Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

cyclist jailed for two years for hit-and-run killing of pedestrian

So a cyclist (Ermir Loka) has been found guilty of causing bodily harm by wanton/furious driving, resulting in a pedestrian death (Peter McCombie) and has been jailed for two years. Loka went through a red light when he struck McCombie.

Obviously I'm perfectly OK with Loka being punished here. But compare and contrast with all the suspected sentences given to speeding drivers who kill pedestrians going through red lights (e.g. here or here). Why does killing a pedestrian whilst on a bike attract a far higher penalty than killing a pedestrian whilst driving a car? 

I just know this will be all over the news, and that deeply misguided Mr Briggs will be rolled out for interviews.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

HWC5982168169 | 2 years ago
0 likes

The maximum sentence for death by dangerous driving is currently 14 years.

I don't see how your complaint that his maximum sentence of two years stands to any kind of sane scrutiny.

As for your link to two individual cases to try and back-up that point:

a) every single court case is decided on every single unique set of circumstances, and

b) typically, death by dangerous driving leads to a custodial conviction of seven years and very rarely less than 5.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/FINAL-Death-by-d...

But cyclists always have to be right, don't they?

EddyBerckx replied to HWC5982168169 | 2 years ago
5 likes

HWC5982168169 wrote:

b) typically, death by dangerous driving leads to a custodial conviction of seven years and very rarely less than 5.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/FINAL-Death-by-d...

But cyclists always have to be right, don't they?

The problem is that 99% (it seems) of deaths caused by motorists get downgraded to 'careless driving', which has a far, far lesser penalty. In fact even if the police do charge someone with dangerous driving (which they dont do that often due to the difficulty of getting a conviction) then almost always it ends up being downgraded to careless driving by the killers solicitors if they think they will lose - the courts accept this as it saves time and a lot of money. The juries are heavily biased towards drivers in these cases also unless there are other charges e.g. they were drunk/on drugs/etc.

As a result the cyclist in question, while getting a proper sentence, was given a far, far harsher punishment than 99% of killer drivers...and thats where the anger comes from.

And the amount of cut and dry cases of cyclists being killed or seriously injured by obviously dangerous driving that don't result in a prosecution...yeah, that adds to the anger too.

HWC5982168169 replied to EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
1 like

Forgive what seems like an aggressive statement, but I'm afraid you don't understand the law.

The police do not prosecute, they investigate, compile evidence, and supply this to the Crown Prosecution Service. If that meets the CPS threshold for the charge, then it is taken to court. The evidence is tested, if proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the defendant is found guilty (either by a judge or jury). The mitigating circumstances then have an impact on the sentence. There are instances where a reduced sentence is imposed, such as an early guilt plea which enables a faster and cheaper court hearing. Without this incentive, nobody would plea guilty and the effect on justice would be catastrophic: huge delays (Crown Court is currently running around 3 years from date of offence to trial), huge costs of trials and indeed higher cost from longer periods of incarceration. Oh, and the mental and emotional stress for victims when giving evidence is something nobody should have to go through.

The defence do not bargain or downgrade a crime - whatever it is - from a high level to a lesser one. We do not have the US "plea bargain" system to accelerate the legal process - thankfully, as a huge number of Americans have to take a guilty plea as they cannot afford a defence lawyer, and a plea bargain is the only way they can avoid very, very long jail terms.

The idea that "99% of drivers get away with something lesser" is a proposterous suggestion: every case is taken on the circumstances of that unique case. If a driver killed someone while drunk or on drugs, then that separate offence of DUI is also brought to court and tried on its merits; it does not make another offence more serious.

Juries are not used in every case. They are not biased one way or the other. They are directed by the judge about points of law and advised to make a decision based on the evidence, usually focussing on what he has summed up.

May I politely recommend you stop reading The Daily Mail.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to HWC5982168169 | 2 years ago
2 likes

Wow, someone has swallowed a law book. 

Driving is something most adults do. (75% of Adults). According to DFT figures. 53% of drivers drove above 30mph speed limits in 2019 alone with some higher figures released during lockdown when the roads were "quieter".
So, when so many drivers make up juries, and they are presented with the evidence that Jo bloggs was doing 40mph in a 30, and the "sun was in his eyes" so he didn't see the cyclist ahead or the kid crossing, they don't think "wow, I was driving into court and might have driven 40 in a 30, and I know what happens when the sun sometimes is in the wrong place. I didn't think I was driving dangerously though as I'm a good driver and don't want to admit what I didn was dangerous. So not guilty on dangerous driving". 

Very few other crimes have that stigma of "it could have been me in the dock on another day". So I do believe there is sometimes a bias when the "crime" is based on something that pretty much everyone in the court could be guilty of sometimes on a minor level. 

And yes, we don;t have a plea bargain system like in America, but the CPS does charge lots of cases with higher and lower options, it is up the Judge to accept the plea of Not Guilty on the higher one and Guilty on the other one. (not just driving incidents as Manslaughter and Murder charges are another version). And as Eddy rightly points out, lots of drivers are urged to plead guilty for the lesser by defence lawyers as they also know the courts are backed up so will probably accept an easy conviction. And the CPS, Judges will as they know it is slim to get Dangerous Driving convictions, although, on a rare case of agreeing with Nige, red light deaths is one of the few that does get Guilty verdicts from Juries. 

quiff replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
2 likes

Exactly - we're not suggesting juries are overtly biased or corrupt, but they have a degree of unconscious bias because most will be drivers themselves - "there, but for the grace of god, go I". For that reason, many defendants will (when possible) elect for jury trial. And the CPS has to factor this in when deciding the charge - do we have reasonable propects of securing a dangerous conviction, or shall we go for careless?   

EddyBerckx replied to HWC5982168169 | 2 years ago
0 likes

HWC5982168169 wrote:

Forgive what seems like an aggressive statement, but I'm afraid you don't understand the law.

The police do not prosecute, they investigate, compile evidence, and supply this to the Crown Prosecution Service. If that meets the CPS threshold for the charge, then it is taken to court. The evidence is tested, if proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the defendant is found guilty (either by a judge or jury). The mitigating circumstances then have an impact on the sentence. There are instances where a reduced sentence is imposed, such as an early guilt plea which enables a faster and cheaper court hearing. Without this incentive, nobody would plea guilty and the effect on justice would be catastrophic: huge delays (Crown Court is currently running around 3 years from date of offence to trial), huge costs of trials and indeed higher cost from longer periods of incarceration. Oh, and the mental and emotional stress for victims when giving evidence is something nobody should have to go through.

The defence do not bargain or downgrade a crime - whatever it is - from a high level to a lesser one. We do not have the US "plea bargain" system to accelerate the legal process - thankfully, as a huge number of Americans have to take a guilty plea as they cannot afford a defence lawyer, and a plea bargain is the only way they can avoid very, very long jail terms.

The idea that "99% of drivers get away with something lesser" is a proposterous suggestion: every case is taken on the circumstances of that unique case. If a driver killed someone while drunk or on drugs, then that separate offence of DUI is also brought to court and tried on its merits; it does not make another offence more serious.

Juries are not used in every case. They are not biased one way or the other. They are directed by the judge about points of law and advised to make a decision based on the evidence, usually focussing on what he has summed up.

May I politely recommend you stop reading The Daily Mail.

Thanks for the detailled reply. It's good to know that the system isn't as bad as I believe but...there seems to be a constant stream of cases on here and elsewhere that simply don't fit with your explanation above - and technically, there shouldn't really be any.

Awavey replied to HWC5982168169 | 2 years ago
2 likes

But the UKs sentencing guidelines are very clear that in death by careless or dangerous driving cases, driving whilst impaired by consumption of drugs and alcohol (DUI to use your term) is an aggravating factor that is taken into consideration and impacts the level of seriousness of the charge, which absolutely changes the starting point and range of custody options available.

But go tell the family of Sze-Ming Cheung that drunk driving charges are brought to court separately when cyclists are killed on the road by a drunk driver.

Go tell the family of Denisa Perinova that juries arent biased towards motorists when they acquit a driver who was driving on the wrong side of the road and killed her in a collision.

Hirsute replied to Awavey | 2 years ago
1 like

Or John Drury's family

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/romney-marsh/news/driver-avoids-jail-after-...

45 seconds on the wrong side of the road - not jailed and only 'careless'

Beatnik69 | 2 years ago
4 likes

Man bites dog. It's because it happens so rarely that it attracts attention.

Latest Comments