Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Punctures when using tubeless on rollers

I am finding that previously self sealed punctures are opening when I am on my rollers. Does anyone else have this problem, and what is the best/easiest thing to do to avoid it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Miller | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, this is absolutely my experience of tubeless with rollers. My other observation that rollers accentuate rolling resistance differences between tyres. Two tyres that feel not much different on road can feel way different on rollers. I think that the generally small diameter of rollers puts a lot of flex into the tyre casing. So differences in casings show up as differences in resistance. The flexing also opens up any casing wounds that have been concealed by sealant.

So I don't think it's anything to do with sealant types. The solution is that tubeless tyres used on rollers need to be in good condition.

peted76 replied to Miller | 3 years ago
0 likes

Miller wrote:

Yes, this is absolutely my experience of tubeless with rollers. My other observation that rollers accentuate rolling resistance differences between tyres. Two tyres that feel not much different on road can feel way different on rollers. I think that the generally small diameter of rollers puts a lot of flex into the tyre casing. So differences in casings show up as differences in resistance. The flexing also opens up any casing wounds that have been concealed by sealant.

So I don't think it's anything to do with sealant types. The solution is that tubeless tyres used on rollers need to be in good condition.

I disagree, I've used tubeless tyres and rollers for about five years now, mostly the Schwalbe Pro Ones (which I mention as they are soft and cut/nick easily). As it happened, on Sunday I put on a winter set of wheels/tyres the other day for rollers and almost instantly a hole opened up, annoying! My sealant was off, I also noted that the tyres were quite worn, I duly replaced the sealant pumped up to 110psi.. and no further problems. All sealant is not equal. 

Also you should have a high psi on rollers or you bounce about.. ergo, it shouldn't affect the 'flex' of the tyre casing, you'd flex more than on the road at lower psi.

I totally agree about the rolling resistance, the difference between tubed and tubeless was about 3/4mph on rollers for me. I've do a 10min warmup at threshold before intervals for years. Years of HR/Speed/Cadence data on this, before switching to tubeless, same wheels and my warmup went from a consistent 32/33mph-96ish rpm to a consistent 36/37mph-103rpm, same 110 psi every time, the only difference being tyres and the lack of tubes. I love a bit of tubeless me  1

Interesting topic.

IanEdward replied to peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Also you should have a high psi on rollers or you bounce about.. ergo, it shouldn't affect the 'flex' of the tyre casing, you'd flex more than on the road at lower psi.

Hmm.... not sure I agree actually, I run 80psi on the road, 100psi on my rollers. Even at 100psi the tyre looks noticeably more deformed, I guess as Miller points out, the diameter of the roller maybe causes this?

It is an interesting subject, I was told I was wasting my time fitting a turbo trainer tyre for rollers use as rollers weren't as harsh on tyres as a turbo, but I also know that I've punctured twice on rollers and never been able to figure out why! 

pablo | 3 years ago
1 like

I would suspect the heat is causing the tyre to expand and opening up the holes does it seal again after the ride?
A fun geeky experiment would be to pump up and go for a ride outdoors for say an hour and when you get back take the pressure again. Repeat on the rollers I bet you see some significant pressures rises.

peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if it's the higher pressure or the heat or both on rollers which have opened up old holes for me in the past but it's highlighted that I was running old sealant (clear'ish brown), I've found that just replacing the liquid has solved it.

captainadventure replied to peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. The sealant is pretty new. I didn't realise rollers were so tough on a tyre! Maybe the holes which are sealed fine on the road are just too big for the heat/harshness of rollers.

peted76 replied to captainadventure | 3 years ago
0 likes

captainadventure wrote:

Thanks. The sealant is pretty new. I didn't realise rollers were so tough on a tyre! Maybe the holes which are sealed fine on the road are just too big for the heat/harshness of rollers.

It could be your sealant.. I know we've moved on a bit since road tubeless first started out, but I still don't trust all sealants to work at high pressures. I use Bontrager TLR or Orange Seal, they do work.

Ecce Homer | 3 years ago
0 likes

By no means an expert, but my engineering background makes me think of a few possible solutions. Perhaps replacing/topping up the sealant or experimenting with different pressures would solve the problem? Or perhaps you need to plug the original punctures? I do know that rollers are harsh on tyres, that's why I have a dedicated rear wheel for my turbo trainer.

captainadventure replied to Ecce Homer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, the sealent is newish, and they only seem to seal when the pressure is very low. Going to try plugging the punctures...... Not seen this problem reported before  - I was wondering how common it is. I didn't realise rollers were so tough on a tyre.

Latest Comments