Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dura Ace crank blow-out - how rare?

My Dura Ace 9000 drive side crank blew up last week. See replies for the photo. I was on a 190km ride (https://strava.app.link/L7GZQlz556) and the drive side was making an increasingly nasty groan when out the saddle. I figured it was BB or pedal bearing, but right at the end of the ride the drive crank went as floppy as pasta. I managed to nurse it home, but was very surprised to see this. Nasty.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

fenix | 3 years ago
0 likes

Can't see the pics but I have seen a few examples of it happening to Ultegra.  I guess there's more Ultegra out there though ?

JWL replied to fenix | 3 years ago
0 likes

I attach a picture of the offending crank. 

sparrowlegs | 3 years ago
1 like

Have a look at @thanksshimano on IG. Loads of failures. Some look downright life threatening if you're on a descent. 

HiFi replied to sparrowlegs | 3 years ago
1 like

You get what you pay for, and painted aluminium is a technology from the 20th century. In this century bike tech is more expensive carbon fibre - frames, wheels, and in the case of Campagnolo, carbon groupsets.

Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

Not at all uncommon

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143022

something amiss about they way they glue the two halves of the crank arm together

HiFi | 3 years ago
2 likes

Thin aluminium alloy walls just don't have the strength; that's why bike tech has moved on from thin walled alloy frames and wheels to stiffer, stronger carbon. Similarly Campagnolo moved to carbon for its groupsets.

kevvjj | 3 years ago
0 likes

where's the pic?  blew up as in an explosion?

Freddy56 | 3 years ago
1 like

NOT rare at all, but asking shimano is a lost cause outside the 1 year warranty- they hollow crank design is a failure, my 14 month old ultegra. Few  groups on instagram were collecting pictures of cranks

Sriracha replied to Freddy56 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Warranty is the burden of the retailer, and 12 months is not the limit. Pursue your statutory rights against the retailer.

Pilot Pete replied to Freddy56 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Dura Ace comes with a two year warranty.

jacknorell replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
1 like

No. Dura Ace (and XTR) has a three year warranty and other ranges two years.

As an aside the picture of the broken crank doesn't match the typical failure mode of this crank construction so Shimano would probably want to have a look at it.

Latest Comments