Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recommend a Snood

As above as pressie time fast approaches I need to drop some hints on the fam.  Been using my fleece motor biking snood the last couple of winters and ideally would like to upgrade to something fleecy and windproof with a tad less bulk.  For neck warming and occasional mouth covering.  Not likely to use it in full SAS mode as also have a skullcap.

Any recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

Curious about these, as I've never worn one. Do you wear one whilst cycling? What does it do for you? Pros & cons?

markieteeee replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
1 like

For me, these are possible pros. NB I'm more of a functional cyclist, cycling as transport to work, shops, visit friends etc so can't speak for long-distance or sport use so much.  If you are on the way to the shops, it doubles up as your face mask when you arrive. A breathable one with a UV filter made from eco-friendly fabric will keep your neck warm without getting sweaty and can be hi-viz if you want some extra-visibility in the dark.  I'm sure there are other pros and cons depending on how and when you cycle. I have two from Buff, which if you buy from workwear stores online are much cheaper than buying from cycing stores. 

Simon E replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
2 likes

Pros: lightweight, stuffs in pocket, more useful than a beanie or cap (though I wear a cap when it's raining or particularly cold) and cheap. Also not cycling-specific.

Cons: none that I can think of.

It's neckwarmer /draught excluder for the neck that can also be used as an ear warmer, an under-helmet headwarmer or a face covering. There are videos online showing the many ways they can be used.

So-called 'genuine' Buff branded are overpriced, they all do the same thing. I have one I won as a raffle prize, plus a cheap camo from ebay my daughter has purloined and an Altura. The Altura is quite long so used double layer and keeps the wind out very well.

I have a thick motorcycle one (those days are probably gone for me  ) but I'd only consider wearing to cycle it if the temperature was some way below zero.

Weejus | 3 years ago
0 likes

SS, I use to use a thick fleecy snood for winter golf, I now find a less bulky silk one so much better particularly in these present times, it's just as warm surprisingly and less bulk makes it easier to live with, I tend to leave it on all day now if I am outside, ideal if you need to pop into the shop ..!!

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips. Leaning towards Alpkit, surprised to notice today that my current one is a Lusso. Explains why it’s still working at 20 years old!

Stratman | 3 years ago
1 like

I've always liked merino ones, Alpkit do a decent one, as do Buff

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Think I'm going to get the PedalEd one... Condor Bikes....

Latest Comments