Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Kinesis Racelight T: Brakes long or short drop?

Hi folks.  I'm building a looks like a shitter, but is really decent, training bike to leave in Spain.

I picked up an old Kinesis Racelight T framset.  Impressively light and doesn't look too flash so hopefully won't interest thieves too much.  I'll build it up with a tatty old K force light carbon crankset to keep the weight down and add to the old hack look.

The old info in reviews say the bike has clearance for 32C tyres. Or 28s with mudguards.  Does anyone know whether it needs longer drop rim brakes?  I'm hoping not as I remember them being rubbish compared to more recent 105 and Ultegra brakes.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

kil0ran | 2 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for R650s if you can find them. Easily hauled up my 18st bulk, just slightly less responsive than 5800 brakes. Stick some Swisstops in and you'll hardly tell the difference. Not sure but R7000/R8000 brakes have generous drops - will fit a 30mm tyre I seem to remember. They might be an option. You can also get shoe adapters to drop brakes pads lower

Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
3 likes

I managed to get the R650s at £53 as nobody else bid.  Definitely needed the long drop calipers.  I decided against paying more than I did for the frameset for the superior TRP brakes, although they do look nicer.

DSC_0098.JPG

mikewood replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Result! You weren't after bling anyway smiley

Daniel Norton replied to mikewood | 2 years ago
0 likes

It's funny as I normally build bikes to look and ride amazing or look great to sell.  I'm really enjoying the challenge of making a bike as good as possible while not looking like it.

Maybe I should sell my best bike and build lots of these.   Great fun! smiley

HLaB | 2 years ago
1 like

My T2 needs long reach brakes.  I think its got R650's

mikewood | 2 years ago
0 likes

The only Shimano long drop brakes I could find recently were the R451. They are Tiagra level so have the one piece pads which aren't vey good. When I wore them out I fitted 105 level cartridges and pads and they are now excellent. I have clearance for 32mm gravel tyres and guards but the limiting factor might be the frame.

Daniel Norton replied to mikewood | 2 years ago
0 likes

They look decent but not great.  There is a set of BR650s (Ultegra) on ebay nobody has bid on yet.  One day left starting bid at £53 so tempted.  They seem to be out of stock everywhere, so probably no longer in production.

Simon E replied to mikewood | 2 years ago
0 likes

mikewood wrote:

The only Shimano long drop brakes I could find recently were the R451.

These are only compatible with specific shifter models. The SJS product page states:

"Must be used in conjunction with ST-4600, ST-4603, ST-5700, ST-5703, ST-6700 or ST-7900 STIs for correct leverage ratio"

The excellent R450 and R650 calipers have been discontinued, which is rubbish for those of us wanting to upgrade the calipers on older or lower-spec bikes.

mikewood replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

mikewood wrote:

The only Shimano long drop brakes I could find recently were the R451.

These are only compatible with specific shifter models. The SJS product page states:

"Must be used in conjunction with ST-4600, ST-4603, ST-5700, ST-5703, ST-6700 or ST-7900 STIs for correct leverage ratio"

The excellent R450 and R650 calipers have been discontinued, which is rubbish for those of us wanting to upgrade the calipers on older or lower-spec bikes.

They work perfectly with my 5800 levers which aren't in that list as they are later releases. For brakes, I'm not sure a change in lever ratio would be that much of an issue anyway if it was different

Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
2 likes

With that amount of tyre clearance you are almost certainly looking at long drop brakes. I recommend the TRP RG957's I recently fitted to my Light Blue Wolfson. They are great stoppers, at least as good as the Sram Red and Sram Force I have on other bikes. With effective blocks (as good as Swissstop) and stainless steel springs and screws they are pricey but I feel well worth it.

hawkinspeter replied to Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
1 like

I concur - the TRPs work really well for long drop brakes but they're usually over £100.

Daniel Norton replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for confirming what I though.  I had a look at the difference to another frame and it looks as though even older 105s won't fit so...

Yes, I had a look for the TRPs and can find them at £140.  NO second hands on ebay right now either that I can find.

Miche Performance look OKish.  I don't fancy bombing down a mountain and not having confidence in my brakes though.  1

This component shortage combined with fewer quality long-drop brakes available is not helping me right now.

Latest Comments