Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Neoprene bib shorts/tights/leg warmers

Has any company ever made neoprene bib tights or bib shorts or even leg warmers? I've seen Assos using a lighter geoprene on small sections of their bib shorts & tights.

It seems like a good idea when it's cold and heavy rain or even snow(let say -5°C to + 5°C.)

Or even if it was just on the front of the tights/shorts/wamers, so as not to be too heavy or inhibit stretch too much.

I'm sure if it was thinner than the average neoprene gloves or overshoes it would work better than the most water resistant tights- i.e. Windstopper or Pearl Izumi Amfib softshell? People complain with these not being stretchy enough but I find them adequate. But they do get overwhelmed quickly by heavy rain.

And if tights were too much then leg warmers and bib shorts with front facing neoprene so you can combine options. i.e. if its not too wet/cold a thermal DWR bib short with neoprene leg warmers may be sufficient. Or Neoprene shorts with thermal DWR leg warmers. And colder days neoprene shorts and neoprene leg warmers. Again could just be front facing neoprene...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

fenix | 1 year ago
3 likes

Sean Yates used to use a short neoprene wetsuit back in the day but he was very unconventional.

Try the spatz kit - you'll have waterproof lower legs at least.
Any decent waterproof jacket (shakedry probably best over whatever you want) will keep your torso dry and warm.
I've never found my thighs getting cold as they're doing all the work. Lower gears and higher cadence seems to work best.

If it is icy though I'm on zwift. I can do without broken bones.

lbalc replied to fenix | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yeah I've seen lots of good stuff about Spatz. I wouldn't consider ever needing my upper body in neoprene. And I must say my Gore Element/C3 Windstopper Bibs when completly wet and 4°C have kept my completly warm. But it just made me think these are heavy and waterlogged and the thermal insulation can't really do its job when completly soaked, so it's my legs constantly moving and the wind being blocked that keeps you warm. But still interested if neoprene would be better and cheaper on the legs. Yeah I've come off so many times in the ice that although I'm desperate to get out in such weather I won't do it anymore. Never been an indoor cyclist though!

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

I doubt neoprene would last long as there is too much movement in the nether regions.

However, a mate was mountain biking and he was using his walking gaiters as leg warmers, or rather, wetness resisters. Having not cracked the shoe filling up with water problem, I thought that had legs, so to speak. With mudguards or ass-saver, wet bum is generally not a problem.

YYSM | 1 year ago
2 likes

No ideas, but I think it would get very uncomfortable and cold fast from perspiring.

I do wonder about winter triathlete gear though, possibly even layering it with a merino wool base layer. As merino wool stays warm when wet and also breathes.

lbalc replied to YYSM | 1 year ago
0 likes

My experience of neoprene gloves is that if there is not a chance of rain seeping in and then neoprene doing it's job by warming the water then your own sweat becomes like the layer of water and then it stays warm. So perispiration helps neoprene keep you warm in the cold. Where as merino wool is not that great at keeping your warm when wet (better than polyester) but not as good as neoprene. I've experienced this when my Gore Tex gloves got waterlogged and held the water next to my merino wool liners. My hands were freezing for 3 hrs. But yes I can imagine neoprene all over your legs in most other than really cold rain not being that comfortable

Xenophon2 replied to lbalc | 1 year ago
3 likes

True that you'll feel warm under the neoprene and that techically (in the sense of:  keeping water out) it'll be superior to almost anything.  But you'll also be soaking wet from marinating in your own sweat that can't go anywhere because it doesn't breathe at all and the product takes ages to dry out.  I can't conceive of riding with neoprene tights or leg/arm warmers, the thought of peeling it off after a ride makes me shudder.  Also:  the weather might change during a ride and neoprene cannot easily be stowed, it takes a lot of space.  Imagine leaving in the morning when it's 3 centigrade and raining, then having to continue later in sunny weather and 14 centigrade wearing neoprene.

I'll take merino and a hardshell anytime.  There are very good reasons why neoprene garments are not ubiquitous.

lbalc replied to Xenophon2 | 1 year ago
0 likes

All good points. I didn't realise until yesterday that neoprene is actually waterproof. I thought it allowed water in to then heat against your skin. Wet suits allow water through the zip, collar and sleeves. So, I suppose when I'm wearing neoprene gloves under my Gore-tex jacket that the reason they stay warm is it's my sweat that is the water warming me up. I did a 5.5hr ride in which it only rained for 30mins at the beginning (4/5°C) and therefore I expected my hands to be super uncomfortable during the ride, but my hands were really comfy: all shrivelled looking to the extreme after the ride. long rides I now bring a Carradice seat post bag, so happy to change out kit during a ride and easy to store bulky things. Again, a thinner neoprene than regular neoprene gloves, and only down the front of the leg warmers could make it more comfortable and easier to stow away than bib shorts or tights made from neoprene. Anyway it's just a curiosity. I like cold, rainy bike rides and thought road cycling wear on the legs is leagues behind designing anything like a hardshell on top. It's inevitable legs will get wet and as they are moving all the time my Gore Windstopper Leg warmers, Gore WS themal bib tights and Pearl Izumi Amfibs are all good enough to keep warm and comfortable even when completly saturated by water. And as you said, neoprene drying out is a nightmare!

ktache replied to lbalc | 1 year ago
1 like

The stink that the morning commute generated in my endura neoprene gloves last week makes me not want to think about the one that a pair of shorts might get to.

I have often considered the weirdness that are RainLegs.

Latest Comments