Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ideas for new (to me ) family bike?

Hi all,

I hope you can heko me with some ideas for a new bike. My Specialized Sirrus hybrid had been fine for my 12km-each way commute, though I had been considering something new. Now I've had that stolen the matter is more pressing.

I don't need a high performance racing machine, but am looking for something that has a decent turn of speed andcan comfortably handle the often poorly maintained cycle routes around town (potholes abound), the occasional steep hill and also hauling some young kids around. We have(/had) pannier rack mounted kids seats and both little ones are approaching 20kg. We're also considering a bike trailer with another newborn due imminently. Having had a flat top for several years I like the idea of going to drop bars though at the relatively upright end of them.

I was thinking about something like a Dawes Galaxy that sounds like it's built for the heavy loads of carrying the kids though I see that'd been discontinued this year. Does a Tourer make sense in that context? Another other thoughts of something at the "practical", multi functional end of the spectrum?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments