Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike Advice (Commutey/Roady kinda bike)

Hi All

HNY and all that jazz. 

I need to get a new commute bike, but stuggling to find anything that gets my legs pumping! Has anyone seen or know of anything that might meet this criteria, or am i looking for a Unicorn or is there a gap in the market for what im after!?

Commute bike for 50-100km per week.
Im 6"3 and about 94 kilos.
Hydraulic Brakes (105 pref). 
105 Groupset or equivilant. 
Mudguard Mounting Points. 
700 x 28 Tyres.

So far the only thing iv found that comes close is the "Vitus Substance VR-2 Adventure Road Bike" or the "Ribble Endurance AL Disc 2021" (but by the looks of it, you can only fit 25mm tyres on that, and due to my height/weight, id be re-trueing a wheel every cople of weeks on Londons potholed roads)!

If im honest, to me, it looks like bike companies have taken the Pandemic to pump the price of bikes up and fit them with no where near components! Tiagra & Sora on a 1500 quid bike with mechanical disks! REALLY? 

Any advice really welcome!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
1 like

At the moment it's probably largely a question of what you can get your hands on. I really like the look of the Ribble CGR AL, but the estimated delivery date for that is the 29th April.

dannoscott replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Tom. Not sure how i missed that. Great shout! Shame about the delivery date :o( !

Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
4 likes

I'd look no further than a Triban RC520 105 disc.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-308072

105 groupset apart from cranks and cassette (and frankly who cares, I've had a Microshift cassette on my Ultegra Di2 and never noticed the difference between it and the genuine article apart from the large amount of spare change in my wallet!), 28mm tyres with room for up to 36mms, mudguard and pannier mounts. Yes it does have mechanical discs, not hydraulic, but I have 105 mechanicals on my ebike and they are brilliant, much easier to adjust and service than the hydraulics I have on others and braking performance (to me) virtually indistinguishable.

Incredible value for £799.

(Or if your heart's set on hydraulics you could go up £50 for the gravel version with cable-operated hydraulic pistons, still 105)

Jetmans Dad replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
1 like

Actually the brakes on the road version of the RC520 are exactly the same cable-operated hydraulics as the gravel version (literally the only differences are the gorgeous paint job, wider tyres and flared bars). 

Having just taken delivery of an RC520, it is a lot of bike for the money and definitely worth looking at based on Dannoscott's desires. 

Brauchsel replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
1 like

Another recommendation for the Triban from me, too. Really comfortable to ride, pretty much indestructible and incredibly good value. The brakes haven't given me any trouble in two years of London commuting with fairly frequent sudden stops either. 

dannoscott replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
1 like

Hey Rendel. Thanks for your response!

Funny enough i actually looked at the road version and test rode a friends the othday, but really want hydraulic disk brakes as i currently have cable on my Eastway and if im going to get a new bike, i might as well upgrade!

Didnt know  about the Gravel option. So thanks for that. Could be a good shout!

Jetmans Dad replied to dannoscott | 3 years ago
0 likes

dannoscott wrote:

Didnt know  about the Gravel option. So thanks for that. Could be a good shout!

It is only worth the extra £50 if you think the paint job and flared bars and wider tyres (which you could always add later) are worth that to you ... otherwise the road and gravel version are identical, including the hybrid mech/hydraulic brakes. 

A bike with full hydraulic brakes is going to add quite a bit to the price. 

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

We'd probably need to know a little more about what you want and your budget to make solid recommendations. That said, based on what you've said, I'd have a close look at the Trek Domane AL5. 105, huge tyre clearance, proper mudguard mounts, and very capable as a genuine road bike as well as a commuter. It is c. £1700, though...

TBH we had a similar experience with my other half. She wanted 105 - not least so she didn't have to faff about with the cassette on my turbo when Zwifting - decent wheels, a nice colour , and didn't want to spend much over a grand. Sadly, as she/I discovered, with demand what it is, it is pretty tough to get a new bike with 105 for much less than £1500. She ended up with an Emonda ALR 5, as we stumbled on a (mint) ex demo in her size with £350 off. I have ridden it (and the Domane) and wouldn't write either off as a very capable winter bike.

The other thing: if you're looking purely for a commuter, why the need for 105? I'd get a 2nd hand but roadworthy beater, tbh, if I knew the bike was never going to see any other type of action. That way, if it gets damaged/nicked, it's no disaster.

dannoscott replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Some solid ideas there thanks! Im gonan get on Cycle 2 Work scheme and flog my current commuter to a mate! Know what your saying about 105 ona  commute bike, but when i ride my cube into work, its such a difference and to get 105 hydraulics, you generally need 105 groupset on it!

Sorry. Budget is kinda useful  

Willing to part with 1000-1500

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

What's your budget? 

Sounds like you may be best off looking at gravel bikes, Mrs Totale just managed to get a Boardman ADV 8.9 for £900 with British Cycling discount which would tick your boxes nicely. She's got it for commuting and off road excursions, she's already got a road bike so wasn't looking to replace that. 

dannoscott replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

HAHAHA. Well it looks like Mrs Totale got a pretty decent bike! Looking to spend 1000-1500 and so far, i think this could be a winner! Might even be able to use my military ID to get some discount too as i think Halfords do that!

Thanks so much for your response Joe. Really really appreciate it. Obviously a super knowledgeable chap laugh!!

Latest Comments