Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"Don't drive so close to me!"

I am a bit fed up with the number of close passes I get while riding around locally, so I wrote to my local online newspaper to tell them about my campaign. In January I am having an A3 size notice on the back of my bike:
"Don't drive so close to me!
5 feet please!
Highway code Rule 163"
The comments on the article & FaceBook page hit all the usual Cycling Bingo points, with "Road Tax" being extremely common!
https://westleedsdispatch.com/dont-drive-so-close-to-me-pudsey-man-launc...
https://www.facebook.com/westleedsdispatch/posts/pfbid02Y9WN2Ww1ZSBCsahs...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Hirsute | 4 months ago
2 likes

I see the resident moron spammed the westleedsdispatch.

If you are reading adam sutton then you should take a look

"Yes there are fools in cars but not anywhere near the % on bikes that’s 99.9%"

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 4 months ago
4 likes

Hirsute wrote:

I see the resident moron spammed the westleedsdispatch.

If you are reading adam sutton then you should take a look

"Yes there are fools in cars but not anywhere near the % on bikes that’s 99.9%"

It doesn't matter what percentage of bike riders are fools as they're not killing and maiming people (apart from the very few exceptions), but the fools in cars are destroying lives.

David9694 | 4 months ago
2 likes

Also available:

"My other bike's a Pinarello" 

"Back off, I hardly know you"

"Powered by fairy dust"

Rendel Harris replied to David9694 | 4 months ago
2 likes

I've always thought there would be a market for a jersey with the slogan, "For Health and Safety (mine) reasons, your driving may be recorded."

mark1a replied to David9694 | 4 months ago
3 likes

If we're doing car bumper stickers...

Fitzsy | 4 months ago
4 likes

I bought a fluorescent jersey from Pedalpower.co.za with the logo "Stay wider of the rider. It's very good and raises comments when I'm not on my bike. I also have a camera and live on the border of 3 different police forces - having submitted close passes to all of them I'd say Thames Valley actually take submissions seriously.

Rendel Harris | 4 months ago
3 likes

Good luck! I have very definitely found that my PassPixi (no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer) sign has a positive effect on making motorists pass wider, the difference between when I wear it and when I don't is quite appreciable. The only thing I'd say to watch out for is that every once in a while some cockwomble will take a warning sign as a challenge to get as close as possible...

hawkinspeter | 4 months ago
4 likes

Good luck with your campaign.

Have you thought about using a camera so you can report close passers to the police for careless driving?

wtjs replied to hawkinspeter | 4 months ago
4 likes

Have you thought about using a camera so you can report close passers to the police for careless driving?

Without a camera, the campaign is doomed from the start. With a camera, it's probably still doomed, depending on the attitude of the police. You would have some hope, according to information on here, in the Sheffield NW area or Northamptonshire. You would have no hope whatsoever here, or in Scotland.

chrisonabike | 4 months ago
2 likes

I recommend a theme tune - how about a slightly reworded version of the Police's hit e.g. "Don't Drive So Close To Me"?

brooksby | 4 months ago
2 likes

You'lkl have to report back in six months and let us know if it's made any difference.

(Going by the comments BTL on the West Leeds Dispatch article, I wouldn't be holding my breath...).

Latest Comments