Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear Cassette lost teeth?

Hiya all,
Randomly checking over my bike I noticed a fault on my rear Cassette. Having installed a new 11-32 (11 speed) Shimano 105 in April of this year. I'm assuming it has.... But the breaks are so clean and not sharp on some of the teeth

Have I lost some teeth off my 11 and 12 speed gears here?[3 and 11 o'clock positions]
If so, any idea as to why and can I purchase new sprockets and not purchase a whole new cassette? 😬

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1j7g2uy2rlivr8/pxl_20210802_090343690.portrai...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

ktache | 2 years ago
0 likes

I did manage to take out one of the teeth on my 14 tooth cog on my 8 speed XTR cassette, a bit gutted because it was a wonderful discovery on ebay, there are places out there that sell single cogs, takes some finding but they are out there.  Managed to get a 9 speed shimano XTR version that required a shim/spacer.

Lot's of chinesse parts out there, or there were when I last looked, and a few branded ones.  SP59/BtBS had a fine collection of individual cogs as I remember, he showed a picture, I was jealous.

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

That's completely normal, it's how they come. The angled tops to some cogs are to allow the chain to shift neatly. Relax and keep on riding!

mikewood | 2 years ago
1 like

There's a good video on GCN about it. Search for Shimano Hyperglide

Brooksy1882 replied to mikewood | 2 years ago
0 likes
mikewood wrote:

There's a good video on GCN about it. Search for Shimano Hyperglide

Thanks mate I will 🙂

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

They're designed like that, so not a fault and you don't need to replace them.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Here's a new one with the teeth of differing shapes

https://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-CS-HG700-Cassette-Gray-11x34/dp/B07FFGRCLY

Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes

I can't see any broken teeth.  Are you sure that it isn't just the sculpting of the tooth profiles? They all do slightly different jobs in terms of chain engagement / pick up, so are not meant to have the same profile or shape.

Brooksy1882 replied to Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes
Chris Hayes wrote:

I can't see any broken teeth.  Are you sure that it isn't just the sculpting of the tooth profiles? They all do slightly different jobs in terms of chain engagement / pick up, so are not meant to have the same profile or shape.

It's bizarre as never noticed them on installation but the odd shapes concerned me when I just looked at them but they still look shiny and new with no sign of actual damage.

Pretty sure my chain is adequate length to as not too short to have ripped some off anyway 👍🏻

bobbinogs | 2 years ago
1 like

I cannot see the piccie at the mo but it could be that teeth are not all the same as they are profiled to assist shifting.  If you do need a replacement cog ( which I suspect not) then Miche are usually an option worth looking at.

Latest Comments