Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Di2 climbing shifter without brake levers

Does anyone know if I can plug Shimano climbing shifters straight into the junction box on my stem and run them without using the brake lever/shifter units?  I have taken my Di2 off because I really couldnt get on with the levers (put my mechanical SRAM back on) so I have a R8050 system either for sale (about 2000 summer miles, not used through the winter if anyone is interested in it drop me an email stephen.bulpitt [at] yahoo.com) or to be hacked to use with climbing shifters on flat bars for my runaround bike. So, does anyone know if I can run front, rear mechs, internal battery and climbing shifters as a setup?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both (Kil0ran and fukawritribr), I will get on eBay and pick up some climbing shifters and put my levers on there. By the way, where did your user names come from?

kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yep, that should work. Its effectively the same as sprint shifters on the TT version of Di2

Shifters are pretty dumb in the whole system, they just provide an up/down signal. I used 6770 shifters with 6870 Ultegra Di2 for a while, even though 6780 was nominally a 10 speed group. The clever stuff is in the battery, mechs, and front junction. 

fukawitribe | 3 years ago
0 likes

As far as I know, yep climbing and satellite shifters should work fine - just plug them in and make sure that they're recognised in the e-tube app and setup for whatever function you want them. Sprint shifters may be a different story but that shouldn't effect you, e.g.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153633

Latest Comments