Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Frame mount covers/blanks

I've got a new carbon frame with with lots of excellent frame mounts (e.g. on the forks), although don't need to use them all. Any suggestions on sourcing covers to blank them off to keep the water/crud out? Not having much joy finding something so far. 

Many thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Grub | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for the help and suggestions folks. Much appreciated.

levestane | 1 year ago
1 like

Maybe nylon bolts or thumb screws with just sufficent thread would work?

ktache replied to levestane | 1 year ago
0 likes

I had a mate who replaced his unused bottle bolts with equivalent nylon bolts. Cheaper and lighter than Ti. More for comedic effect though.

quiff | 1 year ago
2 likes

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/id-m5-frame-plugs-pack-of-20/

I have a Faran that is very well equipped with bosses, but every one came with a bolt. Can't say I'm that bothered about the weight or look of the unnecessary bolts, but it's a very different sort of bike. 

Grub replied to quiff | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ah yes, SJS Cycles, should have been the first place I checked!

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

I searched "bottle cage bolt plugs" and got lots of hits of a variety of things fit for the task.

I've got a couple of open holes and for my purposes sticking a bolt in them works fine!

Sizing should be M5.

brooksby replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

I had two 'open' holes on the frame of an old Dawes I bought second-hand, one halfway down each fork.  I tried to find bolts that fitted but couldn't, finally gave up and just put a blob of Sugru over each one.  YMMV.

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

I had two 'open' holes on the frame of an old Dawes I bought second-hand, one halfway down each fork.  I tried to find bolts that fitted but couldn't, finally gave up and just put a blob of Sugru over each one.  YMMV.

Another vote for Sugru.

My Genesis has a frame hole for the rear brake hose and Di2 cable and it originally came with a two-part plastic plug with the appropriate holes, but it ended up breaking. My LBS fitted replacements when they serviced it, but the replacement broke within a week or so which I think is to do with the brake hose moving when hitting the rear brake, so I used Sugru instead. When I next took it into the LBS, I asked the mechanic about it as they'd left it in place which surprised me as I asked them to replace the Di2 cable as I'd damaged it a bit. He said it was a known issue with the plastic cover and thought my Sugru fix was as good as any other solution so he'd dutifully threaded the cable through it and left it in place.

Latest Comments