Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Group riding distance

I recently joined a cycling club and have been out a number of times in the C group (average 13-14mph with ride distances between 30-40 miles). I am, however, looking to step up to the B group in the coming weeks for a relatively flat 70 miler, with about 2k of elevation (average 15-17mph).

My question is, will I be able to ride that sort of distance? My longest solo ride has been around 50 miles at around 15mph. I know riding in a group is much more efficient, but how much of a difference will it make over those extra 20 miles?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Grahamd | 3 years ago
1 like

Well done for wanting to progress, the people best placed to answer are almost certainly those who you cycle with already. If you are finishing your current rides feeling that you still have reserves then why not go and a complete some more miles to replicate the longer distance, which may help with your decision.

pablo | 3 years ago
2 likes

The only real way of knowing is to do it! Honestly I think you'll be fine riding in the bunch is far easier than solo and not just for the efficiency aspect but mental as well which is generally what defeats people anyway (me included). B rides are normally no drop as well so if you are a bit slow I'm sure they won't leave you and if you feel the pace is a little strong shout out. From 70 it's only a small step up to that first century.

Titanus replied to pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

From 70 it's only a small step up to that first century.

Someone said something similar while stepping onto the Moon.

Latest Comments