Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Commuting post lockdown

Maybe it's the lockdown talking, or perhaps it's because it finally seems like some money is being pumped into the UK's cycling infrastructure, but I am seriously considering commuting to work via bicycle once the lockdown is over.

I have a relatively nice and short commute (around 12 mile round trip), so it is certainly achievable, but I do have a few feelings of trepidation i.e. how will I cope with the changeable weather? How do you stay motivated to commute? Also, as I am required to take my laptop between the office and home everyday, how can this be done without damaging it?

I'm hoping some of the experienced cycling commuters on this forum can offer some insights into any pros and cons I should should aware of before making the commitment?

As an additional point, I already own a bike and some accessories, but can I still use schemes like the Cycle2Work scheme?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

gunswick | 3 years ago
0 likes

Some of the comments here make cycling sound boring!! Try an oversized saddle bag to put your tool saddle bag in, laptop in (13" and less fits in a laptop sleeve), clothes, recovery drink, lunch. Make the loop to work 10 miles each way and go fast.

Get a good bike not some crap 2nd hand old thing. You want the bike to feel nice, spend £1k minimum. Get a good saddle (this will take 20 attempts). Good mudguards. Racing tubeless tyres. Good overshoes. SPD double sized pedals and carbon spd soles for fast walk ability.

Have fun!!

kil0ran | 3 years ago
0 likes

I did this for a number of years. 6 miles is nothing and all I would prioritise would be mudguards. If your bike can take them, fit proper metal/thermoplastic full length ones. If clearances are tight look at PDW full metal fenders. Try to stay away from clip ons, they're a faff to fit and don't stay put.

It's a shame you have to carry your laptop, any possiblity of work changing that policy to enable active travel? It was one of the first things we lobbied for at my previous employer and we quickly got a concession when someone had an off and trashed a couple of grands worth of Macbook Pro. In the end they decided to supply cycle commuters with an old laptop from IT out-of-warranty stock that was sufficient for web browsing/MS Office/Email.

If you have to lug a laptop then a rolltop rucksack with a padded laptop sleeve is the way to go. Pop the laptop in a ziplock bag to be doubly sure it's waterproof. The downside of this is that you'll be proper sweaty even if you're taking it easy. Panniers/rack is a far better solution

The hardest thing you might find is getting motivated because it will be the same old route every day. If it's urban then there won't even be Strava times to chase because other factors (traffic lights, peds, traffic) will have the biggest impacts on your times. I ended up varying my start point by driving part of the way (I lived 22 miles from work). That gave me 15/10/5 mile commutes based on mood, weather, available time, etc. If that's not an option then see if you can plan some longer routes for when the mood takes you.

Planning is important. Do you have somewhere to store clothes at work? If so, packing cubes are your friend. Take a week's worth of shirts in on Monday, bring the dirty ones home each night.

Top tip - if you've got lockers store a spare pair of cycling shoes and socks at work, if you get soaked on the way in it's horrible pulling on wet shoes to ride home, particularly in the winter. If you're riding in your best road shoes toe covers are a good idea too.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
1 like

You don't have to cycle commute every day or throughout the year. I try to make the most of the 7 months of the year where the daylight hours match my working hours then accept that from November through to March I might drive, take the motorbike, or catch the train some days. Anything is better than nothing.

For a relatively short commute of 6 miles each way it should be possible to do it without having to commit to a large financial outlay at the beginning, especially at this time of the year where the weather is far more agreeable.

Personally, I take a weeks worth of clothing into the office at the weekend if I'm heading into Derby for shopping etc and then all I need to carry on the bike on a daily basis is my laptop, phone and cycling specific spares. I then use a laptop specific backpack with an extra padded sleeve to ensure my 'puter stays safe and dry.

Considering I commute far, far further than you, sometimes as much as 25 miles each way, this seems to work really well for me.

JaredP91 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for all the great advice/suggestions, I definitely feel more well informed now.

I know a few people suggested upgrades to the bike, such as changing tyres, fitting mudguards etc. My question is, would this affect the performance of my bike for weekend rides? I'm currently cycling around 30/40 miles per ride, and potentially looking to build on that in the coming months, so I wouldn't want to impact performance.

Or would it be more practical to buy a second bike through the Cycle2Work scheme and use this as a dedicated commuter?

EddyBerckx replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
1 like

Panniers and mudguards will add weight but may not be a massive issue depending on the sort of rider you are and the routes you take (the faster you like to go and the hillier routes you take the more this sort of thing will affect you. If you're a cruiser then you are less likely to notice/care about these things)

Tyres will have the biggest impact. Forget marathon plus - evil things for longer rides. Unless you have a spare wheelset then you'll need a middleweight tyre - something inbetween a race tyre and the more heavyweight options. Conti 4season and the like are your best all round option.

Try the commute for a few weeks then decide if you want to continue. If so a dedicated bike will be the way forward...and depending on your route a road bike may be overkill - a hybrid may suffice (with normal clothes maybe?)

Simon E replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
4 likes

Mudguards weigh very little and won't make you slower, they are only a problem for people who think having grit in your arse crack and a skunk stripe up your back is a badge of honour. I regularly ride 40 miles or more with mudguards as well as doing nearly 100 miles of commuting each week. They keep most of the spray and muck off me and much of my bike. That's worth a lot.

Do you really need to carry the laptop every day? A rolltop rucksack or other waterproof bag with a laptop compartment would be worthwhile.

Do you need to change the tyres for a 6 mile commute? Puncture-resistant tyres might be worthwhile if you regularly ride through glass but I'd wait and see how many punctures you get before buying.

A lightweight jacket that packs small is a key item for me. A cycling cap keeps the rain out of my eyes. But it rains less often than most people assume and anyway, you're not made of sugar, you won't dissolve.

If you are going to get a second bike then I'd recommend a cheap s/h one so that you won't be so upset if it gets dirty, bashed or (I hate to say it) stolen.

After much prevariation, I started doing 5 miles each way through town, the bike journey (on a 9 y/o MTB) was barely slower than the car. I lost weight, saved money and felt much happier. I soon started using a longer, quieter route with some traffic-free sections. Office moved out of town 12 years ago, my commutes got even longer and more beautiful. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Sriracha replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
2 likes
JaredP91 wrote:

...fitting mudguards etc. My question is, would this affect the performance of my bike for weekend rides?

No.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth-3-fenders-slow-you-down/

EddyBerckx replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've seen an article that's says the opposite 🙂

The main thing about mudguards is they need fettling to fit properly, often rattle and need maintenance.

They are a must have for the commute and winter bike...otherwise they are truly awful things. I swear by them for wet rides, I hate the noise and fettling you need to do with them (proper fixed as well as clip ons - I'd always advise however getting a bike with fixed guards for the moot, they are much better)

Awavey replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
2 likes

my rear mudguard didnt need fettling, and its not moved off the bike for nearly 5 years,the front is a bit different because someone knocked it whilst it was in the sheffield stand racks at work and bent it so it doesnt fit properly anymore, and I just kind of accept its easier to ride without it, there are definitely fix and forget mudguard options out there, and they dont slow you down.

but then I use Marathon plus tyres as well, because frankly I cba with the thought of having to deal with a puncture on my ride to/from work

EddyBerckx replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
1 like

Tbh my commute is on some awful roads/cycle paths, and mudguards will be the first thing that need adjusting after a couple weeks, less if I hit a big pothole (maybe). As with so many things, its route and rider dependant 🙂

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
1 like

A lot of good comments already, but I'll add a small one.

6 miles each way is doable in normal clothes and shoes if you drop your speed and it's not raining/really hot, and you have your laptop / spares in panniers rather than a rucksack.

Leave as much as you can in work - including spares in case you forget something or you get caught out in the rain etc.

For 6 miles each way marathon plus would be good (I'm a long distance commuter ie 40 mile round trip and hate them for that distance, but for slower speeds and smaller distances they are great) they are a nightmare to get on and off the rim though...and there may be a time when you have to fix a puncture at the side of the road...I'd say try to fit them yourself rather than getting a shop to do it, then you'll know if it's possible and you can plan what to do if you do get a puncture - walk home or find a nearby shop.

So much of this is a learning process, as long as you take the normal spares with you (tubes/multitool and so on) the best advice would just be to start and see how you get on, don't overthink it. I started off a 36 mile round trip commute on a hybrid in normal clothes (changed at work) and after much initial resistance (from me) I ended up in full lycra on a road bike. Much more practical for me, but you won't take the same journey unless you add miles to your moot

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

Definitely do it.

Starting now is ideal due to the good weather - you can cycle in whatever you find comfortable. It's up to you if you bother with lycra shorts etc. as a 6 mile journey probably won't cause any chaffing or discomfort.

As the weather gets colder, you'll need some more clothes and equipment. Layering is a good way of dealing with temperature changes. I own a couple of merino long sleeve base layers which I wear under a cycle top when the temperature goes below about 10°. A good rain-proof top can then be worn as well when the temperature gets colder (or it's a bit wet).

Waterproof gloves and shoes are essential for winter (the Northwave Arctic shoes are brilliant). I'd also recommend always carry waterproof trousers and jacket for when you suddenly get caught out by the weather changing.

As far as motivation is concerned, you should aim for it to become an ingrained habit so that you're dressed and on your bike before you've really decided on whether to cycle or not.

I think Cycle2Work covers accessories as well, but it depends on whether your workplace implements the scheme (mine doesn't).

David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

wet, dark and really cold are your three environmental enemies: I took the view that I could cope with any two of them, but not all three.
What facilities have you got at the other end - showers/changing, security? Sadly, pilfering of things like removable lights is a problem in a lot of places. 

for winter consider Scwalbe Marathon Plus, Gator skin tyres, etc 

consider a dynohub (not cheap) for winter, and Northwave boots are ace!

JaredP91 replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

I work in a small office, however, we do have a shower installed which should help with the commute, particularly in foul weather. I will also be able to lock my bike indoors, which is fantastic. Preparing for the poor weather rides will likely be my biggest challenge, but I'm hoping to pick up some decent accessories and kit on the Cycle2Work scheme.

ktache replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Now is a good time to start, the weather is mostly nice and the days are long.

As the year continues, start accumulating stuff.  Unfortunately there will be occaional days when the weather and conditions will get you, and you will wonder why you put yourself through it, but if you just think of it as experiencing the world, being part of it and the environment rather than being sealed off from it, it might make it more palateable.  Then maybe not.

As your experience and quantities of clothing and equipment increase it will become easier.

I shower first thing when I get up, part of my essential wake up, use a clean cycling top/baselayer and then put on a fresh T shirt when I get to work.  I hope it's enough for my fellow workers. I also like the huge courier bag method for carrying huge amounts of stuff.  Each to their own.  Find out what works for you.

Though i would reccomned leaving shoes and (for me) jeans at work, less to carry, and a pair of socks and pants for the rare occasion when the weather is too much.  And a spare T shirt for when you forget the one for the bag too.  

You may make a few missteps, we are all different and NO ONE gets everything right all of the time.

I love it, I have never driven and have cycle commuted for almost 35 years, my ride commute is mostly off road currently and comprises the majority of my riding, and obsession.  Enjoy.

BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 3 years ago
1 like

Upgrade your tyres, mudguards, rack, pannier, lights. Clothes wise? - you will 'learn on the job' so to speak. It's worth spending a bit extra on clothes though. Cheap cycling clothes are really uncomfortable and hot. Good shoes and clip in pedals are worth it - MTB style means you can also walk in them a little more elegantly. 

If you do go for the rucksack option I always found the Deuter brand excellent for cycling.  

And a camera. 

mdavidford | 3 years ago
2 likes

Definitely go rack and panniers - makes the experience so much nicer than a sweaty rucksack. Your laptop should be fine in a half-decent sleeve.

If you can, keep your work clothes at work, rather than lugging a full change in and out. My approach is to cycle through e.g. Fresh shirt one day, underwear the next, etc. To minimise what I'm carrying.

Investing in SPD pedals and shoes is well worth it, particularly once you're cycling on the odd wet day. That might be something you want to leave until you've tested your commitment to it though, as it requires a bit of extra cash and some practice at clipping in and out to get comfortable with it.

If you haven't already, learn how to change a tube (once you've practiced a couple of times it's easy) and carry a spare, mini pump, and levers.

Enjoy it - mix it up and explore a variety of routes if you can. 

joncomelately | 3 years ago
2 likes

Definitely do it! I've done 30-40miles a week, every week for 6 years (and the last 2 of those with a laptop). I'm very lucky as I have showers and a locker at work, but would still do it if I didn't have that access. As mentioned above:
- laptop in an ortlieb pannier, it's been fine (often with a suit)
- full length mudguards
- lots of lights (and set up a charging station wherever you store your bike at home - mine's in my garage with a 4 port USB plug to attach everything to)
- arm warmers and leg warmers help when it's chilly first but nice later
- for year round commuting I really rate winter boots; expensive (although equivalent to 3 months' parking fees at my work) but indispensable on my feet, and much less faff than overshoes

As for motivation, I focus on how much less stressed I am then when I drive in traffic, how much better I can control the time it takes to get to work, and how much healthier I am (3 young kids makes the commute almost my only form of exercise). I've never struggled to get on the bike (apart from when I really don't want to leave the family, but that's not the bike's fault).

Good luck, and enjoy it!

Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

Laptop - you can either go for a full waterproof ortlieb roll top pannier or you can buy a waterproof dry bag used for watersports or hiking.

https://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/canoe/kayak/uk/shop/productpages/cano...

You would stick this in your existing or cheap pannier.

Tommytrucker | 3 years ago
3 likes

Full length mudguards are your friend.

Richbeck | 3 years ago
2 likes

Just give it a go - I did 10 years ago and have never looked back!
Providing you have a packable waterproof, anything is possible - the only seasons I struggle with is Spring when it's cold in the morning and warmer on the way home - arm/leg/knee warmers work.

Carrying stuff has so many options- rucksack, panniers, saddle bag - lots with padded laptop sleeves! Worth leaving some clothes and toiletries at work - a lot can be achieved with a flannel!

Good set of lights - double up at the rear.
Cycle to work scheme is fab - you can buy kit like bags/lights etc in addition to a bike.

Good luck!

Latest Comments