Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling to the South of France

As masters racing seems to be up in the air this year I've given myself a plan of cycling down from London to near Carcassonne in August..I'll meet the family here and we'll get back together by train. I'm planning to stay in hotels, not camp. I haven't  really got a clue on how to plan it and wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to work out a route.  I'll be taking a road bike with minimal luggage. 

Any thoughts about routes/tips/realistic distance a day gratefully received

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

snappyandrew | 2 years ago
0 likes

BUMP

Made the decison that this trip is back on. Current plan is to leave from St Malo and then get to Toulouse by the 13th. The route is here. 

https://www.komoot.com/tour/417797261?share_token=a1vA6MalucV5XXHDil2yjc...

If anyone has any recommendations about the route, I'd love to hear your thoughts

Cycloid | 3 years ago
3 likes

I'll add my ten pence worth to the excellent  advice already given, I always like to have the last word.

I have done this ride twice in the opposite direction, and it is not a bigdeal. How you do it depends on your riding style, sense of adventure, and the size of your wallet.

I took a carradice saddle bag along with with a tent and a sleeping bag, and the minimum of spare clothing. If you are into masters racing 100+ miles per day should be quite possible. Mobile phone for absolute emergencies and to send a text home every day. Maps torn out of an old road atlas, one spare inner tube, and tool kit. Credit Cards.

Of course your bike should be in good nick (isn't it always?) with new tryes. Don't get hung up about carrying loads of spares. Nothing went wrong in the last 1000 miles, why should anything go wrong in the next 1000? There are bike shops in France.

Get on the bike early each morning, ride for a few miles and stop for breakfast in a cafe, stop again mid morning if you fancy a coffee, raid a supermarket for lunch, loads of time if you want to look around a village. About 16:00 hrs I start looking out for a campsite and try to pick up some food. If there are no campsites, sleep in a field.

Job Done!

TomDW replied to Cycloid | 3 years ago
2 likes

I did a similar ride from London-Newhaven-Dieppe-Limoges to visit friends.

Bikemap.net/ route plotter was very good. I just added in about 8 places I knew I wanted to pass through and it took me on the queitest roads possible; symptomatic of France really, all the traffic is on the main roads. I had a saddle pack and bar bag and glided over the countryside. You really don't need much if you're not camping. In August it could be boiling, that would be my main concern. If you're in a heat wave it could be unpleasant doing 100miles a day.

snappyandrew | 3 years ago
2 likes

This is all great information. Thanks everyone. 

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
2 likes

I was planning something similar for last year (across Scandinavia, and cancelled, obviously) and through my own experience and chatting with an audaxer friend of a friend when reseraching it, my general advice for long trips/tours would be:

1. have a phone with you at all times, and make sure it is charged and has service. That's your lifeline. You may well be going through some isolated places, and if you get an unfixable mechanical or have an accident 50km from anywhere (especially in 40 degree heat), you're potentially in bother.

2. I'd have a good bike computer (like a Wahoo or similar) with a carefully chosen route. Charge it every evening.

- for 1&2, remember plug adaptors!

3. The idea of travelling very light is appealing, but you will need spares (tubes etc) and supplies, or you're taking a risk. Consider panniers.

4. Make sure your bike fit is dialled in: what is a bit uncomfortable over here after a couple of hours will be bloody murder by hour 6 of day 5. Make equipment choices based on comfort and reliability.

5. Get your bike properly checked over by a professional mechanic before you leave, and if in any doubt, replace worn consumables. You do not want to develop a serious problem in the middle of le nowwheresville.

6. Carry enough cash for incidentals. In my experience (though things may have changed these days), not everywhere takes cards in rural France.

All the doom aside  1 I'm envious. I love the south of France, and went to Carcassonne on honeymoon. I'll end with the note that I am now divorced, but in all seriousness, it sounds an epic trip.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 3 years ago
5 likes

I used to live about 25 miles east of Carcassonne. My observation is that there are D roads and then there are D roads.

Some D roads are country lanes - single carriageway, no centre line. (EDIT - corrected link)

Some D roads are wider, with centre line

Some D roads are modern fast traffic dual carriageway.

Some of the wider D roads are actually major local traffic routes widely used by HGV transports e.g. the D612 between Castres and Mazamet. Google Street View can give you an idea of the traffic but its time consuming and not perfect.

Regarding accommodation, the Freewheeling France web site has a searchable list of bike-friendly accommodation.

Other tips:

Rural France is very empty. Some villages may have no shops at all, and of those that do, they will likely be closed from midday to mid afternoon. Do not expect to find anything open on a Sunday. My local supermarket closed for Sunday afternoons. Petrol stations are your best bet for being able to get water and snacks. English is not widely spoken if you wander away from the major tourism areas.

If cycling in the summer, it will be hot. We got up to 42C several times over the last 7 years or so, so heatstroke is a real risk in those conditions. Wear sunscreen. Many villages have "Eau non potable" supplies like this one or fountains (which should be dry during heatwaves but....) and I would use these to douse myself from head to toe and then set off again to get some windchill from the evaporation. Such supplies seem to be more common around churches and cemeteries. Some of the local riders would fill their water bottles from them but I figured I hadn't developed the immunity from childhood that they had acquired so I steered clear. Some more advice is available here.

It can also be windy, particularly as you approach the south and get into the wind funnel produced between the Pyrenees and the Montagne Noire. Steady 30kmh winds are not uncommon, mostly moving West to East, but frequently East to West too. Be ready for a long slog of a day if it goes against you!

Looking forward to the write-up. Good luck!

Shades | 3 years ago
2 likes

There's a book called France en Velo which does a route from St Malo to Nice.  I spend 2 weeks in France in the summer and if you avoid A roads everything else is a total pleasure.  Don't discount even the most basic roads as often the road surface is way better than a UK A road.  Cycle paths (Eurovelo routes) are good as well.

HoarseMann replied to Shades | 3 years ago
1 like

+1 for Eurovelo routes, generally very well signed and surfaced in France.

I've noticed a lot of organised cycle tours use the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry crossing. I think there is a signed cycle route from there to Paris, where you could possibly pick up a Eurovelo route to get you a bit further south.

Dnnnnnn replied to HoarseMann | 3 years ago
1 like

You might mean the Avenue Verte to Paris - there's plenty info on that.

HoarseMann replied to Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
1 like

That's the one. I didn't realise it's got a stretch from London too. With that and a bit of the EV Pilgrims route, you can get from London to the middle of France.

edit: The French bit of the AV route would be ok on a road bike - the English bit, no so much...

SwbDevon | 3 years ago
4 likes

Sorry, a 4th suggestion. Take 2 sets of cycle clothes. As soon as you stop for the evening, wash that day's set by hand and hang up in your room. By morning the clothes will be mildly moist rather than bone dry. Put it in a plastic bag at the top of one pannier and if you need to stop for more than a minute or two, eg lunch break, hang the clothes over your bike. They'll be dry by the time you get to your next place. Plus it acts as a theft deterrent - I certainly wouldn't steal a bike covered in someone else's skanky cycling gear.

SwbDevon | 3 years ago
6 likes

I did this a few years ago. Three recommendations-

a) Even if you can fit all your luggage in panniers, still get a handlebar bag with a KlickFix attachment then keep everything valuable in that. It takes a second to detach it and carry it with you into shops etc. Also ensure the bag has a plastic map wallet on top, for the following reason.

b) Get a small map of France and draw a straight line on it from your start point to finishing destination. Then get a series of much more detailed maps (Landranger are best) and work out the route closest to that line, not using busy roads. If you're not sure how busy one is, look at it in Google Streetview. Then get a few cards - I only needed 6 to go from St Malo to Marseilles - and write on them the major towns and villages on your route plus the road numbers in between. Then every time you get to a junction, roundabout, fork or crossroads, instead of fannying around with a map you just need to glance down at the card you're currently on, in the map pocket of your handlebar bag, and you'll see that you need to look for the N1234 to Baguette-sur-Loire.

c) For accommodation, aim for a town or village that has a railway station. It will almost certainly have a Hotel du Gare and hence a clean, inexpensive room with a shower, plus a restaurant offering a modest 3-course meal for ten or twelve quid. After cycling for the whole day you don't want to be wandering around the locale looking for a restaurant; and Hotels du Gare are used to single diners. 

One of the best rides I ever did. The sense of utter freedom is extraordinary. Bon chance!

Dnnnnnn replied to SwbDevon | 3 years ago
1 like

I also recommend Baguette-sur-Loire.

Daveyraveygravey | 3 years ago
0 likes

On the accomodation front, I would be using airbnb.  We drive through Europe to get to Pescara in Italy every summer (no pandemics, obsv) and have found some brilliant quirky bargain places.  They're much more personal than hotels and we have found them easy to use and to book late in the day.

Sounds a great trip, write it up and post it back on here!

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
1 like
efail | 3 years ago
3 likes

I've cycled quite a few miles in France, many of them before I found out that all French cemeteries have a tap, and almost every village has a cemetery. So, if you are stuck for a drink... There's garages where you can stock up. We also wait until mid afternoon before booking a hotel/b&b. Never failed us. We've even had a someone offer to come and pick us up when it ws getting dark. Things sometimes go wrong but I have always found the locals very helpful. Love cycling in France

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
2 likes

Damn, I've just wasted an hour looking at maps and I'm not even going! France is big - but It's a straight choice between the flat but potentially windy coastal route and the arduous but beautiful Massif through heading for Albi and Castres.  

I'd take an overnight ferry to a Normandy port, or even Brittany - but you can take your bike on Eurotunnel (and cycle along the Normany coast, which is as beautiful and dramatic as our own Seven Sisters, but the French don't shout about it). 

Also, D roads are pretty straight in France, so if you find yourself with a headwind it might be with you all day. And sometimes for days on end.  Not suggesting that you time your ride to go with the wind, but it can be energy sapping - even on the Charente flats.

I suspect that the Canal du Midi paths will be very busy in the Summer - unless you get up very early.  It's a while since I've ridden it and I did it in early Spring, but it wasn't really suited to road bikes either (or touring bikes in my case). 

Kindle books that'll give you some perspective on your ride.  Jonathan Sumption's 100 Years War....so you can track the Bastides?  Or the Albigensian Crusade...

You can be pretty imaginative with the places you stay. I'd avoid the cheap hotel stops and plan ahead with a copy of Sawdays.  My wife and I stayed on our own in the Chateau de Crazannes....not even a night porter....amazing https://www.jpmoser.com/chateaucrazannes.html 

snappyandrew replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Chris 

snappyandrew | 3 years ago
0 likes

All of this is top advice, thanks. 

Would love to hear any more pearls of wisdom 

Sriracha replied to snappyandrew | 3 years ago
1 like

It can get bloody hot in the south! Take the largest capacity water bottles you can. Don't bother with insulated ones, they still warm up anyway and only hold less water. And a small water spritzer can be a godsend.

A handlebar bag that clips on/off using the Klickfix system is great for stuff you want to keep at hand on and off the bike; camera, phone, wallet, spritzer etc. You won't want anything in your pockets, it'd just get destroyed by sweat.

An all-day sunscreen saves hassle. I've used Riemann P20 factor 30/50. Not pleasant and it will tinge white clothes greenish, but it goes on once a day and I never burned. Just never apply above the eyes - hours later it will find its way in and sting like hell! Also Calypso seems to work. But mostly I wear loose and airy long sleeved sunshirt with a fold up collar.

Useful stuff here:
https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/

don simon fbpe replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
2 likes

If you can, put the water bottles into a freezer the night before.

David9694 replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
2 likes

Remembering that frozen water has a greater volume than liquid form, so don't end up with splits.

CXR94Di2 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ive cycled a bit in France.  One bit of advice stay off the main A roads, these are used alot by truckers and locals.  They wont go on the private motorways. 

Now the good bit, France being so big you can cycle almost exclusively on country lanes and not see hardly a car all day.  I stayed in guest houses on my cycling which were out of towns.

Take plenty of time , dont do mega miles per day-enjoy the scenery, smooth roads and cafe stops.  Remember France has a long 2 hour dead time after lunch, similar to Spain and Monday lots of places close all afternoon

Steve K | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure there will be others on here with far more experience and useful advice than me, but for what it's worth, some thoughts from me based on my own planning of multi-day trips (all in this country, though).

How far in a day is really down to whether you want to push things or dawdle a bit - and how much time you've got to make the journey. But I'd say maybe 150km a day?

My journey planning method (as I say, for in England and Wales) was to use Google maps to show me a route for the whole journey; then work from that roughly where I'd want to stay each night; then find accommodation for each night (I wanted to know where I was staying, rather than have to find somewhere at the end of a long day in the saddle); and then use a dedicated cycle route planner to plan each day's journey (I used Strava).

I hope that's some help, though as I say I'm sure others on here will have better advice.

Oh, and good luck. Sounds like a great trip.

andystow replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
1 like

Steve K wrote:

But I'd say maybe 150km a day?

It's doable, but very few cycle tourists do so much distance day after day. More like 100-125 km.

Also, why is it okay to say mileage, but not kilometreage?

Anyhow, there are several good tools with various levels of useablility.

https://www.komoot.com/plan/@51.4608524,-0.1153564,10z?sport=touringbicycle

https://cycle.travel/map     (a nice feature of this one is that once you have a route, you can click on a point along it then click to see Google Street View.)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/new

When in doubt, I use Strava's global heatmap to see how much other cyclists, usually locals, are riding on a road.

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#9.29/-0.17634/51.35051/blue/ride

RoadieRoadie replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
2 likes

I rode from North to South of France a few years ago with a seatpost bag & a handlebar bag on a PX pro carbon. I just took a credit card, 2 Lycra's, flip flops, toothbrush, rain jacket & spare jersey, which made for fairly fast riding as not too heavy / draggy. Most cities in France have excellent Formule 1 or B n B hotels usually located in industrial / shopping zones on the outskirts & should cost around £30 pn with continental all you can eat brekkie for another five or six euros, you. Both have good websites with maps for planning I washed out my clothes each night & also found okish restaurants to be around the corner. 'Buffalo Grill' as I recall. Think I averaged around 130 / 150kms per day & took 8 days in total. The French love of all things cycling will be noticeable & doubtless you'll get a couple of toots of support along the way. Remember it gets very very warm in the south in August 35-40 + degrees which could knock on to your ride plans. It's also very hilly in centre / south - Massif Central etc so carefully consider your route in view of heat. Carcassonne is a beaut of a place to end up in & lies near to the southern end of the canal du midi. So a possible route would be down west coast (cooler) through Brittany, Poitou Charente / Dordogne régions where you can pick up the canal du Garonne / MIDI for a hundred or so kms? There are tonnes of other routes of course & a question of what floats your boat. Most roads are brilliantly surfaced & make you realise how bad ours really are - you can usually find a workaround cycle friendly route & fairly direct road links from OS type maps, avoid the 'D' Departmental routes as these are the free (non autoroute) but busy & fast traffic routes.  It's a great plan & wonderful country to ride a bike in & wish you the best of luck. 

iandusud replied to RoadieRoadie | 3 years ago
3 likes

Good advice except the bit about avoiding D (Départental) roads, which are the equivalent of UK B roads. The ones to avoid are the RN (Routes Nationales) which are the equivalent of UK A roads. 

Latest Comments