Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Foot pain when cycling.

Hi guys, I've been on and off cycling for a few years now. Anytime that I start to do 30+ miles I start to get a burning foot pain that gets progessively worse! Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Yorky-M | 3 years ago
0 likes

Most carbon shoes are too stiff  for most of us. Power transfer! sells, but 150watts around the lanes and most dont need this. Cheaper shoes I have found are more comfortable. I have £300 Sworks shoes that give me hives just  looking at them and the £120 Elite, nylon shoe with carbon insert under the cleat are on point.

Insoles should mirror the shape of your foot. I have found if the burning sensation is on the outside of the foot , your shoes may be too narrow IF the pressure point is at the join between the shoe and the upper.

alotronic | 3 years ago
0 likes

Lots of places to look:

Shoes a bit small or too narrow restricting blood flow
Pedal type - SPD's a relatively narrow, for some reason Look pattern places pressure at the wrong point where SPDL's are fine - go figure
Insoles - definetely a place to start
Shoes - Bonts, lakes and Spez work for me, nothing else does
Taking your shoes off at cafe stops (odours!)
Cleat position and fit (but it's usually the above)
Take you feet out of cleats and shakes foot down to get blood in when you are coasting downhill

Shav | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

I had this exact same problem, it was in my right foot only and it got quite debilitating on a long ride. I was riding with Shimano shoes with a very stiff carbon sole at the time. I changed to wider Shimano shoes but this didn't solve it.

I then tried a pair of Bont Riot+ shoes and Specialized Body Geometry insoles that give a natural arch. This solved the problem. On a very long ride I get a small twinge, but stopping and unclipping from the pedal for a short while makes it go away.

The Bont shoes have a very wide toe box and this prevents the metatarsals getting cramped together and pinching the nerves that run between them. They are also stiff and I think perform just as well as full carbon soled shoes, just a lot more comfortable.

Judge dreadful | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's a fairly common problem. One solution is to get some sport insoles, which are available from places like Boots ( the chemist ) and such places. You're also probably putting too much weight through your feet, for too long, on the ride. Every now and again shift your backside to the rear of the saddle. put your hands right into the bottom of the drops ( the flat section ) and push down with your hands, it will take the weight off of your feet. Ride like that until the discomfort stops. You'll need to pick your locations carefully though, it can be tricky to get to the brakes if needs be from that position.

Latest Comments