Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help! Can someone identify this 'vintage' bike?

Hello all,

This is my first forum post so go easy!

I've been riding since childhood, quick 15-30 mile rides a couple of times a week on an old Marin Larkspur Hybrid, but I'm looking to take my cycling to the next level now.

I recently bought this classic racing bike. It's a Geoffrey Butler (of South Croydon I believe - Geoffrey being Claud Butler's younger brother), from the mid-1980's I assume.
It has a 22" butted steel Columbus frame, Cinelli drop bars, Mavic GP4 rims, Continental tubular nylon tyres (700 x 22) and every component is Suntour Cyclone. All original to my knowledge and it goes like clockwork (on the quick testing ride).
Also included was the matching original bike pump!

I have a few questions for you more knowledgeable out there to help me shed some light on this beautiful bike:

- What specific model is it (more specifically then being a mid-80's Geoffrey Butler)
- I picked it up for £85, is that good price and how much is it valued at?
- If it were you, would you use this as your road bike (for the 30 milers and the odd 50 miler here and there)?
- Or would you store it and wait for appreciation, if any?
- Finally, the tyres being tubular, would you seek to replace the rims with modern ones that can accommodate normal tyres and inner tubes? I've heard these old tubular ones can be a right pain when punctured/need replacing (due to the strong glue/tape that attaches them to the rims).

Thanks for reading this long message, please see the attached images to build a better picture.
I'm eager to hear what you all think!

Kind regards,
Jas23

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think you found a lovely bicycle there, I'd be tempted to ride it for retro joy and have it for the next l'eroica brittania, whenever it might be.

You just need to start getting the retro outfit next.

You might find it difficult to mate it with more modern components, thinking about getting more modern wheels.  Old freewheel, new freehub, perhaps.

Good find.

Jas23 replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Ktache,

Thanks very much for the advise, I'll take it onboard. Perhaps then I should try finding a more modern road bike for my riding as I wouldn't want to inadvertently damage this one (with preserving it for retro rides, etc in mind). I am chuffed with it!

Any clue whatsoever as to what model it is, from what year, etc? I'd love to know!

Take care,

Jas23

Drinfinity replied to Jas23 | 3 years ago
0 likes

The Geoffrey Butler Cycles shop is still going in Croydon - you could ask them.

It's a nice looking bike. I'd fit the rear wheel right back into the dropouts, put the original pump on, and ride it out on sunny days. Tubular tyres are still popular for racing, the ride quality is part of the bike - I'd keep the wheels. I might be tempted to put some new tubs on if the originals are 35 years old, and maybe some modern brake blocks.

Jas23 replied to Drinfinity | 3 years ago
1 like

Hi Drinfinity,

I think that's what I'll do; get some new tubs on the original wheels and ride it along the coast on nice days.
I reached out to G.Butler bicycles and they are also intrigued so are going to check their records to help identify the model! Very helpful indeed.

Thanks very much and take care,
Jas23

Jas23 | 3 years ago
0 likes

So this is the bike. Note I've attached my own saddle and pump but I have both the originals.

Jas23 replied to Jas23 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Another photo

Latest Comments