Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Highways England bridge infilling

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/16/burying-of-victorian-bri...

Gratified to see that the local council have put a stop to this vandalism. (Or at least reversed it.) I wonder if this will have any knock on effect for Queensbury tunnel, another potential cycle route cynically sabotaged by HE.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
3 likes

I do wonder if its entire possible to crowdfund a judicial review about HE's behaviour.  Deliberately damaging parts of the estate they are meant to be maintaining means they are being neglidgent in their job.  I'd like to see the terms of reference they have for looking after the historic railways estate.

And the attempted bribery.  The person who signed that off should be charged with Malfeasance in a Public office (or whatever the nearest actual equivalent is).

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
5 likes

I'm shocked that they tried to bribe their way out of reversing it.

IanMSpencer replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

The issue is that they would claim that such a decision doesn't set a precedent so the council should allow it as a one off.

Then in the next case, they get some developer trying to buy their way out of another retrospective cock up, and the Council try and refuse, and they are then asked what is the difference? As the Council are legally obliged to be reasonable, if they can't argue the difference (especially against expensive legal representation Vs cut price council reps), they discover they have made precedent after all.

brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

Nope - that'll end up as a separate court case/council decision, I suspect...

Latest Comments