Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling and Fasting (5/2 & 16/8)

Missus Squirrel has been recommended by her GP to try a fasting plan and Mr Squirrel wants to show solidarity and lose a couple of Xmas KG.

So I'm fairly used to riding fasted (or at least I was last year) by riding before brekkie.

What I've not tried before is combining fasting & cycling.  Since I burn 4-600 calories in an hours ride it seems iffy to ride on a low caloury day.

*5/2 is eat 5 days normally, eat max ~500 cals on 2 days.

*16/8 is eat realatively normally but only in an eight hour window.

Both have shown some reasonable evidence that they work and can have a lot of benefits.  Including this for info - dont want to turn this into a debate on diets.

So anyone ridden on a 5/2 or a 16/8 fasting plan? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Eton Rifle | 1 year ago
1 like

Over the last couple of years I've lost almost 15kg, most of it fat, using time-restricted eating and cutting my carb consumption. It really didn't affect my cycling at all.

In January I signed up to a training programme with a cycling coach. Inevitably, the nutrition advice was to dramatically up the carbs on training days. As a result, I gained 1.8kg in a few days plus the usual stomach problems and heart rate spikes that go with carb consumption. After four weeks of half-killing myself on the turbo, my FTP had DROPPED 10%. To be fair, the coach gave me a full refund but personally I think the benefits of carb fuelling are oversold, especially if you're a bog standard club cyclist and not in the pro peleton.

Simon E replied to Eton Rifle | 1 year ago
0 likes

Not all carbohydrates are the same.

Seems odd that intense turbo training resulted in a lower FTP but that's not necessarily solely the result of fuelling that training with more (too much?) carbs.

JMcL_Ireland | 1 year ago
2 likes

I was essentially doing a 16/8 for a couple of years before Covid and had was fairly satisfied with it. I got to probably the lightest and fittest I'd been in decades and was able to do multi-hour rides (longest I think was 5-1/2 hours/120 odd km) As others have said, endurance is fine, but my pace fell way off. I lapsed in the middle of lockdowns and have never really managed to get back to where I was - I'm failing miserably to shift the Christmas timber at the momen - though my fitness is improving

Simon E | 1 year ago
2 likes

I have been commuting 'on empty' for years now. I don't know how long your ride is but an hour or more is fine, just try to keep the intensity down if possible so that you're not using up your carb stores and making yourself more hungry.

I used to go out for longer rides with no brekkie and limited in-ride food but found I was ravenous when I got home, it didn't really work. It seems that the whole keto/fasted thing is of limited value if you're trying to train with any intensity - lots of advice around nowadays to 'carb up', to 'fuel for the work required' (i.e. before & during, e.g. Cycling Weekly).

When you eat can help promote weight loss but IMHO more important is what you eat.

Secret_squirrel replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like

Simon E wrote:

When you eat can help promote weight loss but IMHO more important is what you eat.

Leaving cycling aside for the moment.  Thats not what the latest research is saying according to the GP.   If you're eating relatively normally (and not like the bloke from Supersize Me) then WHEN has a huge impact, as does fasting during those whens.

Simon E replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

Is there anything online about this that a layperson could understand? 

Secret_squirrel replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like
Simon E replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

That's rather basic. I would like to see research or even n=1 experience that showed how much difference timing makes. [Edit: I've just seen the YT links by Owd Big 'Ead. Thank you.]

Eating "relatively normally" is very vague; one person's idea of normal is another person's filling their face. I have friends and colleagues who eat more than me - and rather more calorie-dense UPF - yet they do almost no exercise while I ride 5 or 6 days/week and I walk (briskly) further than most people.

I would suggest that calorie counting isn't necessarily the way to do it but less processed food and more minimally processed / wholefoods that support the gut microbiome are preferable. And alcohol is a nightmare, for multiple reasons.

Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
3 likes

I follow an intermittent fasting strategy on a regular basis, usually 18/6, so 2 meals a day, around 1PM and 7PM while doing all sorts of high intensity sports or work.

I still consume as many calories as I would do eating more often, I just find that a 2 meal a day strategy makes me far more able to concentrate fully during the mornings, rather than have a slump mid morning as breakfast is digested.

I've got a 7 day fast planned for the end of the month, a first for me, having done a weekend fast, once a month for the last year now.

If you want some scientific lead facts about intermittent fasting, when and how to go about it, I suggest you listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRohh0gErM&ab_channel=AndrewHuberman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R3-3HR6-u4&ab_channel=AndrewHuberman

andystow replied to Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
3 likes

A friend of mine did this over the last couple of years, along with adding resistance training. He's about 6’ (1.8 m) tall, has gone from about 280 lb to 180 lb (20 st. to 13 st./130 kg to 80 kg), and looks and feels much better. He's about 50 years old and has also eliminated several medication as a result of the changes he's made to his life.

Still trying to get him on a bike. He cycled a lot in his teens and early 20s.

Owd Big 'Ead replied to andystow | 1 year ago
1 like
andystow wrote:

A friend of mine did this over the last couple of years, along with adding resistance training. He's about 6’ (1.8 m) tall, has gone from about 280 lb to 180 lb (20 st. to 13 st./130 kg to 80 kg), and looks and feels much better. He's about 50 years old and has also eliminated several medication as a result of the changes he's made to his life.

Still trying to get him on a bike. He cycled a lot in his teens and early 20s.

Me too.
At the start of Covid I was a bulging 330lbs/23.5st!!
Now a rather svelte 210lbs/15st, but can't seem to break the 200lbs barrier, hence the 7 day fast.
Hit 14st and ill be over the moon at 6'3" and 55 years old.
A mixture of gym work and cycling alongside a bit of discipline about what you eat can work wonders.

andystow | 1 year ago
0 likes

I ride fasted regularly, and have even bike commuted (9 miles each way) during a 24+ hour fast. An hour ride, maybe two, is no problem, and if you're truly keto adapted and can limit the effort, you can do it for 6+ hours.

The only trouble I've run into was:

• Keeping up with a fast group while fasted. After about four hours I was really starting to bonk. I was riding above what I could sustain from converting fats to ketones. Stopping for a snack (mostly) fixed it.
  • If it's hot, and you're not eating, you need adequate electrolytes in your drink for a 2+ hour ride. I thought I was getting enough from drinking sports drinks, but with heavy sweating they have less than half the electrolytes needed. I should have bought the packet of crisps I was craving when we stopped at a shop.

My current strategy if riding fasted is to still carry carbs and, in hotter weather, electrolytes, and either start consuming them after 2-2½ hours if it's a high effort ride, or just keep them for as needed if riding alone or with a slower group.

Will Missus Squirrel know or care if you're eating Percy Pigs on longer rides? They're not going to your waistline if they're able to go straight into your pedals.

Spangly Shiny | 1 year ago
1 like

Tried riding on a 20/4 fasting plan: bonk city!
That's 20 hours of no calorific intake eating only between 17-21:00; I'm a courier so early to bed, early to rise.

Secret_squirrel replied to Spangly Shiny | 1 year ago
1 like

Spangly Shiny wrote:

Tried riding on a 20/4 fasting plan: bonk city!
That's 20 hours of no calorific intake eating only between 17-21:00; I'm a courier so early to bed, early to rise.

Jeez.  Thats hardcore.

Spangly Shiny replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
1 like

Nah, s'eazy when you're trying to rid yourself of Hugh Jarce.

wtjs replied to Spangly Shiny | 1 year ago
1 like

when you're trying to rid yourself of Hugh Jarce

When you're waiting for a procedure in an x-ray department, when it's your turn somebody comes to announce your name in the waiting room. The radiographers might play a trick on a colleague by leaving a spoof request to be picked up by the unsuspecting victim and taken to the waiting room to call out- the one I heard about was indeed a form bearing the printed name : Hugh Jarse

andystow replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like

wtjs wrote:

when you're trying to rid yourself of Hugh Jarce

Better than the guy I work with who ten years later is still known as "Stu", since on his first day he fell for being sent into the shop to give something to "Stu Pidaso".

Latest Comments