Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Quiet wheelset search

I am looking for recommendations for an upgrade wheelset for my bike. It's an Enigma Etape disc 2016 model with quick release 100/135 standard.
It came with Mavic Ksyrium wheels which I find too noisy and too stiff. I want something quiet, light and with modern rim width. There is plenty out there with thru axle standard but struggling to find anything for QR. 
I have read that Shimano wheels are generally quiet and like the look of the rs770 but afaik they only come with thru axle 100/142 and no  qr adaptors.

Any recommendations much appreciated. Thanks.
Chris

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Gasman Jim | 1 year ago
0 likes

Another vote for DCR wheels here. I've had 5 pairs of wheels for my road & mtn bikes built up by David & Tom over the past 5 years with absolutely no problems. The freehub on his own-brand hubs is pretty quiet and the Venn VAR carbon rims go up tubeless very easily.

Richbeck | 1 year ago
0 likes

DCR wheels - you will never look back!

Secret_squirrel replied to Richbeck | 1 year ago
0 likes

DC Rainmaker makes wheels now?

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

Best bet is likely to be find some hubs you like and get them built up by a reputable wheel builder. Although short lived, Shimano do have a couple of QR disc brake hubs e.g. these front and rear (although you may want to check availability elsewhere as 28h rear paired to 32h front would be an odd wheelset!)

My partner has Pacenti wheels on her bike and they are also very quiet. I believe Pacenti use re-badged Bitex hubs, so you might also wish to consider other wheel builders using similar hubs - I know DCR Wheels and JRA Wheels both also use Bitex hubs as standard.

Or, if you want something with a bit more bling, Onxy Racing hubs are meant to be very good and very quiet (although very expensive!)

alan sherman | 1 year ago
0 likes

Shimano Deore hubs come with quick releases and are quiet, I have one on my hybrid.  Maybe pair a rear Deore hub with a SON delux dynohub front for all-night long lighting? 

Spa cycles might be a good place to get some built.  I bought my (non-disc) SON dynohub from there 12 years ago - it is stil working well with zero maintenance.

Grahamd | 1 year ago
1 like

I replaced my QR disc wheels earlier this year with a set of Shimano CX wheels, as the bike is used for gravel purposes and these were the closest for purpose I could find. Not the lightest but as with all my Shimano wheels quiet and reliable.

chris scammell replied to Grahamd | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks. Do you know the model?

chris scammell | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. 
It would seem the disc wheel with qr hubs was a short lived beast. 
I have seen some Kinesis racelight and crosslight wheels that seem ok on paper. Has anyone got any feedback on the hub noise? Thanks

Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like

I would talk to a wheelbuilder such as Malcolm Borg AKA Cycle Clinic, Mark Pollard at Spokesman Wheels, Scribe. There are others. (I am presuming that you are in the UK)

TheBillder replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like

Wouldn't bother with Scribe. I have two friends with their wheels and they're repeatedly asked why they've brought their pet wasps out on a ride.

I also like quiet free hubs but only see them on low end or older wheels these days. Might be something to do with everyone wanting a quick pick up (ooh matron).

Hirsute replied to TheBillder | 1 year ago
0 likes

I was going to jokingly suggest scribe but they will send you some grease to damp it down.

wtjs replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
0 likes

I would talk to a wheelbuilder

Agreed. There are lots of these- Paul Hewitt in Leyland will know all there is to know about such factors. I find I don't even notice how loud my freewheels are, but I am almost always cycling alone

Latest Comments