Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Primary Position

Seeing these close passes day after day, on NMOTD and in real world...I'm rapidly coming round to a new way of thinking. We should all be cycling in the primary position ( guess that's why it's called that ). And we only move to the secondary position when WE judge it is safe to be overtaken. If it becomes the norm, then motorists will get more used to staying in their position rather than going for these ridiculous gaps.
Obviously many cyclists are already routinely cycling in primary . Whereas I was taught to meekly stay 2ft from the kerb - and it has stuck with me ever since. And presumably many motorists similarly expect cyclists to be out of their way to the point of being invisible - such that they are angered to encounter a cyclists taking the lane.
If we turn it on its head, and a significant enough number of cyclists switch to cycling in the primary position - it will soon become normal and therefore expected by motorists. That would have the effect of making it safer all round ( at the moment it seems the few who do already adopt primary are sometimes at increased risk of abuse and injury - due to their seemed impertinence )
What do people think. A totally sensible idea that needs widespread adoption ? Or misguided idealism that will be sent scurrying back towards the kerb by infuriated tailgating motorists ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Toorie | 3 years ago
0 likes

Checked in again.

Just read a post regarding passive aggressive pedestrians, it made me realise a little habit I try to remember. 

When I do adopt the primary position, I try to do a little back hand wave to the following driver then a thumbs up wave when returning to the secondary position. (if they give room) This seems to make drivers realise you are human so they, may, give you a few cm more.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

Had a new one today. 30mph down hill in a 30. Got overtaken on a narrowish road with oncoming traffic ! Wasn't in primary as I didn't think it necessary, though perhaps it was a good idea I wasn't, as the driver seem hell bent on squeezing by (and of course tailgating the next vehicle).

Toorie replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

This happens all the time, my advise to anybody is to remember you have the same right on the road as drivers, it takes confidence and assertiveness to "survive".

Don't just look ahead, rear observations keep you alive, use your ears and eyes. Look before you leap, i.e chin to shoulder "life saver" before you move, any movement should be done in plenty of time to give a slight bit of doubt in the following vehicle drivers mind, this works 99% of the time, now and then you need to take avasive action due to the inconsiderate buffoons who think they own the road.

This works for me, I taught it during my time instructing. 

Hirsute replied to Toorie | 3 years ago
1 like

On reviewing the footage, I could see in fact that the nearside wheels were almost touching the centre line, but at speed, it did not feel like it. Not sure what the driver coming the other way thought !

Certainly will be taking more primary there next time if I can be near or at the limit.

LetsBePartOfThe... replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

It feels like we need to check in on here each evening - for a headcount 

Toorie | 3 years ago
4 likes

I am posting for the first time, I am very passionate when it comes to the road, I have been riding/racing, pedal and motorcycle as well as driving for over 25 years. I was also a motorcycle instructor for a number of years

I try to stick to the rules of the road when driving 95% of the time, like 99.99% of the population.

Cycling is a different story. I break the law. Why? To live.

I run red lights when I feel it is safer and it is clear, rather than stop and get swamped, cut up, honked, etc on green.

Road position, "Lets be" is correct with his comments, I ride left of centre of your lane, continually scanning ahead, and, listening behind, as well as looking. If there is a car hard up behind me I will move further out earlier if there is a hazard ahead, Any hazards I "lifesave" pull out to "primary"  pass the hazard, whether that means crossing over to the other side then I cross if it is safe. Once passed scanning ahead, If there is another hazard within a short distance I stay put, pass, then "lifesave" back to the left of centre of the lane. If it is busy I may move closer to the kerb to let drivers squeeze past, but this is my choice.

My attitude is, no matter how many people die or laws change driving attitudes are not going to change. Accept you need to look out for number one.

This pandemic is a good example, majority of people dont give a flying F about rules, laws, consequences etc.

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
4 likes

You cannot win. If you habitually ride primary then you will be criticised for impeding the traffic and riding inconsiderately. If you ride secondary then you will get close passed, if you ride in the gutter then you will get punctures.

nniff | 3 years ago
2 likes

My policy is this - "If you ride in the gutter, people will treat you as though that is where you belong".  I ride usually on the righthand side or the centre of the cars' left wheel track, which is a bit left of primary.  Tends to be better tarmac than primary and a lot better than the gutter.  I have lights on day or night.

brooksby replied to nniff | 3 years ago
1 like

nniff wrote:

I ride usually on the righthand side or the centre of the cars' left wheel track, which is a bit left of primary.

Me too.

(I don't use DRL though).

Achtervolger replied to nniff | 3 years ago
2 likes

Indeed. Unfortunately many drivers also think that's where cyclists should be, regardless of where they position themselves. I once remonstrated with a van driver after he close passed me, he just shouted at me to "Get in the f*****g gutter where you belong".

mdavidford | 3 years ago
4 likes

I generally find there's a happy medium - a sort of 'one-and-a-half-ary' position, further out than the suggested 1m for secondary, without taking the centre of the lane. That keeps you more in the eyeline of people driving behind you, and discourages the majority of inappropriate passes* without making it look like you're 'making a point' or just being awkward, and means that when they do pass it doesn't require such an exaggerated manoeuvre, so it doesn't generate the same level of frustration / aggression. If I think it would be particularly dangerous to pass I can then move out to the centre, or if I think there's a good opportunity for passing I can temporarily move to more of a full secondary. Also, when the inevitable idiot does decide to pass too close it gives plenty of road to the left to bail out to, whereas riding in secondary to start with generally means that you'd be heading into potholes and debris.

[* Of the vehicular kind, rather than the #MeToo variety.]

HoarseMann replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
1 like

I tend to ride just left of the centre of the lane too (the middle has too much debris).

I started doing this after a few incidents where I reckon my moving from secondary to primary prior to a pinch point had been taken as an offensive 'up yours' type gesture by the ignorant motorist behind me.

I think just being in that position when I come into their view is less likely to provoke a reaction. I then purposely move over to secondary when it's safe for them to overtake. I'm not impeding anyone by doing this.

Whether it's 'you don't pay road tax' abuse or a close pass, it all boils down to ignorance; of how the roads are funded, of how to overtake safely. But there's nothing in the highway code about why cyclists ride in primary and the overtaking guidance is woefully inadequate and open to interpretation.

So if a government advertising campaign coupled with changes to the highway code, could communicate this effectively, then I think it could improve things. I think it would also have to be aligned with presumed liability being brought in and more effective enforcement from the police; as you still need to tackle the few motorists that really do actively hate cyclists or are just reckless nutters.

But it's probably as likely to happen as the gov 'build build build' spinitiative including segregated cycling infrastructure.

BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 3 years ago
3 likes

You should always use the primary position and revert to the secondary position when you decide it is safe and convenient to do so - not when bullied into doing so. 

This can take nerves and practice.

wtjs | 3 years ago
3 likes

I am surprised at how un-militant I am in positioning, and I am invariably cycling alone. I am usually about 1 metre from the kerb- I have to force myself to move R when traversing the 2 local danger spots for psycho-overtaking- blind humped bridges with well-deserved unbroken white lines which drivers ignore with impunity. They overtake right up to the crest of the bridge with no thought in their tiny minds, already disabled by the delusion that they are god-like titans of the road, that they are approaching drivers like themselves coming the other way at a relative speed of 60+ (often a lot +)- I know that they would immediately move hard L into me to avoid colliding with that other driver, so I want to have somewhere to go except straight over the bridge parapet- although I doubt I would be able to react quickly enough. I know that the F***h would simply agree with the driver that he had to avoid the collision with the other car and so it was necessary to sacrifice the cyclist.

Cycloid replied to wtjs | 3 years ago
3 likes

I know just how you feel on the blind bridges, I have two of them in my village.

If you catch up the driver, the put down is, "I don't mind you overtaking on a blind bridge mate, but next time go for the head on collision, don't involve me in your accident"

ktache replied to Cycloid | 3 years ago
2 likes

They are never going to take the big hit though, you on the other hand are a few scratches and small dents, rather than writing off their precious vehicle and perhaps hurting themselves.

It is why overtaking when they cannot see what might be coming is the ultimate in pure selfeshness.

Latest Comments