Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Flat road pedals?

Can anyone recommend a flat road pedal with pins that will work well with a flat MTB shoe (either a Five Ten or a Shimano GR9, depending on weather).

I ride DMR V12s on my MTB but they just look stupid/huge on a carbon road bike. 

I've also got the XT T8000 trekking pedal but that defaults to the cleat side which is fiddly when riding with flats, particularly in towns and villages

Closest I've found is Shimano's PD-GR500 but they're way too big and aggressive for road riding.

At this rate I might end up going back to SPDs but I've only ridden flats for two years so I worry I'm out of the habit.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

matthewn5 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Wellgo M142 are very light (236g / pair) and compact. I have a set on my commuter that are 10 years old and still spin beautifully. There's even a grease port. Bike-Discount had them recently when I wanted a new pair for a spare bike:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/wellgo-atb-m142-platform-pedals?currency...

//cd.bike-discount.de/media/image/d7/fc/82/Wellgo_ATB-M142-Plattformpedale_M142_b_800x800.jpg)

Npowel | 1 year ago
0 likes

Clipless is the only way to go. You could learn with SPD pedals. The SH-56 cleats on a nice set of SPD pedals with the retention dialed down are noob friendly and will unclip in a panic.

Hirsute replied to Npowel | 1 year ago
1 like

OP says that they already have XT T8000 trekking pedals.

andystow replied to Npowel | 1 year ago
1 like

Npowel wrote:

Clipless is the only way to go. You could learn with SPD pedals. The SH-56 cleats on a nice set of SPD pedals with the retention dialed down are noob friendly and will unclip in a panic.

Nobody needs clipless to go to the shops or work. I somehow manage over 6000 miles a year, including some spirited group rides, and don't own a single clipless pedal.

Maybe for that last 1% if I was racing, which I'm not.

kil0ran replied to John Stevenson | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks - that Liv Sport pedal is a badge-engineered Wellgo R146, which is what I wanted but couldn't find for sale in the UK (well, except in white or red, neither of which will matchy matchy a pale blue Giant Defy)

kil0ran replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
6 likes

Livs arrived and fitted. Proudly claiming to be pedals for a lady but as I've got size 7 feet I'm sure they'll be fine. Pins aren't of the shin-gouging variety and there's a nice concave platform which should aid comfort.

Rick's Bike | 1 year ago
1 like

If you have at least a size ten shoe... or like to move your feet around on a pedal but still want comfortable grip... I'd try a set of Rockbros. usually on eBay around $50.

I've tried so many sets of pedals and these are by far my favorite...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255464377095?hash=item3b7add0b07:g:nP8AAOSwAoVi...

ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

Wellgo do a huge range, there might be something that looks road enough to you yet still has enough grip.

Getting them might be a bit more complex though...

kil0ran replied to ktache | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks - like you say the issue is getting them. Looks like plenty of options but no UK distie as far as I can see

IanMSpencer replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Trying to remember the BIrmingham distributor who I used to buy them from, but a quick Google shows that Amazon and Wiggle have a fair selection.

Ah, Reece Cycles, Birmingham.

jaysa replied to ktache | 1 year ago
0 likes

I use Wellgo MG1s on my Tern folder - replacing the standard smooth plastic pedals that are lethal in the rain. Black MG1s are in stock at Merlin. Pins don't seem to fall out. They're solid but a bit BMX ...

Latest Comments