Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Nothing like a critical injury RTC to bring out the FB trolls.

https://www.facebook.com/61340303030/posts/pfbid033D4VSLcXUqcx7qLBdMPFGF...

Cyclist in Cambridge critically injured. Another incident involving one of the city's buses. Amanda Holden would be proud of the comments being posted.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Cycloid | 1 year ago
7 likes

What really scares me is the fact that I am sharing the roads with these people

moonfruit | 1 year ago
8 likes

I particularly like the comments criticising a group of four or more cyclists using the road supposedly holding up the driver in the car who is solo in their vehicle but insisting that cyclists must get out of their way.

Car culture is driven by a myth of entitlement.  The HC could make clear that cyclists have an absolute entitlement in law to be on the road (except those where cycles are expressly prohibited), whereas the driver does not;  but instead exercise a privilege by dint of holding a driving licence, which is granted by the state, can be temporarily suspended by the state, or permanently removed by the state.

Also I enjoy the ones who bemoan that there is less space on the road but stupidly choose a vehicle much bigger than their needs, but then stubbonly defend their decision with nefarious claims for justification.

I tend to have a little fun with these people, but never do they get the point.

Mungecrundle replied to moonfruit | 1 year ago
10 likes

It is tempting, but to engage in reasoned discussion with such overwhelming ignorance is almost certainly futile and ultimately, who really enjoys swimming when the pool is full of turds?

Karlt replied to Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
7 likes

And if you win, so what. You won a battle of wits with an idiot. Big deal.

I like the playing chess with a pigeon analogy. Whatever you do, the pigeon will knock the pieces over, crap on the board and strut around as if it's won, even if you are a grand master.

Back in the glory days of Internet BBS systems it was worth engaging the idiots, the bigots and the trolls, for the benefit of the lurkers if nothing else. But now every bellend and his dog has access to FB, Twatter and (God help us) BTL comments on the Heil Online any sensible comment disappears under a mountain of bullshit in minutes.

mark1a | 1 year ago
4 likes

It's like reading "From the message boards" in Private Eye...

Hirsute replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
6 likes

Great stuff guys !

Bogbrush

Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

Now I'm regretting asking !!

Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Not on faceache and I can't ask my wife as she is banned after being hacked !

What is gist ?

Mungecrundle replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
3 likes

Well it goes from your standard mouth breather:

"Like bikes not blame for nothing like going through red lights even going through zebra crossings even cars etc have stopped to let people go riding on paths on mobile phones head phones in as well not looking we’re they going either"

To your road warrior petrolhead who pops up on every road related story to have a crack at cyclists:

"The roads aren't safe places for people that do not have compulsory highway code learning , a cyclist is the perfect example ...when you mix heavy vehicles moving at speed with other uneducated road users , there's only going be one painful outcome
Mandatory highway code tests for all cyclists!!!"

And from the same poster:

"....there was a time the roads were less busy and it was easier to deal with,but not now , you have someone whip out Infront of you doing 20+mph you've got no chance in stopping....it's all vary we'll keep blaiming the motorist.....but if you allow highway code uneducated people on your roads who's fault is it really, they blame the motorist to deflect the blame from themselves"

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
2 likes

Is he stating you have someone whip out infront of you and they are doing 20+mph? Why no chance in stopping?

And as for the moron in the screenshot below stating that the buses only do jogging pace (6mph) so must have been the cyclist doing 35mph, how would that work then. 

chrisonabike replied to Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
4 likes

Quote:

... when you mix heavy vehicles moving at speed with other uneducated road users ...

Quote:

... if you allow highway code uneducated people on your roads who's fault is it really ...

More truth there than they realise!

andystow replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes
HoarseMann replied to andystow | 1 year ago
4 likes

I wonder what the chances of Marty Spalding passing a mandatory highway code test are?

BalladOfStruth replied to andystow | 1 year ago
3 likes

The best comments are the ones written by people who appear to be genuinely borderline-illiterate...

SaveTheWail replied to BalladOfStruth | 1 year ago
2 likes

That would be most of them, then?

srchar replied to andystow | 1 year ago
3 likes

andystow wrote:

The comments.

Mandatory intelligence tests for all Facebook users!!

hawkinspeter replied to srchar | 1 year ago
1 like

srchar wrote:

Hasn't Facebook just become a low intelligence trap? Surely anyone with sense or a social conscience has closed their account after the Cambridge Analytica scandal?

peted76 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

srchar wrote:

Hasn't Facebook just become a low intelligence trap? Surely anyone with sense or a social conscience has closed their account after the Cambridge Analytica scandal?

I don't need any intelligence for the groups I'm in  1 

Jimwill replied to srchar | 1 year ago
4 likes

The test is having the account. You have one.. you failed

HoarseMann replied to srchar | 1 year ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

They used to do this (indirectly!). You had to have an email address affiliated with one of a list of 21 universities in the UK in order to create an account in the early days!

Latest Comments