Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Record vs Dura ace calipers

Hi all!
I am about to stock some high end rim brake calipers at a good price. Currently, I can get a set of record 2018 or dura ace 9000 calipers at the same price. Any recommedations from people who have tried both? (Maybe I should add that I generally mix components from both campag, shimano and sram - so the levers could be any of these).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've tried both and they're both absolutely excellent. But as Welsh boy says, most people will match the brand of their shifters, because of the difference in how they manage the quick release.

Campag afficionados may prefer the 'D-Skeleton' set from Campag, which has a dual pivot front and single pivot rear.

Why not stock both?

theslowcyclistxx replied to matthewn5 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I am considering that as well, although it is a good point that the usability of the dura ace quick release might decide, since it is much more likely that they will be paired with shim or sram levers!

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
1 like

I can't offer any first hand experience of the options you mention but I use Ultegra callipers with Force levers and find the feel much better than the Ultegra callipers with the Ultegra levers. I will mention the obvious which you have probably considered and that is of the quick release set up, Record callipers will need Campag levers if you need a quick release mechanism 

Latest Comments