Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Critérium du Dauphiné

Just took my first look at the line ups (even though most still to be confirmed) and was struck by the varying quality of the teams. Jumbo going in with what looks like most of their TdF riders while DSM clearly have better things to be doing! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

39 comments

Dr Winston | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'll be glad when this race is over. Every now and again a race comes along that i just don't get even close to right... and this was the worst... rubbish.

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm doing my usual bright start then fading to mediocrity! My son, on the other hand, brought in Verona yesterday and scored an astonishing number of points! 

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 1 year ago
0 likes

Your both doing better than me.  Every move I have made hasn't worked.

In a GT you can work your way around your mistakes, in the week long races it feels harder as I feel every transfer needs to be a good one.

11waterloo replied to Sniffer | 1 year ago
0 likes

I agree. I started with a really good line up but firstly due to bad luck (McNulty mechanical in TT) and then poor decisions ( was one day late with Rolland and left Cattaneo in one day too long) I have lost any momentum and can see yet another stage race slipping through my fingers! In a GT you can re-set and go again if that happens, not in a shorter race.

Daniel Norton replied to 11waterloo | 1 year ago
0 likes

I kind of learned how to play this game from you guys (and Tony) so I expect you'll be turning it around pretty soon.

There are subtle changes to the dynamic of racing (esp in shorter stage races) and I think even the pro teams aren't adapting how they pick riders.  To bring back breaks is harder now so the protected riders need more domestiques and/or be more durable.

0 likes

Is that your son on 243 pts for stage 7? (edit) Blimey.  Cudos, whoever it was!

11waterloo replied to Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yes! We don't think it was possible to score any more points on that stage than with the team he chose - every arrow landed. I just wish I'd copied his homework! 

Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

Any score update will be slightly late tonight, I'm working this evening.

chrisdstripes | 1 year ago
0 likes

Out of interest, were yesterday's points updated after Molano's DQ? Doesn't really affect anything (unless you had Molano of course!)

11waterloo replied to chrisdstripes | 1 year ago
0 likes

Looking at the stage scores, it looks as if Molano didn't score anything in the game. He seems to have a very short fuse as he went back for more shenanigans even after the stage ended! 

chrisdstripes replied to 11waterloo | 1 year ago
1 like

He does seem to be a bit of a character...!

Condor Andy replied to chrisdstripes | 1 year ago
0 likes

I waited until he was yeeted from the results until I updated.

Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

Scores will be a wee bit late this evening, apologies.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

No problem. I'm waiting for a fall... I went thin today for a better tomorrow and beyond. I brought in Cavagna and Thomas instead of Johannessen and Bagioli... time will tell if it was a good call...won't be much in it. 

Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

Why the bloody hell didn't I put Rolland and Padun in my Purist team?  This morning, I suddenly feel convinced Padun is going to win at least one stage!

0 likes

Rolland seems such an obvious pick for the purist team but I'll bet non of us put him in! 

11waterloo | 1 year ago
0 likes

By accident rather than design (trying to avoid traffic jams on A7 French Autoroute) I ended up driving along today's finishing straight yesterday! Can't really give any insight based on my recon other than it is extremely hot. 

0 likes

Are you on a sneaky spring cycling beak on the lovely smooth French roads?  You won't want to ride your bike on the draggy English B roads if you do.

0 likes

That was the original plan, holiday with bike, doing the Grand Fondo Mont Ventoux a week today and watching the professionals do it two days later. Unfortunately fell off my bike and fractured my shoulder blade in April (the only thing I will ever have in common with Julian Alaphilippe!) So holiday still going ahead but no cycling. Given the current hot weather I'm not desperately disappointed! 

1 like

A climber?  Respect for going for Ventoux (maybe next year).  I've always been more a diesel/powerhouse with a bit of a finishing kick.  Becoming more a diesel every day.  I'm starting to think serious distances are going to be more my thing as I get older.  Hoping to do some light-touring style "ultra-endurance" challenges to get back in shape this summer.

Enjoy France. smiley

Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
2 likes

Is it me, or is this relegation system the reason for teams not sending their A list to Dauphine?  I suspect some teams have looked at the Jumbo Roster and realised that if they want to pick up points, then avoid taking that team on.  Jumbo have the favourite for EVERY stage that doesn't end in a breakaway.

Dr Winston replied to Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

Dunno... but it does occur to me that it very much encourages races within races, as in bigger breakaway's. In particular any GC rider laying at five minutes down may be more tempted to lose more time and pick up UCI pta for stage wins, or good finishes, rather than the pts for finishing (maybe) tenth on GC. It's almost set up for those who can't win, but are on the second rung for talent, to forget about anything other than top five if their team is in the relegation battle... and it's set up for the teams to prioritise that.

Dr Winston replied to Dr Winston | 1 year ago
0 likes

...and sending their better riders to second rate one day races...

Daniel Norton replied to Dr Winston | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yeah, I'm definitely torn on the relegation thing.  I like it when a lot of teams go for the breaks.  On the other hand, I'd also like to see more of the best climbers at big races like the Dauphine.

It's almost completely pointless for the likes of Barguil, Gaudu et al. to even bother going for the GC anyway, as a TT that long and flat in a race with only 2 proper climbing stages means they won't even be in the hunt.

Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

2 days to go and only 7 teams confirmed. Please team principles, who are you taking? Tell me!

Daniel Norton replied to Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

Israel and UAE have announced their teams (Velonews).  For some reason, the data isn't finding its way through.

Now that VeloNews and CyclingNews both have a paywall, maybe road.cc could attract clicks by having a more extensive pro cycling news section? Maybe even a fantasy tips (betting) section?  Somebody is going to fill the gap, but road.cc already has the advantage of an established following.

That's a project I'd love to get my teeth into.  I don't know the first thing about women's cycling, though.

Condor Andy replied to Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
1 like

I absolutely hate the paywall thing from CyclingNews, VeloNews, and CyclingTips. It's so god damn annoying. I know about women's cycling and love to write about cycling in general, but have no Journalistic qualifications. I've been hanging around on Twitter the last couple of days waiting for announcements. Missed UAE's though. I have 11 teams in the game right now, UAE will make 12.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 1 year ago
0 likes

I don't use any of those anyway. How much are they to join?

Daniel Norton replied to Dr Winston | 1 year ago
0 likes

Dunno how much.  I used to read cycling news all the time, but paying is a stretch.  Call me tight.

mdavidford replied to Condor Andy | 1 year ago
3 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

I [...] have no Journalistic qualifications. I've been hanging around on Twitter...

I think you've just contradicted yourself there. What more qualifications do you need?

Pages

Latest Comments