Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New road bike size help on Canyon or Ribble - any short riders out there

Hi All,
looking for a new road bike, the only specific requirement I have is for it to be rim brakes, used for weekend rides and sportives.

I am a Short male with a height of 166cm and an inseam of 77cm. My arms are longer and my arm span is 172cm.

Trying to educate myself with geometry charts and bike fit.

Looking at the Canyon Endrance cf 7.0 £1399.00 or Ribble Endurance SL £1599.

With the Canyon I am an XS according to their guide and the Ribble between sizes of XS and S. Heard and read Canyon sizes can be wrong?

Any small riders out there that can give me a advice/guide on size, with covid situation unlikely that I can try these especially with Canyon, probably prefer the canyon.

Thanks
Jay

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

tmf.mac@gmail.com | 3 years ago
0 likes

Jay,

Probably v similar size to you and was able to get to a Ribble shop and was measured onto a small (SL Disc), shorter stem, shorter cranks also worth a look. Just took delivery and feels fine. Standover the bar is right in the business area !, came from a Focus M, probably too big ? but am fine on the bike, the bikes side by side do not seem that different but setup slightly different.

Good thing with Ribble was the customisation that could be done re wheels, crank sizes etc, vs the other manufacturers where you get the one setup.

Both get good reviews and good value,  I also looked at a Canyon so sure you will like whichever one you decide on.

oatymcoatface | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm 166cm and 74cm leg. Canyons online tool put me at the very top end of 2XS (up 1cm was XS) . I went to a local test ride day and rode both 2XS and XS. XS was much better fit. I'd say you'd be absolutely fine on XS. S would risk being too big.

Aj19 replied to oatymcoatface | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for the reply. Are you riding the ultimate or endurace?

oatymcoatface replied to Aj19 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I test rode both, the head goes for the endurace, but the ultimate put such a smile on my face. It's a weapon of a bike. Geometry wise there isn't really very much difference (or so the canyon boys told me - and the ultimate really did not feel like it was too racey a position, but I'm coming from a CAAD) however I value comfort over speed on the country roads.

sparkimp | 3 years ago
0 likes

I am a very similar size and have a canyon endurance XS. I am very happy with the size.  The standard stem is perhaps shorter than I would have preferred but I have not bothered changing it as lowering the stem used up some of my “excess arm length”

On thing I didn’t expect was the benefit of the 165mm cranks which feel a lot more comfortable than the 170mm I have always used in the past. They are easier on the joints and especially when low on the drops. The geometry seems designed around this shorter crank length so it feel right for the bike. 

Aj19 replied to sparkimp | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply, as the owner of the endurance can ask you please how you find the bike generally?  Looking at the carbon 7.0 version with 105. 
Also with the shorter cranks do your shoes still get toe lap (touching the front wheel when turning full lock at slower speeds).

sparkimp replied to Aj19 | 3 years ago
1 like

I have the 2018 Endurace CF 8, (Ultegra) which was incredible value for the spec compared to anything else for the price. It is very light, rigid and comfortable but I don’t have experience of anything similar as the bike it replaced was 20+ years old custom made steel.

There is some toe overlap but It’s never a problem as you just need to be aware of it. I certainly would not choose a larger frame for this reason. The 165mm cranks help minimise it. 

As I am a relatively light (60kg) and with a lot less power than I once had then weight reduction is more important than for a heavier rider, especially for the hills and mountains round here. Hence the lightweight canyon was the best option for me and I have been very happy with it. 

Aj19 replied to sparkimp | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for replying back appreciate it!

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I am virtually the same height and inside leg as you (163 and 75cm) and ride an XS Planex X Pro Carbon Evo which is a very good fit, 165mm cranks ans 10cm stem.  Might be worth a look before you finally decide.  Di2 ready, rim and disc brake options available, I built mine up from just the frame with my existing componets, all went together easilly and well, the only critisism is that the back wheel can be difficult to get in with a large tyre inflated, sometimes i have had to let some air out to be able to get the wheel in/out.

Westy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm almost the exact same size as you, Jay, and I've been riding for years, racing once but retired, so now just for general fitness. In the past I have bought frames in size S, but now I always go for XS. The main reason is that it's easier to adjust an XS upwards to my requirements than to adjust an S downwards, with a suitable seat post and stem (I use a quite long 120mm stem because I also have relatively long arms). Also, smaller frames are stiffer and lighter too, so my opinion would be always err on the lower size if you're in between.

Cheers, Alan.

Aj19 replied to Westy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Alan for the reply appreciate it, on many brands I am in between sizes of XS and S too. Sound advice.

joeegg | 3 years ago
0 likes

There is only 11mm difference in top tube length between xs and s.The xs has a 80mm stem compared to 90 on the s.For leg length you appear to be xs but I think you would need a longer stem than the 80.Do you have a bike at the moment that you could take some measurements from ?

Aj19 replied to joeegg | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice Joe. Currently  have a decathlon bike this is defintley too big for me so not the best to measure up on. According to my height looks like XS suppose can adjust the Stem after.

joeegg | 3 years ago
0 likes

If you've used Canyons online sizing guide then I think it's pretty accurate. I am 1.78 and have an Endurace in M.I think if you find the stem too short/long you can swap it in the first month,although I  bought one on eBay.

wycombewheeler replied to joeegg | 3 years ago
0 likes

disagree, it told me I couldn't exist. Until I increased my measured leg length by 1cm, then it said XS, I bought S and it has been fine.

Oronically if I increased the leg length it would then go to medium, but clearly if I have short legs for my height, I must have a long torso for my height, so an xs would be cramped. (assuming I am not a giraffe)

A friend at the cycling club had the exact same issue, so it isn't just me with a dodgy tape measure

Aj19 replied to wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
0 likes

Is there any chance you are a similar height to me? canyon is firmly putting me on a XS, this is what I'm worried about - buying the wrong size.

wycombewheeler replied to Aj19 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm 5'9" but with only 30" inseam, I think you should be fine with XS at 166cm, you can always retun it to Canyon as long as you havne't ridden it outside, if it turns up and you feel it is too small.

MrMoo replied to Aj19 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I got an XS endurace and am 168 with 30” leg. The only time I think I could do with an extra couple of cm on the stem is when climbing. Otherwise spot on.

Latest Comments