Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Cycle Computor

Hi all, i would like to upgrade my Cateye Cycle Computer to a Garmin,never had one before. My budget is up too £250. I mostly would like to use it for exploring,so maps are important to have. I dont really need any training info.I would like to be able to connect to Strava and at some point add a Heart Rate Monitor and Cadence device. Which Garmin would you recommend please.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

RafatheRed | 3 years ago
1 like

Bought The Wahoo Element Stealth Bundle. Having used it for a week i must say its great and very happy with it. Easy to set up and use. downloads maps with ease. Recommended.

RafatheRed | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks All, Having read countless review,forums and YouTube Streams i think im leaning towards the Wahoo Element Bolt. Not perfect,but what is apparent is that it seems to perform better than Garmin and its easier to set up. One day Strava might include turn by turn and mybe Wahoo will add re-route which were my main issues with the wahoo.Going to find a bundle deal. Thanks again all.

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
2 likes

I have an Elemnt Roam and am by and large very happy with it. I think the Garmin equivalent has more functionality (especially re. navigation), but the Wahoo is completely intuitive and 'just works'. It syncs really well with my other apps (Strava, TrainerRoad), and I like being able to identify 'favourite' segments and get live timing updates (vs KOM, vs PR, etc). The display is easy to read and it's easy to customise the different screens. The rerouting function is poor, however.

Anecdotally, Wahoo seem to have fewer problems than Garmin, but that's perhaps just my perception.

RafatheRed replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Having read countless review,forums and YouTube Streams i think im leaning towards the Wahoo Element Bolt. Not perfect,but what is apparent is that it seems to perform better than Garmin and its easier to set up. One day Strava might include turn by turn and mybe Wahoo will add re-route which were my main issues with the wahoo.Going to find a bundle deal. Thanks 

kamoshika | 3 years ago
1 like

Any particular reason why Garmin? In your position I'd get a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I switched to Wahoo from Garmin and I (and alot of others from what I've read) would never go back. 

RafatheRed replied to kamoshika | 3 years ago
0 likes

No reason for Garmin, i had a quick look at the Wahoo.Looks interesting. I will do some research and watch some 'youtube' reviews. Thanks for the advice

RafatheRed replied to kamoshika | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I have read reviews which all seem positive. One thing did crop up and i dont know if you have the answear.Is it correct that if i upload a route from strava the Wahoo does not give you route directions?

mdavidford replied to RafatheRed | 3 years ago
1 like

It depends what you mean by 'directions'. You can sync routes from Strava and follow the breadcrumb trail, but you won't get turn-by-turn instructions. If you want those on the Bolt you'll need to plot the route in Komoot, RideWithGPS, or its own companion app.

huntswheelers | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bryton Rider 450... Even with sensors well in your budget... has maps for roads and trails world wide... decent app... Easy to set and upload routes on the device instead of load before you go...32hr battery life... Links to electronic shifting too...does more than you'll ever need...but price point is spot on...I have had mine since July 19 used it in UK, Belgium & Netherlands ..uploads no problems at all ever...links to all the online sites as well as training sites....yet pays her money and takes her choice for me...super kit

RafatheRed replied to huntswheelers | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for the feedback. I like the battery life ,however on the whole it seems there are many more functions than i need or want. I will still research it though.

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Slightly out of budget is the Edge 800, this should (others might too) come with a function that allows you to input a route distance and the gps will offer different routes, for that extra bit of exploration fun. I've had mine for years and it appears bobproof but memory can get wet in torrential rain and corrupt the active file.

RafatheRed replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi,thanks for feed back,Yes a little too much for me to spend though. Considering the Garmin 530,not sure i can input an end destitination.Mybe the Explore may be better?

MrMoo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I use the edge 130. Unless you need more detailed maps (e.g. when using in a city), it does everything you need and is small, light and easy to read. 

Welsh boy replied to MrMoo | 3 years ago
0 likes

MrMoo wrote:

I use the edge 130. Unless you need more detailed maps (e.g. when using in a city), it does everything you need and is small, light and easy to read. 

Funny, my 130 doesnt have maps, it does breadcrumb mapping but that only lets you follow a route you have pre-loaded and that still doesn't show other roads and just uses an arrow to point in the general direction you need if you stray off course.

RafatheRed replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, i read the same about breadcrumb mapping,think i would like more detailed mapping.Thanks for feedback.

Latest Comments