Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Finding comments

Just shelled out for a yearly subscription because I realised I look at this site more than any other cycling offering, also I did promise to do so as soon as a certain unlamented troll was no longer present. Excellent site and generally top quality commenters, it's a good community.

However, it'd be really great if there was a facility to go straight to one's own/other people's comments, as, for example, one can on the Guardian and many other sites. At the moment, as far as I'm aware, one can leave a comment and then if the article disappears from the main page one's reduced to searching through all content to find the article. Also it'd be useful to be able to see other people's comment history - if one clicks on a username it just comes up with a page saying "403 No bikes allowed in here". Being able more easily to track one's own comments and the responses of others would be really helpful. Any chance, eds/mods?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
6 likes

I've thought about this and I quite like the way that comments end up disappearing, like tears in rain.

However, certain articles keep rising from the dead and then I have to go and check that I didn't post something dumb a few years ago.

Sriracha replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
3 likes
Hawkinspeter wrote:

I quite like the way that comments end up disappearing, like tears in rain.

I agree. Opinions evolve, and we've all written something stupid. I'd rather read and react to the comments whilst they are current, and not have amateur Private Dicks profile one's history. I'm more interested in the current debate than having old comments dragged up.

Rendel Harris replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
1 like

Sriracha wrote:

Opinions evolve, and we've all written something stupid. I'd rather read and react to the comments whilst they are current, and not have amateur Private Dicks profile one's history. I'm more interested in the current debate than having old comments dragged up.

Bit paranoid? It would be interesting to be able to see comment histories to see whether a person is worth engaging with in debate, e.g. if you can see someone's a 100% passionate anti-helmet advocate (or vice versa) there's not much point in debating with them - not always possible to tell when someone's being ironic etc from a single post.

But even if you don't have that feature, surely it would be useful to be able to see one's own comments and go to them? One wnats to see how others have responded to one's comments, it's a pain to leave a comment one evening and then next morning the story has vanished from the main pages so one has to search the site for the story then serach the comments for the relevant section.  It'd just make life easier.

Dingaling | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'll throw in my two pen'orth to agree with you all. I've often given up trying to find a thread that I have commented on. 

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Why would you need to know how liked your posts?

I agree that finding comments is a basic requirement - would have come in handy previously eg when I have tried to find a nmotd item.

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
9 likes

Some of us like to retain professional services to "like" our posts and it's tricky to figure out if they're doing their job or not.

mdavidford replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

When should I expect to recieve payment?

hawkinspeter replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

mdavidford wrote:

When should I expect to recieve payment?

Are you my Repairer of Reputations? (I thought it was Ivan)

Anyhow, I'll leave the acorns in the usual place.

Kapelmuur replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

I enjoy being popular, if my opinions aren't liked I'll change them.

Rendel Harris replied to Kapelmuur | 3 years ago
1 like

Kapelmuur wrote:

I enjoy being popular, if my opinions aren't liked I'll change them.

Groucho Marx, "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others."

Steve K replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like
hirsute wrote:

Nosiness, mainly.

Rendel Harris replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

Didn't say I wanted to!

jasecd | 3 years ago
1 like

I fully agree - comments and discussions are one of the main reasons I visit this site regularly. It can be a real pain to trawl through comments trying to take part in a ongoing conversation.

I think road.cc are missing a trick by not giving this element more functionality - surely more discussion equals more impressions equals more support from advertisers? 

Steve K | 3 years ago
1 like

Yep, I agree with this too. It would also be nice to be able to see who has liked comments.

Kapelmuur | 3 years ago
3 likes

Agreed, this is the only forum I belong to which doesn't notify likes or replies to a post.

Captain Badger | 3 years ago
2 likes

Guardians comments are reasonable for this. You can view your recent comments, and replies, and there's a link each one to take you to the conversation

andystow | 3 years ago
2 likes

Agreed. I sometimes resort to google searching with my username and site:road.cc .

TheBillder | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'd like this, and not just for comments, but in the forum too.

Latest Comments