Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

N+1 mainly for turbo

Hey all. Been awhile.
Considering another bike, I've lost the weight (from 100kg to 68kg) built my fitness, on and off the bike, now regularly running too, I need/enjoy cardio and the mix of the two. I also do a bit of s&c. Anyway for various reasons, having a home gym built, already got Treadmill and weights and be adding a DD turbo to it. To start with I'll just use my one and only very good do it all bike but will get annoying swapping it around all the time, so want a second bike, mainly to use on turbo but occasionally could ride outside depending what I'm doing.

I currently have a Mason Bokeh adventure bike; Aluminium frame, carbon forks and 3T gravel bars, mechanical Ultegra disc, Hunt wheels with 32G1 tubeless wheels, used for commuting (Gard's/rack/lights semi permanent hope R4 system/SPDs) adventure/sportive/endurance all day/touring/off road...

I'm not sure what second bike to get to compliment it, I think full carbon (only had aluminium bikes with carbon forks and now bars) won't need to fit guards/rack, can be rim or disc, 105 as min or equivalent, ultegra or chorus, cycle to work scheme, ideally cheap as possible, second hand (appreciate wouldn't be able to get on CTW)
I wouldn't mind buying bits and building up Inc stripping and resprying frame but don't have bits sitting around or all tools so probably more expensive to do this.
All bits on current bike work fine and only replace when worn out, so nothing to take off this and put on frame,. No upgrades needed, although, I wouldn't mind "upgrading" from Ultegra to Chorus on the Mason. Although wouldn't make it any faster, I don't plan to race but maybe start going on chaingangs faster group rides and TT albeit more likely to "race" indoors. Maybe hill climb, also staying with at least same brand groupset easier to maintain at home.

Basically keeping the Mason as the utility/practical good bike what cheaper carbon second bike would compliment it?
Mainly for indoor Zwift as well as longer sessions (alth guess could still swap between the two just not all time) so maybe a faster/aero/lightweight hill climbing bike (yes I know it's all.in legs and could still.lose a bit more weight) more road focused fast fun bike?
Thanks Andy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

One option is just to get a frame, gears and chainset off of ebay.   You then have a choice to get a cheapo front wheel or even a kickr climb.

Another alternative for ~£1500 is the Wattbike Atom - then the missus/partner would be more able to have a go too, and leave your log cabin more gym-like if that floated your boat.

fenix | 3 years ago
1 like

Blimey. That's some weight loss.
Congratulations.

I don't see the point in having bikes that are too similar tbh. Your Mason sounds like an ideal winter bike ? Can do everything and you just need to change tyres for extra speed on the road.

If you can hang around a few months I think you'll be spoilt for choice with people selling bikes that they bought with good intentions during lockdown.

Xmas time I reckon.

Failing that Planet X or Ribble would be good bets for new.

AndyH01 replied to fenix | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, yeah it's about 1/3rd surprising thing was most of it was in first 3-6months.
Not in a rush as log cabin won't be sorted til mid September and still need get the turbo and to start with can use the Mason.
Although it's a good allrounder bike for me, wasn't sure about just putting slimmer tyres/wheels on a aluminium frame, that I guess is a relaxed geo (I have lowered /slammed the stem by removing spacers ) still have guard/rack/lights on it (still used as commuting bike be hassle taken off for weekend) slightly heavier no aero foiling ... OTOH not got funds for a full on top spec bike

fenix replied to AndyH01 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I reckon my winter cross bike is about 99% as fast as my carbon road bike. It just needs the road tyres on rather than the heavy heavy marathon tyres that I use in the winter. You really don't need to spend big bucks. 

Latest Comments