Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain slipping off cassette. Won't drive in any gear.

Hi all,

I am still fairly new to cycling. My bike has been in the shed for a while and I've now taken it indoors to use on my turbo trainer( direct drive)
I have set the bike up on the trainer, however when I try to pedal the chain just starts slipping and come off the cassette, I have tried setting it on each of the gears the chain just kind of grinds and slips off eventually at the bottom.I can't seem to get it to actually provide any drive. This is the same if I have the bike set up as or as not on the trainer.

Any advice or suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Reddy90 | 3 years ago
1 like

Update: thanks for all your help, I have changed the cassette on the turbo trainer to one that is compatible with my chain. This issue with not being able to change gears has been solved, the internal rachet was stuck, stopping it from changing gears this is now being fixed

don simon fbpe replied to Reddy90 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I can't get my head around what has happened, but glad that it's sorted.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

Looks like a chain/cassette mismatch to me.

Reddy90 replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 3 years ago
0 likes

I belive the one on the trainer has more gears than the one on the back wheel. Will need to double check, but the same issue was happening with the back wheel but 2 of the gears did work.

Will try changing the cassettes over and see if that helps.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Reddy90 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Looking at the video I agree with Nige. You probably have a 9-10 speed bike (look for Sora or Tiagra on the levers) and an 11 speed cassette in the trainer. 

You might have damaged the chain using it on the Trainer which is why it now screws up on the wheel. 

0 likes

Different cassettes is one problem.

If you can put the cassette from the bike on then post a nice long video of the bike cassette on the trainer. That'd be nice.

OnYerBike | 3 years ago
1 like

Photos?

A worn chain will skip around and not shift smoothly, but slipping off at the bottom no matter where you start sounds like there might be derailleur issues too.

Reddy90 replied to OnYerBike | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've added a picture of the set up

If it helps here a little k to a video on Google drive showing the slipping

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLoNv02BMwznmdmN4gbYbJ6LordX1qkU/view?u...

1 like

I can't see the video as I need access or something stupid. Can you stick it on Youtube so we can all see it?

If it is slipping down the cassette, it sound like there is no cable, or no tension. This allows the derailleur to find its home over the 12t cog. <<<

You'll also need to look at setting the derailleur if it's jumping off the 12t cog. Is the derailleur and hanger straight?

I don't know much about direct drive trainers, but assume that if the cassette is set correctly, the bike just fits in without any other setting up, no? Is the cassette set correctly on the trainer?

Put the cassette back on the wheel and wheel on bike. Does the same thing happen?

Is it the right cassette fro the groupset, if different from the bike cassette?

Is the chain too long?

How old are the components? They look relatively clean/new.

Without seeing it, my money is on the cable being absent or loose.

Hirsute replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
2 likes

I saw the video so maybe they changed the permissions.

Chain is incompatible or worn is my suggestion.

don simon fbpe replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's a second choice, knackered chain and new cassette. But why is the derailleur pulling the chain off the cassette?

Hirsute replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's quite a short clip but I'm not convinced the chain engages with the sprockets and is not compatible - see the other replies from ian and nigel along the same lines.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

The video doesn't show that the deraileur pulling the chain off. It just looks like the chain is not seeting in the cassette due to being too big and just riding on the very tips of the teeth. If the bike is setup for 9's rather then 11 the very bottom ones might be close enough to cause the slip. 

Edit: Looking at the screw and cable location, definitely not an 11 speed shimano and closer to Sora. 

don simon fbpe replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's fair enough, as I said, I couldn't see the video and was going off the OP's description. Equally, those that have seen the video are in agreement that it's a chain cassette incompatibility thing. Adding that the OP has said that the trainer cassette has more gears than the bike, they have identified the first problem.

Inder replied to Reddy90 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Reddy90 wrote:

I've added a picture of the set up If it helps here a little k to a video on Google drive showing the slipping https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLoNv02BMwznmdmN4gbYbJ6LordX1qkU/view?u...

The smallest sprocket looks very close to the dropout. Is the cassette the correct one for the freehub body on the trainer? If so, is it definitely seated on the freehub body properly? 

Sniffer | 3 years ago
1 like

Check for wear on your chain.  Chain checker tools are cheap and simple to use.  If your chain is too worn it will slip on the cassette.

I am assuming it is a new cassette on the trainer?  The cassette on the bike will have worn with the old chain and may not slip.  You may, however, need a new one when you go back to riding outside.

Sniffer replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes
Reddy90 replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thansk will take a look at that the cassette on the trainer is a bit newer . But will definitely take a look at the chain

iandusud replied to Reddy90 | 3 years ago
1 like

That looks like an 11 speed cassette. Are you sure you're using an 11 speed chain? Have you adjusted the indexing to match your trainer? 

Latest Comments