Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HELP AND ADVICE FOR A BEGINNER

<p>Morning all, like many people I cleaned up my bicycle during the first lockdown and quickly fell in love with cycling again.<br />
&nbsp;</p>

<p>The bike is average so I've decided to buy a proper road bike. This will be a 10-year investment for me and have picked out the Giant Contend SL1 Disc. Yes, it's pricey, but the spec seems good, especially&nbsp;the hydraulic brake setup - and I understand Shimano's 105 system is pretty decent, too?</p>

<p>I would like to know your thoughts and would welcome any advice you can give me in respect of the best essentials I need to get going - and some of the&nbsp;most better priced shops/websites to buy these items from.</p>

<p>Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Lots of good advice here, and I endorse the Decathlon tip - good stuff at good prices. One thing not mentioned above but invaluable if you plan longer rides in cold weather (or just get cold ears) - a fleecy headband such as skiers user (and I think some runners might use lighter ones) can save you considerable discomfort for just a few £. Depend where and where you're riding but I swear (and sweat) by mine.

I was pleased to see someone mentioned mudguards... again, depends where and when you plan to ride but winter roads can stay wet long after the rain stops, and a soggy arse isn't much fun (nor is getting your bike caked in crap). If you think you'd benefit from them, check what'll fit your bike - not all are very mudguard-friendly.

David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

The Giant isn't super pricey - looks a nice choice. I don't own any press-fit bottom brackets but this seems to be the source of a lot of problems of creaks that won't go away. 

have a look at Shimano M340 or similar as pedals - dual sided so you can switch your shoes easily.  I don't recommend the proper road clip in system to begin with. 

The gears will probably go crazy on you after a couple weeks - cables stretch a bit from new and just need adjusting,  and it's not unusual for random bolts to undo, so look out.  Don't die of fright if the tyres, saddle and handlebar tape need changing after a few months - finishing kit is often pretty basic. 

If you have a Decathlon nearby, have a look at some proper clothes - normal stuff will get damp and chill you and may chafe after a few miles.  Don't neglect your hands and feet.  You probably want some kind of mudguard - a load of wet from the road will chill you. 

Get a helmet would be my advice. Glasses protect your eyes from overhanging brambles, dust in summer and the wind. 

planet X do wool socks, base layers and gloves at sensible prices.  You'll also need a pump, puncture kit, 2 spare inner tubes, multi tool, mini-pliers, some spare bolts.  Have a look at seller Laxzo on EBay for a range of support items you'll need. 

consider some lights - I've been very pleased with an own brand set I recently had from ProBikeIt. 

viewranger for navigation on your 'phone. 

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
2 likes

Decathlon are very good for a lot of a lot of the cycling basics - leg warmers, arm warmers, gloves, lights etc. The prices are very reasonable and I've always found the quality to be fine. In fact, even for the more non-basic stuff, like helmets and cycling shoes, their own brand stuff is very good and well priced. They also never quibble if you want to return anything (although to be fair, my lbs doesn't either). I recently ordered some stuff from them for the first time (I live close to one so I've never previously needed to) and it came vey quickly.

Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
1 like

The bike looks great - 105 is all you'll ever need unless you're at the pointy end of racing / can't resist shiny gubbins. Don't be afraid to change things/try new things if you don't like them - second-hand stems and saddles can be had for a few quid on e-bay.

Consider investing in a bike fit if you're having trouble setting up your position yourself - or, even better, buy from somewhere that will help you out with a proper fit from the get-go. That said, there's plenty of tutorials out there that'll give you the information you need. Francis Cade and Cam Nicholls on youtube have good (and entertaining) video series.

Decent bib shorts are, for me, a must for any lengthier ride. My first pair were Decathlon and have done very well - lots of bang for your buck. I also like Kalf (Evans own brand, though they might be phasing it out, boo) and Galibier, both great value in the main.

mdavidford | 3 years ago
7 likes

You'll need opinions you're prepared to fight to the death over on the wearing of helmets, disc brakes, dropped seat stays, and how far from home you should be allowed to travel "in these pandemic times". 

Simon E | 3 years ago
2 likes

Buy from a decent bricks & mortar shop so that you get a bike that fits properly and can go to for servicing & support ... provided you can find a bike, due to Covid-19 they are pretty sparse. LBS was having half a dozen Giant/Liv models delivered as I popped round this a.m. and most were already spoken for.

Alternatively buy a secondhand bike now via ebay or a local facebook buy-and-sell group then upgrade later when stock levels are better.

If you're doing some miles then you will probably want some decent clothing (shorts, tights, jerseys, jacket, gloves etc), a pump, a good lock, some tools, clipless pedals and cycling-specific shoes, front and rear lights...

Lots of useful articles in the Features section at https://road.cc/features and there is a lengthy discussion in December:

https://road.cc/content/forum/share-your-advice-those-new-cycling-279119

FMJC9787 replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
0 likes

Spot on, Simon E - thank you so much.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
1 like

Hi, That bike seems a decent bet tbh if you can find a shop with stock (big shortage at that price point and below at that moment).

You'll need a saddle bag and spares to put insdie - spare inner tubes, patches,  tyre levers, multitool and so on (plus you'll need to put a small mini pump somewhere on the bike or carry it).

Don't worry too much about cycle clothes until you're doing decent distances...and when you do you can get some really good priced kit from Decathlon or Wiggle (an online cycle store that has their own brand - dnb)

The main stores are wiggle/chain reaction (same owner)/Tredz/Merlin/Decathlon and there'll be loads more as you get into it and start googling for stuff  1 If you do have a decent local bike shop nearby, see if you can put  some business their way - they'll (hopefully) be full of good advice and are good to know for servcing and so on.

Oh, and you'll also need lube for the chain and a cleaning products for the chain and bike - dont have to spend a lot here.

Also, search this and other sites for 'beginner' articles - they'll help you get going too.

Good luck and welcome!!

FMJC9787 replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
1 like

Fantastic help and advice. Thank you so much, EddyBerckx.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

This reads like an ad with all those unresolved html tags

</cynic>

Latest Comments