get info in dual-pivot brakes. Apparently are fitted on bikes where the frame and wheels are in a good position. I am looking at a bike £700 or less.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

fenix | 3 years ago
1 like

An unusual request. Why do you need such power ?

Don't forget the tyres need to be thought of. If you're on narrow tyres it's very easy to lock them up. Wider fatter tyres have more grip on the road.

Stebbo replied to fenix | 3 years ago
0 likes

You can lock up the rear tyre very easily irrespective of tyre. I have a vintage bike as part of my stable, built with 1970s parts. That can lock up the rear very easily if you try. 

pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Never had any issues with any Shimano 11 speed brakes 105 or ultegra. 10 speed ultegra was a bit pap bit still pretty good.

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have found that Shimano calipers with SRAM levers to be by far the best combination.  I think toe in is a waste of time, once you have used your brakes a few times the pads will have worn parallel to the rim anyway so you will have lost any toe in.  Unless you reset the toe in every couple of rides there is no point and from my experience there is no improvement in braking performance anyway, Shimano recommend toe in of 0.5mm but I have never noticed any benefit from doing this.

check12 replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a 5800 back brake with rival 10 speed brake levers, it's ok for the back but wouldn't use that combo on the front the cable pull is different and I wouldn't feel safe with it on the front. 

i use it on the back to get more tyre clearance so I can run a 25mn tyre on the back, SRAM force brakes have less ckearence than 5800 and upwards brakes (6800, r7000, r8000)

Welsh boy replied to check12 | 3 years ago
0 likes

For my commuting bike which uses deep drop brakes i use Rival levers and Miche Performance 57mm Drop Brake Calipers front and back.  £30 for a pair of calipers and they are better than the Ultegra lever/caliper pairing on my best bike.  No issues with incompatible cable pull.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/miche-performance-57mm-drop-brake-calipers-...

check12 | 3 years ago
1 like

Buy basically any Shimano equipped bike then buy a 105 or ultegra front brake either 5800 or 6800 or r7000 or r8000

or put some swissstop bxp on the front of whatever brake you get with the bike and toe them in properly 

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

"Apparently are fitted on bikes where the frame and wheels are in a good position" not sure what that means.

Anyhow, you get what you pay for. A cheap bike will have cheap(er) brakes. If you want powerful brakes you will probably have to upgrade them. You won't find a bike for £700 or less, brand new with top end brakes fitted.

It also depends what you mean by 'stronger braking than average'. Depends across what range of braking ability you are looking at. Surely you just need what is adequate for your intended use? If you are riding the Alps descending at 60mph often you will probably want a top quality brake, if you are riding in Norfolk you could probably accept much worse, but still perfectly adequate braking.

PP

DarkRider replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

I did some research. And I believe all brake is universal compatible. and its a lot to do with the brakes quality oppose to the combination of the diameter of the wheels, frame and caliper shape.

The price is cheaper then what I expected so I will be a top-quality one. 

Latest Comments