Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Varia Radar data analysis

I like many other people use a Garmin Varia Radar light when out and about, it helps by visually indicating number and proximity of vehicles behind, and increases the frequency and intensity of the rear flash as they approach. 

Anyway, there's a great app in the Garmin Connect iQ app store to run on Edge head units that can harvest and display additonal data, I discovered this last year and thought I'd share it. I have no association with Garmin or mybiketraffic.com, so your mileage may vary, etc.

(continues)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
1 like

Ipressive. The overview stats below confirm my feeling that I interact with a couple of hundred cars in a 60 mile ride (their average ride is shorter and of course we don't know where these riders are). As they gather more data it would be interesting to see it broken down between countryside and conurbation though getting the data to do that might be tricky (sure it exists though, for example the breakdowns you can get through .gov sites of population areas).

Simon_MacMichael | 2 years ago
0 likes

Really interesting thread, thanks for that, it's often said many of us only use a fraction of the capabilities of the various gadgets etc we own, so having a think about whether there's an opportunity for an article at some point on how to get the most out of your tech kit and apps etc.

mdavidford replied to Simon_MacMichael | 2 years ago
0 likes

Simon_MacMichael wrote:

it's often said many of us only use a fraction of the capabilities of the various gadgets etc we own

I thought that was brains?

Simon_MacMichael replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
1 like

mdavidford wrote:

Simon_MacMichael wrote:

it's often said many of us only use a fraction of the capabilities of the various gadgets etc we own

I thought that was brains?

That too, especially after a few pints of Brains SA aka "Skull Attack"

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

I like gadgets but I'm not sure how useful this is. Is it mainly for long rides where there are fewer cars and overtakes?

HoarseMann | 2 years ago
0 likes

Neat! Spotted a table of aggregated stats on their website.

https://www.mybiketraffic.com/stats/countries

Average number of overtakes per ride in the UK is 102.

wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

This may all be very well, but the assorted '2 O levels or less' Cro-Magnons down at The Filth will pay no attention to it, even when the cessation of the data stream confirms that you're dead because the BMW/ Audi driver just ran straight into you at 45 mph with 0 'slowdown amount', and will just bin the whole lot as 'insufficient evidence' in order to quickly get back to the station for 'do-nuts'. HY66 ZZB was doing 45, had allowed his plate to become so filthy that ANPR has no chance and his tax ran out on 4.6.19. I bet his MOT is bent as well. Lancashire Constabulary will do absolutely nothing about it.

tigersnapper replied to wtjs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Report it to the DVSA. They won't care about close passes etc but will be interested in tax, MOT.

wtjs replied to tigersnapper | 2 years ago
0 likes

Very amusing. Are they hell!

mark1a | 2 years ago
0 likes

First, there's a configurable data field from the Connect IQ app store that can display vehicle count, and both absolute and relative vehicle speeds.

mark1a replied to mark1a | 2 years ago
1 like

Next, you can upload your ride data to mybiketraffic.com and see exactly where each vehicle was that was behind you, their speed, and even animate the map to show passing places.

mark1a replied to mark1a | 2 years ago
0 likes

Further analysis available, regarding number of concurrent vehicles, pass time, approach speed, pass speed and slow-down amount.

Latest Comments