Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

cycling wars in The Daily Telegraph

Apparently there's a cycling war going on in the UK. I suppose it exists in the minds of right wing bigots who aren't allowed to be racist or sexist or homophobic (in public at least) any more so they want another group to hate, and cyclists fit the bill as they assume they're mostly lefties anyway.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/cycling-wars-taking-countryside/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
4 likes

It isn't a war, it's people going out for a cycle ride. Which is a perfectly legal and normal thing to do.

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
3 likes

War?  Isn't this just a new front in the long-running war on the motorist?

I only wish this was like the war on (some) drugs.  To paraphrase Bill Hicks "the government is losing a war - to people who don't even know they're fighting".

OldRidgeback replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
3 likes

War, what is it good for?

andystow replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

Hopefully soon.

Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
4 likes

It's behind a paywall, so I am not getting involved in that.  Hopefully there is a thread on twitter where I can contribute my feelings about this typical lazy journalism.

David9694 replied to Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
2 likes

FWIW, I was able to read it. My bingo card is full. 

It's hard to select an overall winner in a crowded field, so here's my pick: from Anonymous of Northumberland  “We have no choice but to drive as public transport does not exist. On at least a dozen occasions a week over the summer, I will come around a blind corner and it’s just as well that I go slowly because there will be a wall of them pedalling as fast as they can.” 

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

One day I hope to prove Anonymous of Northumberland (who has my sympathy about public transport - esp. in the country) right:

chrisonabike replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
3 likes

Until then we'll just have to be more visible.

David9694 replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
0 likes

There's no chance "Anonymous's" driving habit killed off his public transport?

I wouldn't run a "two sides" piece if the author clearly showed zero insight into one of the sides, had done zilch to gain their perspective. Still, it's nice to hear that Anon drives to the conditions - not sure what his point is, really.

Latest Comments