Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Electric compressor or pump

Hi,

I was wondering if any one has bought a small electric (ideally mains powered) pump or compressor for their road bike.

Would like some recommendations.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

bobbypuk | 2 years ago
1 like

My track pump broke so I'm using a cheap Stanley compressor for inflating road tyries. Noisy. Overkill. Quick. Easy.

Lazy on two counts, less effort to inflate the tyres and don't need to bother with choosing a new track pump. Its a win win situation really smiley

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
1 like

Pumps and compressors have different jobs.

If you just want to inflate a tyre, a pump is all you need.

If you want to seat a tricky tubeless tyre, or use air for other purposes (e.g. drying) you probably want a compressor. You can use a compressor for routine inflation of tyres too, but it's probably overkill.  

I've never felt the need for an electric pump - using a track pump works fine for me.

I don't currently own a compressor, but think it could be handy to have one every now and then.

shufflingb | 2 years ago
0 likes

Bought a cheap, but okay Stanley branded compressor for ~ £100 back in 2015 for use with tubeless. A booster tank, high-flow valves and tyre/rim design improvements mean it now hasn't been used for years. The compressor needed an adapter to work with presta, pressure adjustment couldn't be done with any finese, it was heavy, took up a lot of storage space and it was anti-social, don't use it at night if you have neighbours, noisy while it took the three or four minutes to charge up its tank to working pressure before it could be used.

Overall, in terms of a compressor I'd really recommend avoiding it for home use as it's a pita. Far better option would be Fumpa or similiar.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

I had a mains compressor and although I could restrict delivery pressure and had bike appropriate trigger and pressure gauge, I had a lot of problems with tyres popping when targetting 100psi. I never diagnosed what tyre pressure it was actually delivering when they popped (obviously?!), but when I checked other tyres I seemed to have the right pressure. I suspect some were that rapid inflation unseated the tyre from the rim - when you pump by hand you can spot when you have an improperly seated tyre, but a compressor often will be too quick.

I think I may have damaged my hearing.

I gave up on road bikes. I have a Leyzene pump which is excellent and little effort to use and I've even managed to inflate Conti tubeless from scratch with it.

Not worth the expense in my experience (doing full time bike repairs).

Oberon | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm quite happy with an Einhell Pressito, but not sure about availability (I'm in Germany). Mains powered, with the option to run it off a battery. A bit noisy and I'm sure the pressure gauge is not highly accurate, but good enough. I didn't buy it for bike tires and still mainly use a track pump. Convenient though when taking care of several bikes at a time, like before a family outing.

snake007uk@gmail.com replied to Oberon | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I'll check it out

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes
snake007uk@gmail.com replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I saw these, was in two minds about them

Grahamd | 3 years ago
1 like

I have an air compressor which I use for various DIY jobs. Way over the top for bike tyres where traditional track pump is the preferred option every time.

snake007uk@gmail.com replied to Grahamd | 3 years ago
0 likes

Agree a track pump would be fine, but I've been doing a few bike repairs and just thought would be easier to have a compressor or electric pump

Latest Comments