Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fulcrum wheel bearings

I have recently acquired a 2nd hand set of Fulcrum Racing DB CX wheels as a spare set for the CS bike.

The NDS rear bearing is a bit gritty and could do with replacing - can anyone recommend some decent bearings and where to get them from, please?

I don't want the cheapest, but don't want to pay through the nose, either.

Interestingly, the DS and NDS bearings seem to be different sized, with smaller diameter on the DS.

Thanks,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

EM69 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Agree with comment regarding cycling specific bearings. All my Fulcrum wheels take 6903 (61903) 2rs 17x30x7mm bearings which are readily available in steel, stainless steel or ceramic and very easy to replace (find a video tutorial). One of the reasons I use Fulcrum as well as being bloody good wheels is their easy maintenance. 

TheFatAndTheFurious | 2 years ago
0 likes

I got a set of "ENDURO MR18307LLB-ABEC5 Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 18x30x7mm" for my Racing 4 DB front (disc) from Simply Bearings for £25 inc vat and P&P.

It was a couple of quid extra for ABEC5 vs ABEC3 so I didn't even care whether it made a difference or not. It took a couple of rides for them to "unstick" (technical term) and since then, they've been excellent.

As others have noted, the reference numbers on the seals of the original bearings are _NOT_ correct, which is total WTF-ery.

LastBoyScout | 2 years ago
0 likes

Seems my local bike shop has all the sizes in stock, so I'm going to pop down there at some point and see what fits.

Then I'll maybe order some Enduro ones next time, when I know what definitely fits.

huntswheelers | 2 years ago
1 like

Fulcrum are pretty standard bearings.... we keep them in stock...and tend to use Enduro's .... 6000's and 6001's are pretty commonplace.... 61903's are too in the freehubs but....I've seen Fulcrums with 6000's in freehubs too...  Safe Riding

LastBoyScout | 2 years ago
0 likes

Finally got round to looking at this in anger (try moving house and home-schooling 2 kids in a pandemic, among other things) and it seems the bearings are:

Front - quoted as Fulcrum part RT-004 = 18 x 30 x 7 mm. Actually in there are 2x 61903-2RS, which are 17 x 30 x 7

Rear - Fulcrum part R5-004 =12 x  28 x 8 mm. Actually in there is a 6000RS 10 x 26 x 8 on one side and a 6001RS 12 x 28 x 8 on the other side.

Checking with a local-ish supplier what they can supply before I start looking online - CRC seem to have various options.

stuartcoupe replied to LastBoyScout | 2 years ago
1 like

I would recommend you check the sizes with a caliper. I have had bearings in fulcrum wheels that did not match the sizes suggested by the numbers on the seals.

LastBoyScout replied to stuartcoupe | 2 years ago
0 likes

Interesting you say that.
My digital calipers concur with the 30 x 7 part, but register 17.96mm, which leans towards the 18, rather than 17.

However, 18x30x7 seems a much rarer bearing size - at least from Enduro.

stuartcoupe replied to LastBoyScout | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I think you need the sizes quoted by fulcrum not the sizes on the seals but I would double check. I have a couple of replacements here with the same size on the seal that won't fit!

LastBoyScout replied to stuartcoupe | 2 years ago
1 like

Yes, Fulcrum were right and the seals were wrong.

Bike shop had them all in stock, so got there there for now, but will look more widely next time I need them and then get into all the fun of ABEC-3 -v- ABEC-5 spec  1

Now, where can I get a reasonably priced bearing press...

matthewn5 replied to LastBoyScout | 2 years ago
0 likes

LastBoyScout wrote:

Now, where can I get a reasonably priced bearing press...

Length of threaded rod, two nuts and some penny washers will do at a pinch.

Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just Google R5-004 bearings 

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
0 likes

In Sheffield I'm lucky enough to live within cycling distance of both the Peak District and City Seals and Bearings. I recently got some replacement bearings for a DT Swiss wheel from them. I just took the old bearings down, all they needed was the code on the outside of the seal to give me the correct replacements (and I'd imagine that if that hadn't been readable, they probably would've got the calipers out and taken some measurements). I don't know how widespread such establishments are (Sheffield's obviously got a strong engineering sector), but well worth visiting if you can find one near to you... supporting local businesses and all that. Also, +1 on a using socket set to drift the old bearings out and the new ones in. I did a bit of research online on bike forums, and found some links to really useful youtube instructional videos. Admittedly, I did then need some help from my more mechanically minded brother to complete the job!

Balthazar | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'll support the comments above- you should find your wheel in the spares catalogues here

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/download-technical-documentation

which will give you the bearing dimensions. If you can afford the time between disassembly and rebuild, you could just measure your bearings- a cheap vernier gauge is fine (they will be a standard size, to a nearest mm)- and buy new from a generic bearing supplier like simplybearings.

If you have just a little mechanical sensitivity, and a socket set, it isnt difficult to devise ways to drift sealed bearings in and out of position. 

LastBoyScout replied to Balthazar | 3 years ago
0 likes

Balthazar wrote:

I'll support the comments above- you should find your wheel in the spares catalogues here

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/download-technical-documentation

which will give you the bearing dimensions. If you can afford the time between disassembly and rebuild, you could just measure your bearings- a cheap vernier gauge is fine (they will be a standard size, to a nearest mm)- and buy new from a generic bearing supplier like simplybearings.

If you have just a little mechanical sensitivity, and a socket set, it isnt difficult to devise ways to drift sealed bearings in and out of position. 

Thanks - I'd already looked in the catalogues, but couldn't find the specific bearing sizes. I've got a decent set of digital calipers, so finding the size shouldn't be an issue, it was more where to get them from.

I've used the socket set trick before, but I think my Dad now has a bearing press, anyway.

kaza456 replied to LastBoyScout | 2 years ago
0 likes

My son has the same bike but when he tried to find a part it was hard cause not all shops in our area have one. i believe that it will take few good years till then. anyway, I will replace and buy a new bike. I learn my mistake. i think that before people by bike they need to check that the part is reachable and not that expensive.

Richbeck | 3 years ago
0 likes

Nsk, ntn, fag, skf- all good cartridge bearings - you should hopefully find the size etched on the current bearing - +1 for Hambini.

mike the bike | 3 years ago
0 likes

As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as a cycle specific bearing; they work just as well in a multitude of other applications.  So, to avoid paying the wheel distributors' prices you could just order from someone like qualitybearingsonline.com and have your choice of manufacturer.  You will need to find the dimensions, or at least the serial numbers from your current bearings.

As a matter of interest the knowledgeable engineer and cyclist Hambini (Google him if you don't know his work) is always very complimentary about NSK bearings.

Best of luck.

Latest Comments