Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Road CC’s Road Bike of the Year

Having read up on very favourable reviews & being ready to upgrade my Merlin Nitro SL for a new bike, I've been looking at buying a Giant TCR advanced pro 1. Cracking frameset, Ultegra groupo with double sided power/meter & Deep section carbon hoops make it a good deal (though still not cheap by any standard) at £3,700. But, regardless of costs - it seems all the usual sites are sold out of all sizes, does anyone know if Giant are to resupply dealers soon please ? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Singe69 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at an Orro Venturi - assembled in this country - outstanding value for money at the kind of price you're looking at. Outstanding review on this site. 

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've been looking at bikes around the same price point and yeah, so many 2021 bikes have been sold out for a while or simply not been delivered - and it's hard to know if any will come back in stock or not (no one can be sure).

Then you have the big price hikes...Trek added a hell of a lot to their models recently. A 2020 madone at £3900 is now £4600 with zero spec change, not all manufacturers have done this but it's only a matter of time it seems

Recoveryride replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

EddyBerckx wrote:

so many 2021 bikes have been sold out for a while or simply not been delivered - and it's hard to know if any will come back in stock or not (no one can be sure).

Then you have the big price hikes...Trek added a hell of a lot to their models recently. A 2020 madone at £3900 is now £4600 with zero spec change, not all manufacturers have done this but it's only a matter of time it seems

Spot on: and the 2 reasons I took the plunge of going custom. I think smaller Uk framebuilders are going to do a lot more business this year (as they did in the second half of 2020), which is perhaps one upside.

Rendel Harris replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

EddyBerckx wrote:

I've been looking at bikes around the same price point and yeah, so many 2021 bikes have been sold out for a while or simply not been delivered - and it's hard to know if any will come back in stock or not (no one can be sure).

£3,200 will get you the Van Rysel ULTRA CF Ultegra Di2, as used by the AG2R La Mondiale U-19 squad (with Dura-Ace rather than Ultegra, but Harry Tanfield himself told me last year (on Facebook) that there's f-all difference) and all sizes but M are available. I'd be seriously considering it if I had that budget!

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

My LBS is a Giant dealer, and their view is that stock of popular bikes in the common sizes s going to be patchy for most brands until late summer, so if you see one, get it. They got a batch of Cannondales in (after having nothing for a few months) and sold them within a week; the only stock that hangs around is the >5k models. That TCR will be a fairly big seller, so it'll just be a case of grabbing your chance if/when you see it (and be prepared to pay full RRP).

I suspect your only realistic option is to search dealers within as wide a radius as you're prepared to travel. I've found ringing shops with poor websites or who don't take orders online can be a good tactic, as they don't often turn up in Google searches. Another option is to look at German and Dutch sites, who seem to have generally better stock levels than we do.

RoadieRoadie replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Recoveryride, good ideas - will have a look to see if any of smaller local ish Giant dealerships have any TCR's for sale & interesting ideas to think about an outlet on the continent too, though less confident to buy & get safely delivered from Europe at the moment after Brexit with goods stuck in customs / docks for months. Ideally I'd like to test ride too as I'm usually between frame sizes. 

Daveyraveygravey replied to RoadieRoadie | 3 years ago
1 like

You might find you get an extra bill too, lots of stories of people buying things from Europe being hit with import duties and other costs after we left the EU.  Johnson and his cronies should be shot.

schlepcycling replied to Daveyraveygravey | 3 years ago
0 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

You might find you get an extra bill too, lots of stories of people buying things from Europe being hit with import duties and other costs after we left the EU.  Johnson and his cronies should be shot.

The likelihood is that buying from Europe will attract 14% import duty and then 20% UK VAT so for a £3,700 bike you could be looking at nearly £5,000 + any fees the delivery courier adds. 

Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

All Terrain Cycles has one left in med/large and one in large for £3,500

https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/giant-tcr-advanced-pro-1-road-bike-20...

RoadieRoadie replied to Rendel Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks- great suggestion, unfortunately I'm hoping to get the disc version & this one whilst great is the rim brake model. 

Latest Comments