Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyckit Aeroclam - Ditch the seat bag...

I'm normally just a reader of formus, rather than a contributor, but I thought this was worth a mention. I've recently built up my new (to me) bike. Pandemic restrictions have given me time, but I get the satisfaction of riding a bike I have put together exactly the way I want it. This also means searching out the perfect accessories.

The one thing I’m not a huge fan of is seat packs. I just don’t like the look of them strapped to the saddle and seat post and I can never get them fitted just right.

A scour of all internet an reading of the '10 best...' reviews turned up all the usual suspects until I found a link the Cyckit Aeroclam seat pack. Seat only mounted (no seat post straps), hard shell, neat looking, but based in New Zealand (I'm in England).

Having checked out the website I dropped Cyckit a quick email for a bit more info on what might meet my requirement. First of all, customer service from Pat at Cyckit is excellent. Replies to my emails were really quick and the advice proved to be spot on. Order placed and it duly arrived about 14 days later (so no reason to be worried about delivery).

So cut to the chase, the aeroclam is just perfect. The design is excellent. Neat and well fitting, it just looks like part of the bike. Sleek, streamlined and integrated. Fitting was really easy having read the instructions, and the aeroclam was mounted in a few minutes. I’ve ridden with it a few times now, mainly along rough country lanes and gravel tracks, and there has been no movement of the pack and no rattling of the contents whatsoever. Rattling of tools etc. is one of my big bug bears, so another tick in the box for me there

I’ve used the new medium pack, which I packed with a multi-tool, two CO2 canisters and inflator, 28-35 tube, tyre levers, tubeless repair tool and some gloves. Just the right amount of space for what I usually carry. I’ve also got the small Aeroclam for when I’m travelling a bit lighter (and there is a large pack too for longer days, all fitting the same. I can honestly say that I wouldn’t use anything other than the Aeroclam for carrying my tools...

So if you're looking for something a little different, but well designed and functional, the Aeroclam may be worth a look, www.cyckit.com

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
1 like

In his defence, I am a fan of the Cyckit saddle packs and have used them for about 5 years. The original is small, which I really like and it forced me to think a little harder about what I actually need to carry. The temptation was always to carry excess.

I now carry;

1. A spare inner tube.

2. 2 x tyre levers (Cyckit supplied, which are pretty good)

3. 1x CO2 inflator plus inflator head

4. Topeak Rescue Box with several self adhesive patches, a spare chain link and valve extenders.

5. Valve core removal tool.

6. A tyre patch.

All that fits snugly in the small pack, which is unobtrusive and many people have commented "oh I just thought it was part of your saddle". To stop any rattling all I do is cut pieces of old inner tube - the tyre levers fit in one, the inflator another and the inflator head another. I also carry different valve extenders for tubes with non removable cores (so I can always use a mate's tube if necessary) and these are just attached to the spare inner tube with a couple of elastic bands that new tubes come with.

On really long solo rides I will consider carrying a mini pump, or more likely just a second and possibly third inflator, another spare tube, along with my Lezyne (forget which model) multi tool, which is small and pretty flat. These go in a old Cervo Rosso neoprene zipped phone case (about half the size of a Rapha Essentials case (shows how old it is when phones were that small!) in a back pocket of my jersey.

The beauty is just that - it looks so much better than some cordura sack dangling with Velcro straps...

Drinfinity | 3 years ago
6 likes

Do you have a brother called PHILMUTE? The style of your advert sounds strangely familiar.

Myntal262 replied to Drinfinity | 3 years ago
1 like

Stragely enough, no... And if this were an 'advert' it would be somewhat odd to do a follow up some two years later. That's hardly a sensible marketing campaign, is it..? (and yes, I clearly went back through the forum to find the post you're referring to). 

Quite simply, I was impressed with my seatpack, and thought it deserved a mention. End of...

And this is first time I have posted on the Road.cc. Disappointing to find other cyclists whose first thought is 'advert' rather than recognising a genuine review that others may find helpful...

hawkinspeter replied to Myntal262 | 3 years ago
3 likes

To be fair, there have been some forum posts which look like they're adverts, but they're usually for slightly dodgy companies. Being a first post makes it more suspicious.

I've got an Aeroclam myself (the large one) and I largely agree with what you said, though my stuff did rattle a bit until I cut out some foam inserts to prevent that. Also, I was impressed with Cyckit's speed of delivery to the UK and though I didn't require much customer service, I got the impression that they're a small, friendly company that care about their product and customers.

HarryTrauts replied to Myntal262 | 3 years ago
0 likes

To be honest, it does read like an advert and you may not be doing this company any favours.  

Simon E replied to Myntal262 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Myntal262 wrote:

Quite simply, I was impressed with my seatpack, and thought it deserved a mention. End of...

And this is first time I have posted on the Road.cc. Disappointing to find other cyclists whose first thought is 'advert' rather than recognising a genuine review that others may find helpful...

I'm afraid it looked rather like a promotional piece to me too. No need to be defensive, you can just acknowledge that is others' perception of your post.

My Blackburn Grid MTB will hold 2 tubes, a 9-piece multitool, 10/8mm flat spanner & 3 tyre levers and costs £15 from my LBS. It is compact, rattle-free and the velcro attachment means it is unobtrusive and quickly swapped from one bike to the other. How much does your thing hold?

I've tried the tiny packs from Continental and schwalbe but they are too small to hold more than a tube, levers and a few small allen keys.

hawkinspeter replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
1 like

They don't hold as much as an ordinary seatpack (which is why I got the large size). On their website they go through what each size is designed to contain - I can't be bothered to copy it out here.

My problem is that I prefer it to seatpacks, but it's not quite wide enough to fit my pump in (an iPump Twist: https://www.ipump.jp/product/ipump-twist/) and to make matters worse I've gone and bought a Wolf Tooth 8-bit Pack Pliers: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/tools/products/8-bitpack-pliers which also don't fit (brilliantly designed tool though). I'll have to stuff them in my top-tube bag instead.

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

How do you find the plier function, their standard pliers (in silver...) are on my "to get" list?

My workshop Park pliers are only for removal and I carry multiple spare master links and worry that if needed I might not be able to remove the one on the chain when REALLY needed.

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've already got a pair of their standard pliers and have used them a couple of times and they work fine for squeezing/separating quick links. The 8-bit pliers have the same ends, so they should work just the same.

What I really like about them (which was why I popped down £70 on them) was the 4mm bits and driver which are obviously smaller and lighter than the standard 6mm bits I was carrying around. However, I then bought a 4mm-6mm converter so that the 8-bit pliers can interface with my 5Nm Topeak Torque bit.

The 8-bit pliers include the tiniest metal valve core remover which actually works really well and is attached magnetically to the other side of the space for a pair of quick links.

I've now got way too many multi-tools than is decent to own.

(As an after-thought - I now have no use for the standard pliers so I can send them on to you if you're happy with some pre-used ones. Mine are black with a green pivot)

Pilot Pete replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

When would you 'need' to remove a master link when out on the trail/ road? The only time I can think of is if you get a twist in the master link itself. I would think it would be easy enough to break the link using a normal chain breaker on a small multi tool, no?

I never use one, even in the workshop for fitting a master link, I just put the link together, position it on the top loop of the chain and push down on the pedal whilst holding the rear wheel still.

PP

hawkinspeter replied to Pilot Pete | 3 years ago
0 likes

The only reason I can think of for removing a master link while on the road would be if it had broken but inserting one is more likely e.g. chain snaps at another link, remove using chain tool and insert spare master link to rejoin.

I've found it easier to use link pliers for removing and installing a chain whilst at home, but as you say, they're not essential.

Latest Comments