Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

GCN+, Discovery+, or Eurosport?

Logged on to Eurosport Player to watch the CX worlds to find out it's been "retired". Fortunately had time to swap over to iPlayer. My Eurosport Player sub runs until May (pre-Giro) and trying to work out which service I should subscribe to. Need to be able to watch on Apple TV, laptop via browser, and mobile devices.

Looks like Discovery+ is most expensive but any idea if it has ad-free streams for certain races? Likewise does GCN+ do that? I much prefer ad-free coverage (which is how I used to watch on Eurosport) and am willing to pay extra for it. Also like The Breakaway, if only for the fashion tips and awkward dancing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

dubwise | 1 year ago
1 like

Do people not read emails?

Eurosport sent out numerous emails explaining that the player would close on 13/01 and to log onto the Eurosport website for the "player" section. Or install the Eurosport app.

As to those complaining that they didn't get a refund, why would you when the service is still available?

hawkinspeter replied to dubwise | 1 year ago
5 likes

dubwise wrote:

Do people not read emails?

As someone who works in IT, definitely not.

kil0ran replied to dubwise | 1 year ago
0 likes

Nope, didn't see an email. But that's not surprising as I have a separate email address for each online service

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks all - GCN it is then. I spend enough time sat in front of my work monitor during the week that I don't want to do that on weekends with a Tripel Karmeleit and a bowl of frites.

LeeMn | 1 year ago
1 like

If you have a smart phone, you can download the Eurosport app. Log in with your current credentials and you can watch live and recorded programmes there, like you could on the player app. Assuming you have a live account.

go to eurosport.com, log in and watch programmes there too.

My iPhone can stream direct to my LG tv, from my Wi-Fi through my phone and onto the tv screen.

If you have an Amazon firestick, the Eurosport app is also on available on that. Not sure about GCN.

Hope that helps.

jollygoodvelo | 1 year ago
1 like

I was on Eurosport Player for years - always disappointed by how thin their coverage was.  "Highlights" that were just the last 5km, etc.

Signed up to GCN+ this year, very happy although a bit annoyed that I didn't think to look around for discount codes.

If anyone knows how I can get GCN+ through my TV though (Virgin box, Amazon stick, non-smart TV), that'd be appreciated.

Steve K replied to jollygoodvelo | 1 year ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

If anyone knows how I can get GCN+ through my TV though (Virgin box, Amazon stick, non-smart TV), that'd be appreciated.

I use Google Chromecast, but I think you can mirror your screen with an Amazon stick.

hawkinspeter replied to jollygoodvelo | 1 year ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

I was on Eurosport Player for years - always disappointed by how thin their coverage was.  "Highlights" that were just the last 5km, etc.

Signed up to GCN+ this year, very happy although a bit annoyed that I didn't think to look around for discount codes.

My Virgin box has a YouTube app under "Apps & Games" (from the "Home" screen) which is presumably installed by default as I've never used it.

arckuk replied to jollygoodvelo | 1 year ago
0 likes

The GCN app is available for the Amazon fire stick - works nicely on mine!

Rezis replied to jollygoodvelo | 1 year ago
1 like

Hi, there is a GCN+ app for the Amazon stick I think. There is for my old Fire box anyway...

Velophaart_95 | 1 year ago
1 like

Go on the Eurosport.com website, and enter your Eurosport Player details....That should work - it has for me. And there is an ad-free stream.

essexian replied to Velophaart_95 | 1 year ago
1 like

Works for me also.

Excellent coverage of the World CX's final yesterday. I also enjoyed the Saudi tour last week having been there in 1977.... still covered in sand I see!

huntswheelers | 1 year ago
1 like

I was pee'd off with Eurosport (Discovery) as I had the player before GCN+ was a thing. I also subscribed to GCN+ as I got into watching some obscure sports on Eurosport player. However I was really peev'd as I purchased the annual subscription and got no refund when they closed the app/player down. I still have GCN + and see all the cycling I want, however I do have a VPN too and watch cycling from Belgium on VRT and VTM app's but that would be complicated for many to do. I have NO wish to have Discovery + and all the other TV they are foisting on you. Grab GCN+ and enjoy......for now..... I suspect it'll end up being drawn into the Discovery + package in the future.

s

Steve K | 1 year ago
1 like

GCN+ is ad-free - and has The Breakaway.

I think Discovery+ costs more because it gives you more sports, not just cycling.

I subscribe to GCN+ but have just found out I now get Discovery+ free with my mobile phone contract, so may be overpaying!

Latest Comments