Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Orbea Avant H40 or Triban RC520

Hi all,
I'm currently looking at buying my first road bike, currently on a hybrid. Will be used mainly for commuting and longer rides. Currently considering the Orbea Avant H40: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Orbea/Avant-H40-Road-Bike-2020
And the Triban RC520 105: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_855...

The Triban seems like it's more bike for the money out of the box, but the Orbea feels like it could be a better bike in the long run with a few upgrades over time.

Has anyone ridden either of these bikes and can give any pros / cons please. If not, based on the specs, which would you go for and why? Also, are there any other bikes around this price point you'd recommend over these two? TIA

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Triban all the way.   Firstly the only bike on the Sigma site is a xxs.   Secondly its rim brake.  Thirdly its Tiagra which is v decent but no 105.

That triban has 105 R8000 on it which is literaly the best bang for buck gruppo Shimano has ever produced, especially at that price, you could bin the Triban frame in 3 year and still have a superb gruppo for the next frame (less consumables). 

In 3 years time unless you go 2nd hand new rim brake bike frames will be like unicorn poo (imo).

Mrtheduke replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes
Secret_squirrel wrote:

In 3 years time unless you go 2nd hand new rim brake bike frames will be like unicorn poo (imo).

Thanks! That's a very good point, I hadn't even considered that!

TheBillder replied to Mrtheduke | 3 years ago
0 likes

It is in his opinion... Given that you can still buy quill stems and square taper cranks, I don't think you need worry about rim brake obsolescence.

I did like the look of the Triban until I read the buyer reviews of the wheels. Looks as if you should budget for replacement - which would be a nice upgrade anyway, but it's good to have a choice about that rather than have to because the OEM wheels are not robust enough.

Imo Tiagra is nothing to worry about. I have both 105 (admittedly older 5800, still 11 speed but an iteration behind) and Tiagra on different bikes. Are they different? Yes. Is 105 nicer? Yes. Does it make much difference on the road? For me, not really.

GSA12rider replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Surely that's 105 R7000 rather than 105 R8000 ?

Orbeaman | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a Trek Domane Al3 as a winter bike. Its pretty good for the money. Need to change our the brake pads though.

Latest Comments