Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giles Coren rambling on in The Times - extract

Before "it" started, we used to take the Saturday Telegraph so we knew what was happening in the posh bits of Islington and The Cotswolds and The Guardian so we knew what was happening in Camden and in Brighton. We ended up with The Times yesterday. Oh dear. 

I guess these childish ramblings, and I guess times are tough in the restaurant world,  will get branded "satire" if challenged, but this level of angry disconnected thought seems now to be what passes as national discourse.  Having recently watched the Lucy Worsely programme on the Russian revolution, I knew Uncle Joe was a bit of a rotter, but wow.

Anyway, cars are fun and freedom, right Giles...

I'm not against the war on car per se. I drive electric, l cycle, I walk.  I'd pull all cars off the road tomorrow and make the whole world carbon neutral now if it were down to me.

What l hate is the pusillanimity. The disingenuousness. It's the same little Stalins in local government who hate drivers for the freedom and the relative wealth that driving connote - and wear high-vis gilets at home to put the bins out, or empty the dishwasher  who just loooooove the coronavirus because of the licence it gives them to restrict people's basic freedoms and put up yet more signs, feeling a mild tumescence in their BHS Y-fronts as they rubber-stamp an order for 1,000 more special "Covid-19 bus stop" posters from the Pointless intrusive Signage Department. 

These neo-Soviet throwbacks want everyone to have a crap time. 

[and so on]

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
4 likes

Probably best not to listen to anything Giles Coren says, to be honest.  A man with fairly distasteful views on many subjects, and so desperate to be popular he thinks second-division Clarksonism will make him A-list.

mike the bike | 3 years ago
0 likes

He's got a point when he talks about the jobsworths who patrol certain areas of our Covid lives.  I've come across several shop assistants who seem to revel in their new-found authority and delight in humiliating the old, the confused and the careless.

And we've all seen the plethora of stick-on signage that desecrates our environment, often whilst contradicting itself.  My local coffee house, for example has two doors.  On each there is a sign announcing the one-way system and also on each is a large, clear No Entry. 

Kapelmuur replied to mike the bike | 3 years ago
4 likes

My teenage student granddaughter works par time in a shop, the management instructed her and her colleagues to monitor the shop entrance and ask customers to wear face coverings in the shop.

The amount of aggressive, bullying, patronising and downright nasty reactions these young women received resulted in the shop giving up on trying to control the selfish behaviour of (some) customers.

Sorry you've been humiliated.

pockstone | 3 years ago
5 likes

Another posh entitled knob writes an article for the Times, fails to engage brain or refer back to expensive education before putting pen to paper, just about manages required word (salad) count to get paid, doesn't give a shit about collateral damage. (Ref. Parris & Littlejohn).

Don't be surprised.

Latest Comments