Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

List of gravel bikes under about £1,500

Hi all,

Another "what gravel bike" thread, sorry.  I'm hoping to get a gravel bike to replace a Pinnacle Lithium which is great in many ways but I can't get on with flat, wide handlebars.  Plus, I have a son who will soon be the right height to ride the Lithium ...

The bike is for kicking around on, riding around town, weekend rides with the family, some light gravel riding, maybe bike packing if I find somehow manage to find more spare time.  Not too expensive (max £1,500 and ideally less), gravel groupset (ideally 1x), hydraulic brakes, easy to live with (i.e. relaxed geometry rather than racy).

I also have a light carbon road bike for road riding, and a light tourer/audax bike for longer rides, commuting, winter, etc.  

I've got a shortlist of bikes that fit the bill to a greater or lesser degree.  I wondered if there are any which I've missed off the list?  The mainstream manufacturers like Trek and Cannondale leave me a little cold - they generally seem quite underspecced at the same price points compared with the more obscure brands.  Happy to take opinions on the list as well.

Thanks in advance.

Sonder Camino
Kinesis G2
Ribble CGR 725
Cotic Escapade
Ragley Trig Adventure
Rondo Ruut AL
NS RAG +2
Bombtrack Hook 2
Whyte Glencoe
Whyte Dean
Genesis Vagabond
Canyon Grail 6
Pinnacle Arkose X
Canyon Grail 7
Nukeproof Digger Comp
Merlin Malt G2X

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Zermattjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not the biggest fan of their customer service, but the On-One Space Chicken with Rival for £1599 looks good. They seem to always have discount offers so there's a chance it'll fit under your £1.5k limit at some point.

I'd give a huge thumbs up to the Orbea Terra. I've got the carbon one, so it's a bit lighter, but the geometry means it's my ultimate N-1 bike - it's more like a gravel-capable road bike than these mtb-inspired gravel ones. It's comfortable, rapid on road and can take up to 45mm tyres no problem, mudguard eyelets too.

Zigster replied to Zermattjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks.  Should have mentioned that it will be a cycle to work purchase so that rules out Planet X.

Orbea Terra sounding even more tempting.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Great list.

I wonder how many are actually available in stock?

That will be your biggest problem.

I'd put the Orbea Terra on there too.

Forgetting availibility the Rondo Ruut and Sonder Camino are great bikes

Zigster replied to Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

Orbea Terra is a good spot - thanks.

Stock is definitely an issue but I'm not in a desperate rush. It might make a nice Christmas present to myself. 👍

Latest Comments